5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book - perfect for 10-13 year olds!
Published on 29 Mar 2010 by A. O' Neill

1.0 out of 5 stars What?
I got a book token from my gran in 2010, and she told me to buy something. The only things this token would buy was this, and The Joshua Files. Ah. Because I only really read Pratchett, I found both these strange,alien titles hard to swallow.
Naturally, I went for the one with the big scary dinosaur on the front. It was a little weird at first, and I could hardly...
Published 20 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book - perfect for 10-13 year olds!, 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: Z-Rex (Z Rex Trilogy) (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my 11 year-old nephew and he loved it - he simply couldn't put it down! He has been a big fan of Steve Cole's Astrosaurs and Cows in Action books and now he is desperate to read the sequel to this. It seemed ideal for 10-13 year olds. My nephew's a good reader but not ready for the teenage issues found in many longer books. I read it too and felt this book was perfectly pitched, bridging the gap between shorter chapter books and older young adult fiction. It was gripping and exciting with loads of action and I loved the two central characters of Adam and the dinosaur. A big thumbs up from us!

5.0 out of 5 stars z rex, a brilliant book!, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Z-Rex (Kindle Edition)
This book is really something worth reading, and would reccomend to anyone! I actually bought it for my brother but ended up reading it before he did! I am 14 years old and a girl. So really this book appeals to a range of ages and is great not just for boys. I am a Steve Cole fan and own 10 books from cows in action series. But this was a very brilliant and one of my favorite of his.
,~ flo

5.0 out of 5 stars Z-Rex, 18 April 2012
Sam (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Z-Rex (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my 10 year old son who is an avid reader. He really enjoyed this and has read the sequal Z-Raptor too. Just waiting for the 3rd book which we have on pre-order. I would recommend this book to boys from maybe 9+ if they are good readers as the book is an 11+.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, strange, but good, 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: Z-Rex (Paperback)
Adam is 14, his dad works for a computer design company, when he gets a new company to pay for his research he leaves for a couple of days, but when he doesn't return Adam starts to worry, then he gets chased by men with guns who clearly mean to hurt him, but more worrying is the dinosaur chasing him. Who should he be more afraid of?
Z.Rex is a highly intelligent dinosaur, he can talk, write, read and logically think situations through. Paired up with Adam they have to save Dad and find out exactly what is going on.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. When I was younger I was mad for dinosaurs so i figured this would be OK. The book starts off really well and gets you right in the action, the scene is set and the characters come to life.
I actually really liked Z.Rex himself, he doesn't come across as scary, or intimidating which is usually essential for a dinosaur, but I can feel his intelligence and I suppose it makes him feel more human, so you get a connection to him. I was hoping he would make it through and get a happy ending.
Adam is a cool kid, not afraid to go for it, willing to risk himself for his dad and Z. He doesn't give up no matter what and comes up with different ways round things. He has the odd moment of self doubt and weakness (as all humans do) but he always gets back up again. He's a true little action hero in the making.

The plot moves quite fast and there are a lot of twists and turns, there is a lot of question about who Adam can trust which makes you question everyone too.
I have to admit I actually really enjoyed the book, there were some bits that didn't quite make sense such as the dinosaur having wings. (WHY!?!) But the rest was good.
I read it quite quickly and wanted to know more, I know there is a sequel so I may have to request that.
This would be perfect for 9-12 year olds, especially boys, a mixture of Jurassic Park, Video Games and adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Z-rex, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Z-Rex (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book. Out of the whole trilogy this was the only one I hadn't read before. Tons of action and great fun to read. I recommend this to anyone aged 10 and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Z-Rex (Paperback)
This book is brilliant! anyone between 10 and 13 will love it! It has everything from a hyper evolved dinosaur to mad scientists. Its best if I don't reveal anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars For dinosaur lovers!, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Z-Rex (Paperback)
I read this when we did Readathon at school; I'm in year 8.

An utterly amazing book that ay dinosaur / Jurrasic Park lovers will love! The author is the imaginative Steve Cole, who has made other dinosaur stories, including Astrosaurs and Z. Rex's sequels: Z. Raptor and Z. Apocalypse. Normal teenager Alex Adlar has his world turned upside down when his dad doesn't come home from a special meeting for works. A group of people from `Geneflow Solutions' come to kidnap him, then suddenly a flying green dinosaur wipes out Geneflow workers and saves Adam, even though his flat falls down. Soon, Geneflow come to get Adam again, but he is suddenly saved again by the Z. Red, Zed.
Knowing that Zed and Adam are being hunted, Zed flies from New Mexico to Edinburgh, Scotland. Geneflow find them and kidnap them. They take them to their HQ in Scotland still. Zed is forced to fight a Y. Rex. Fortunately, Zed just about wins and saves Adam and his dad, Bill Adler.
A sad ending occurs though, Zed has to leave as he no longer `fits in with this world'. Full of suspense, blood and adventure. A book that I highly recommend to fans of dinosaurs and Anthony Horowitz novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 7 Oct 2011
Mark Greenley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Z-Rex (Paperback)
My 10 year old son has this book along with Z Raptr and he loves them he likes reading anything with Dibo's in it but likes these books the best

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicr, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Z-Rex (Kindle Edition)
I like it but it is a basic story line the author could have put more effort into the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardback with a 3D Dino, 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: Z-Rex (Z Rex Trilogy) (Hardcover)
I got the hardback version that has a weird beveled dinosaur on the cover. It looks quite decent, can't say I have read it tho.

Z-Rex
Z-Rex by Steve Cole (Paperback - 2 Sep 2010)