5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book

3.0 out of 5 stars Proof in the pudding
Published on 26 Sep 2011 by redordead

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Bake (Australian Women's Weekly) (Hardcover)
I saw this book whilst in Australia and had to buy it as soon as I got home. I have several baking cookbooks but this is by far the best. I am quickly working my way through the 600+ pages of recipes. There is just one ingredient, wheatencornflour, that is used in a few of the recipes that I can't seem to get hold of in the UK. There are lots of photographs throughout the book. I've had several great comments about cakes that I have made out of this book. There syrup cake section of the books is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literally The Only Baking Book You Will Ever Need..., 15 Sep 2010
This review is from: Bake (Australian Women's Weekly) (Hardcover)
This book is a testament to the fact you should never judge a book by its cover. The packaging is not exactly glamorous, but look inside and give it a chance and you'll find it's a baking book well worth investing in. This is my Go To book for all baked goods. I have a LOT of baking books - Mary Berry, Nigella etc - but this one is my absolute out and out favourite.

The recipes are divine and there is plenty to excite even experienced bakers. My own personal revelation was the mud cakes that feature in the Chocolate section of the book; I'd never even heard of mud cake (a moist, gooey, almost brownie-esque cake with a texture a bit like cheesecake) before I came across this book, and now I can make about 6 different variants on the theme, all of which have been extremely well received by family and colleagues.

Aside from the clear instructions, lovely pictures and straight-forward sectioning of the book (chocolate; butter cakes; fruit cakes; slices; biscuits; muffins etc.), each chapter also contains a double-page spread of handy baking tips designed to improve your overall baking performance. If you have a glut of fruit or veg you need to use up, there is almost guaranteed to be a recipe to assist you in here somewhere if you take a look in the index, as this book is so enormous at nearly 700 pages, often with two recipes per page.

I absolutely love this book and I'd recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 May 2009
F. Al-hilal (Kuwait) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bake (Australian Women's Weekly) (Hardcover)
This book is one of the books that have a variety of delicious recipes and easy to follow methods. I specially love the butter cakes, and I've had many positive compliments for the cakes from family members. Definitely a cook book you don't want to miss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bake (Australian Women's Weekly), 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Bake (Australian Women's Weekly) (Hardcover)
I love this book, it is a seriously hefty tome, that will no doubt get plenty of use in my kitchen. The only downside to me is that there is not a photo included for every recipe. Also, be aware that if you have any Australian Women's Weekly baking books already, then it is likely that you may already have some of these recipes, as it seems to be an anthology of the AWW baking books.

The book has lovely, glossy, heavy-weight paper, and the photos that are included are of the usual high standard that I expect from the AWW books. There are also lots of hints and tips included, with all of the basic methods of baking broken down into steps, with photos. This is a book not only for accomplished bakers, but also for beginners too.

I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 26 Aug 2010
This review is from: Bake (Australian Women's Weekly) (Hardcover)
I love this cook book and it is always my first port of call when I want to make some sweet treats. All the recipes I have tried so far have been tasty and complete success(apart from one of my cakes falling to bits due to a lack of a springform tin in my artillery). This is by far my favourite cook book on my bookshelf and I wouldn't be without it. My boyfriend will also testify to its greatness!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best !, 30 April 2010
Bianca Serban - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bake (Australian Women's Weekly) (Hardcover)
I am very happy with my choice. It is a complete guide to baking and it's easy to follow and cook from.

3.0 out of 5 stars Proof in the pudding, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: Bake (Australian Women's Weekly) (Hardcover)
I was very much looking forward to baking from this book. So many great recipes, it seemed. I baked about 5 items so far and they are rather dissapointing. I don't know whether this is my taste (I don't like my cakes too sweet) or the recipes weren't checked but the textures are not correct, too much syrup etc. I'm an experienced baker and recently realised that the best recipes are from ordinary cookery books because they are verified. I'm missing here just couple of classic recipes such as banana bread or a simplest carrot cake. Maybe I should try some more but I think I'll be reselling my copy very soon. There is a lot of brilliant tips though hence three stars, not one.

Bake (Australian Women's Weekly)
Bake (Australian Women's Weekly) by Australian Women's Weekly (Hardcover - 1 April 2008)
28.71
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available