Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 January 2005
Lady Grace Cavendish grew up at the court of Queen Elizabeth I. When her mother died after accidentally drinking poison meant for the queen, Elizabeth took the responsibility of securing Grace's future upon herself. Now thirteen years old in the spring of 1569, Grace is a Maid of Honor to the queen, and the time has come for her betrothal. Even though she will not have to marry for three more years, Grace still dreads being betrothed. Elizabeth plans a lavish ball where Grace may choose her future husband from among three suitors. Everything goes as planned, until the day after the ball -- when one of Grace's rejected suitors is found dead, and the man she has chosen for her betrothed is the prime suspect! Now Grace must get to the bottom of the mystery and find the real killer so that she may clear the name of her future husband.
I highly recommend this series to readers who love a combination of historical fiction and mystery. Because it is written as Grace's diary, it also has a lot of appeal to fans of Dear America, The Royal Diaries, and other diary-format historical fiction. I can't wait to read more of Grace's adventures. I really enjoyed the historical setting and the diary format, and Grace is a very likable character.
on 17 March 2009
I am usually wary of series that seem to go on forever, but I am begging the authors of The Lady Grace Mysteries to go all the way to Z! I began reading them at 10, and even now I still find them entralling and un-put-downable. Grab a book and some form of chocolate and enter the Elizabethan world of Grace Cavendish...
on 20 January 2005
When Lady Sarah, a fellow Maid of Honor to Queen Elizabeth I, disappears, apparently having eloped with the dashing young Captain Drake, thirteen-year-old Lady Grace Cavendish takes it upon herself to discover the truth of Lady Sarah's whereabouts. Her discoveries lead her to believe that rather than leaving of her own free will, Lady Sarah may have been kidnapped. Grace decides to disguise herself as a boy, and along with her friend Masou, a tumbler at the court, stows away aboard Captain Drake's ship in the hope of rescuing her, and finds herself facing a dangerous adventure.
I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoyed the first Lady Grace Mystery, as well as to new readers who enjoy reading a blend of historical fiction and mystery. I also really love the historical setting. I look forward to reading more of Grace's adventures in upcoming books in this series.
on 26 February 2008
I bought this book for my daughter who has the complete series of Lady Grace Mysteries (so far..)She was so enthusiastic about she had finished reading it the day after she got it! Naturally, I couldn't resist reading it myself. What excellent well-written stories these are! I hope the series continues for a long time as it is refreshing to find well-constructed and articulate children's books like these that never disappoint.
on 9 January 2008
My mum got me this book for school! I loved it so much I've to all the books up to the letter I. I think that any person who likes history or diary set books should buy this book! These books are so good you can get them for just everyday reading!
on 19 September 2010
I have read this book and it was really good. I enjoyed it thoroughly and read it in a day. I decided to read the rest of the series, and today I have ordered books 5 and 6. Also these books have glossaries to help you understand them. When I first saw the glossary I was a bit put off because I didn't want to have to concentate a lot on a book. I bought it anyway and I was pleasantly surprised! I would really recomend it.
on 21 January 2010
I enjoyed this book!
It is about a girl called lady grace who helps the queen Elizabeth 1.

In this story one of lady grace's suitors has been murdered.
Her other suitor has been arrested for the crime.
lady grace doesn't think it was him and goes on a mission to find out who actually killed him.

I recommend this book to those who like a good murder or a interesting story.

for ages 10 onwards
on 24 February 2014
I bought this for my daughter after a friend had recommended it to her - I thought she was too young.....The book has a modern cover, but is actually an old story originally published in 2004. This book is the first in a series of 12 books.

The Lady Grace Mysteries are a detective fiction series about the escapades of Lady Grace Cavendish, a maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth I. The books are written in the style of a diary. Each book sees her trying to solve a mystery of the royal court. The stories are set in 1569 and 1570, and there are twelve books so far.

My daughter has started the book but it isnt as easy to read as other books she loves reading and for that reason it has lingered on the book shelf a little!
on 21 August 2009
one of my favourite mystery books ever with everything on her mind theres the point off geting married, then theres the situation of a murder. its brilliant. i am 9 years old.
on 19 June 2012
I was recommended the Lady Grace series for my daughter by a friend. Initially, I was concerned that the use of tudor languange would unnerve my daughter as she is not the most confident of readers. However, she loves history and the combination of a diary format from a plucky heroine and historical mystery proved compelling for her. She has now read three of the books in order and on the last one, was confident enough to read it all by herself - something she has never done before!

A great series of historical mystery adventures.