5.0 out of 5 stars Breath-taking!
Well, 'Mossflower' by Brian Jacques, where shall I start? The novel begins with the explanations of Martin the Warrior's imprisonment for straying into wildcat territory in Mossflower wood. It also introduces Gonff the mousethief, who provides much of the humour throughout the epic tale with a character named Dinny, a fine digging mole.
The wildcat King Verdauga dies...
Published on 3 Aug 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars too easy
in this book it seemed like it was too easy for the goodies to win battles you end up feeling sympathetic to the bad ones. my favorite character was gingervere. This is a good book but redwall is better
Published on 2 Sep 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath-taking!, 3 Aug 2002
This review is from: Mossflower (Redwall) (Paperback)
The wildcat King Verdauga dies and is succeeded by his daughter Tsarmina in less than honest circumstances. The story moves along swiftly with so much happening constantly.
Full of surprises and cliffhangers, 'Mossflower' is surely one of the best books I have ever encountered. The evil character of Tsarmina is always opposed by the honest, kind woodlanders always searching for their freedom. From a distance, it may sound like a good-versus-evil children's book, but it is so much more than that. Full of bloodthirsty battles, murders and thrilling encounters with other creatures, 'Mossflower' is wonderful.
The best part of the book must be the journey Martin and his friends take from Mossflower to Salamandastron and the animals and messes they encounter. The journey back to Mossflower is equally stunning and the climax is literature of the highest standard.
'Mossflower' retains some of the mystery and riddle surrounding 'Redwall', the series' first novel but there is much more action in this book and the female villian of Tsarmina is well-written. All in all, 'Mossflower' turns out to be a better book than 'Redwall'.
The Salamandastron legend of 'Mossflower' pushes you on to want to read more and I certainly do.
Right, off I am to read 'Mattimeo' now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remains with You, 17 Mar 2004
This review is from: Mossflower (Redwall) (Paperback)
I read this book when I was 12, just over 10 years ago, and it stayed with me to the extend that I deliberately came to Amazon today to write that! It was the book that triggered my love of reading, and reading Gormenghast this week, I noted similarities between this very adult book, and the themes Brian Jaques covered in his children's books. A must read for the 9-14 age group!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mossflower, 8 Dec 2001
This review is from: Mossflower (Redwall) (Paperback)
THere was one review which caught my eye:
This is the story of how Martin came to Mossflower (where his father was actually born, but he doesn't know that), and defeats the evil wildcat, Tsarmina. This book is nothing short of an epic and i just finished it yesterday for the fifth time. It is one of the longest of the Redwall series, and one of the best. Also, being chronologically sandwiched between the two best in the series - "Martin the Warrior" and "The Legend of Luke" - makes it even better than it was when it was first written 11 years ago. The character of Martin is very likeable and friendly, though he is a dangerous fighter. A classic!
I really agree with that person who wrote it; he/she is a person after my own mind. I'd make one or two corrections to that rview, though; Luke Martin's father was born at St. Ninian's but was chased out by evil wildcat Lord Verdauga Greeneyes.
Out of Martin the Warrior, The legend of Luke and Mossflower, my favourite characters were:
Boar, Lady Amber, Martin
Welff Tiptip, Garraway B., Cardo

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book from start to finish!, 25 Mar 2003
P. Morris "Ebony Phoenix" (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mossflower (Redwall) (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was 17 and it had me hooked from start to finish I couldn't put it down. Now I'm almost 24 I'd still rate this and the remainder of the Redwall series as amongst some of my favorite stories.
Brian Jacques has that rare ability to steal you away into his story as is the mark of all great authors. I highly reccomend this book to readers of ALL ages as I'm sure just like me you will find yourself coming back to it time after time after time, believe me the door to Redwall abbey is always open for friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 mice,a mole and a shrew are searching for a volcano ., 17 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Mossflower (Audio Cassette)
A young mouse named Martin the Warrior and his friends,Gonff,Dinny and Log-a-log go questing for the fire mountain of Salamandastron. There they meet Boar the mighty badger warrior, fierce enough to defeat Tsamina, the widcat queen of the fortress Kotir. This book is funny and exiting. I rate with *****. It appeals to children aged between 9~15

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book about bravery, love and the triumph of good over evil, 2 April 2010
Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mossflower (Redwall) (Paperback)
As a child, Brian Jacques books were my favourite things to read, I just ploughed my way through as many as I could find! This however, I think is my favourite out of all of them.

It is essentially, a tale of the triumph of good over evil, but on top of that it's a story about love and friendship and bravery. The characters are all wonderfully endearing and when I was younger I used to think of them often, not as characters from a book but as friends. Martin the warrior in particular was a character who particular appealed to me, as I think he will to everyone who reads this book.

The brilliant thing about the Redwall books is that they are such a mixture of intriguing riddles, battles against evil forces, humour and wonderful characterisation. I can't tell you how I often I could live in Redwall Abbey and share in their feasts and fun.

I started reading the Redwall series when I was 6 or 7, but of course it will vary with how well a child reads (I was an early starter). However, no matter their age, children are sure to be completely captivated by this book and indeed by all of the Redwall series (of which there are a lot by the way, so prepare to shell out lots to satisfy your newly voracious reader). And let me tell you a secret - I'm 20 years old, and I still re-read them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Often forgotten, one of the BEST!!!!!, 26 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Mossflower (Redwall) (Hardcover)
This is the story of how Martin came to mossflower (where his father was actually born, but he doesn't know that), and defeats the evil wildcat, Tsarmina. This book is nothing short of an epic and i just finished it yesterday for the fifth time. It is one of the longest of the Redwall series, and one of the best. Also, being chronologically sandwiched between the two best in the series - "Martin the Warrior" and "The Legend of Luke" - makes it even better than it was when it was first written 11 years ago. The character of Martin is very likeable and friendly, though he is a dangerous fighter. A classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars outstandingly amazing !!!!, 12 April 2001
This review is from: Mossflower (Redwall) (Paperback)
I am 23 years old and was recommended this book by my father, we both thouroughly enjoyed it, whichwill let you know that this book is definately not just for children of a youger age but for children of all ages, whether 9yrs old or 90yrs old everyone will thoroughly enjoy this fantastic tale. it was superbly well written it transports you into the world of redwall so well you can actually smell the food as it is described and feel the weather with the characters. I shall now be aiming to read the other books in the redwall series, and will await new releases with baited breath.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book of Brian Jacques work!, 11 Jun 1998
This review is from: Mossflower (Redwall) (Paperback)
This is about a mouse warrior named Martin who ventures into Mossflower Woods and is greeted by an army of ferrets, weasels, rats and stoats. Then, is taken to the castle Kotir where there is a wildcat family with a nice father and a vicious daughter. He then vows that he will kill Tsarmina the daughter and takes a journey to Salamandastron the Mountian to find Boar the fighter. With very funny companions. I suggest this book to people young and old, fantasy lovers or not. This book Rocks!!! Read it, its the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was the second one I read, and it's still the best!, 20 July 2001
This review is from: Mossflower (Redwall) (Paperback)
Mossflower is the best as it includes lots of battle strategies and plots, that nonredwall fans couldn't imagine for animals! Riddles play a vital part to most Redwall stories in here, and makes good links to the other books, Mossflower being at the core of the other series, not Martin the Warrior, as Martin doesn't tell others of his past. For all ages, and people who know animals are more than what meets the eye..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Mossflower (Redwall)
Mossflower (Redwall) by Brian Jacques (Paperback - 3 Aug 2006)
5.59