on 6 December 2015
Great story, as they all are. Shame this copy from the Kindle store is missing almost all chapter pages and several others. Suggest Kindle fix it to avoid getting complaints. The book is the best so far in terms of action and excitement, can't wait to read the rest.
on 31 December 2012
This is a thrilling instalment in the series. The storyline takes Tom to Greece where he must battle his most dangerous foe to date. The Ordeen is a terrifying entity and the only way that it can be defeated is to infiltrate a labyrinthine palace of horrors with demons and other creatures test his resolve. One of the best books from the series I have read to far, it kept me gripped throughout and I can't wait to read the next book.
on 23 August 2014
This book is really cool but it is also sad I didn't think 2 people were going to die. But Claw, Blood and Bone are cute. I think "Joseph Delaney" should do a short book of the dogs like what it's like and you read their thoughts. But anyway this was an amazing book!
on 7 May 2015
Another awesome gripping novel by the amazing Joseph Delaney!
This fantastic book urges you to read on and is so good I've read it 4 times!
Do not read before bedtime!
I'm not surprised it's called the 'Spook'!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR 9-13 YEAR OLDS!!!!!!
Above all I beg you to buy this amazing book as it is one of the best books I've ever read!

Jack Rundle-Brown
Kindle Customer Aged 10
on 21 July 2009
I have looked forward to and enjoyed very much each of the new books in this series, and this one did not dissapoint, but I do have a couple of quibbles.

Firstly, yes, like other reviewers I missed the extra 100 or so pages, it was too short, only because I enjoy these books and so want them to be at least as long as the last ones.

But my big dissapointment is...why, why, why, before the series is complete, change the cover format? It was the different and not mainstream cover of The Spooks Apprentice that caught my eye and made me pick it up and bye it, and as a collector of childrens hardback books (the ones I like anyway) I have looked forward to completing this good looking set. THEN THEY GO AND CHANGE THE COVERS! When I first saw it advertised on Amazon I thought it must be an American version, but no, it wasn't. Why didn't they wait until the end and then if they wanted to they could have re issued the books with the new covers. I was not happy!

I wonder also about why the author has either put himself under so much pressure or been put under pressure from his publisher (I suspect the later) to write two additional books in addition to carrying on with the series. Why now, and is that why the Spooks Sacrifice was shorter? Why not finish the series and then write the two add on books. Fortunatlely, it didn't affect the quality of the writing, there was just less of it. I hope that the next book is a thicker one...real shame though about the cover change, although I guess children will like the new pictures, I'm a 43 year old child and I prefer the old covers, so there...whoever made the change I hope a big scarey boggart comes along and sits on your head.
on 23 November 2014
Another thrilling tale about Tom. I don't read regularly but these books keep me wanting more every time I finish a chapter I can't wait to start the next.
Looking forward to the next story in this series.
on 7 July 2009
Tom is back with his original master, passing the time with his studies when he gets attacked by an assassin. Forewarned by Alice in a method which the master Spook disapproves of, Tom manages to keep himself alive. However, assassins are the least of his worries when he's asked by his mother to return with. Back in Greece, where she normally lives, evil is brewing - more than just the Fiend. The Ordeen is making preparations to return, which would of course kill most people in the area and make the earth a terrible place to be. The condundrum facing Tom, is that if he joins his mother, he'll forsake all further training as a Spook.

I have deliberately with-held information about this, it's one of my favourite parts in the book. Tom faces a lot of internal conflict: naturally he has ties to his mother, even though he doesn't see her much, and wants to discover who she really is. He has strong ties with his current master, for he's taught him so much. And he naturally wants to help make the world a safer place to be. Being pulled in two directions provides much to think about.

There are a couple of moments in the story which took me completely by surprise - real, strong plot twists which match the twists in the previous book. This installment was perhaps more enjoyable than The Spook's Mistake because it delved into Tom's family life. I like learning how characters interact with their family, especially if contact is limited. Additionally, the whole Alice/Tom story line really blossoms. Not romantically - everything is kept blush free. It is Tom's desire to develop their friendship which clashes against his master's wish for the two youngsters to keep apart. Dark magic has no place in the life of light magic - at least that's how his master views the world. Unfortunately, just like life in our world, black and white is divided with varying shades of grey.

Even if this is the first Wardstone Chronicle's book you read, I whole-heartedly recommend it.
on 11 October 2013
The 6th book in the series and the 2nd I've read. Received from the publisher via a goodreads giveaway, in return for a review.
Tom, the spook's apprentice, has to go on a long adventure in order to defeat the Ordeen. There are lots of battles along the way, lots of different characters and emotional dilemmas.
Well written and interesting. I'm actually really looking forward to reading this series from the beginning.
on 20 July 2009
First off, I am such a huge fan that I ordered thru UK rather than wait months for it to come to the USA. Unfortunately, I that found this book disturbing--and not in a good way. (Yes, I STILL gave it 3 stars). The story telling was great and I love the way Delaney creates a "chicken skin" type atmosphere...very nice.

But the first rule of writing is to make your characters "sins" forgivable...and I found it hard (and near impossible) to forgive Mam's sins. I know, it makes Alice and Tom perfectly suited but there are some sins of the "father" and in this case "mother" that can't help but leave a stain on the children. Now I'm not so sure how much I like either character.

I also found myself wanting to fast forward to the end of the book because unlike his other books where each page was an adventure and a scary kind of wonder to God-knows-where, in this book, we all knew about the big battle at the end and the only question was how it was going to unfold.

It appears there will be another book...let us hope that Delaney gives the reader a real reason to continue to root for Tom and Alice.
on 10 February 2014
The Spooks saga is amazing!!! Ticks all the boxes for a good supernatural story telling. Coming from the same parts of Lancashire and being told of the Pendle witches this has a great deal of romance and nostalgia I absolutely love it!!!!