5.0 out of 5 stars cant be all THAT bad....
It kind of says something about an author when they write a book intended for readers aged 9 or above and still have it read by people aged 19 or more - like myself.
I first heard of this particular series on a book review T.V programme, and decided it might be worth a look. When I got the book, I could hardly put it down. That was when I was about 12.
7 years...
Published on 14 Mar 2003 by Martyn Currill

3.0 out of 5 stars gift
Gift
Published 3 months ago by Tina

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best of the whole Redwall series, 28 Nov 2005
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
Even though this is the first book it is my favourite. The riddles are harder to solve, the quest is of more dire need and it all happens around the Abbey. In the new books, although they are still enjoyable, I find myself thinking that Brian Jacques is feeling a bit stretched on the plot basis and is having to go further and further a field to find a story. Basically, everything that needs to be discovered around the Abbey is discovered in this book. I would seriously suggest reading it. Cluny the Scourage is terrifying and Matthais is adorable and although he is a mouse we can identify with him and watch him grow into the Abbey Warrior. It is a must read for anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars A exiting and very good book, 12 Mar 2001
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
Redwall is avery good book and I like the idea of the animals being the characters in it and that they are in a medival time and use bows and arrows. My favorate carackter is Skipper of Otters and Silent Sam the dibbun squirel. tale was one of the best redwall books it completely absorbed me into it. Redwall books are one of the best seriese I read and I recomend them over Harry Potter and Goosebumps. Brian Jaques is one of the best writers in existance and it must be hard making up riddles and songs for the thirteen books. Brain Jaques has a very good idea of starting the book when a redwaller is teling the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redwall, 10 July 2004
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
Redwall is one of the best books in the series I have ever read. It is about a rat, called Cluny, who comes to invade the abbey with his army. The main problem is... Cluny is said to be invincible! Can Matthias and the rest of Redwall Abbey defeat him?
My favourite characters are Cornflower, Jess,Basil Stag Hare and Sam.
Although I give the book 5 stars it isn't my favourite Redwall book. Mossflower, which I like best, is way better partly because some of its characters have quirky personalities and others are more solemn.
However I would definitely advise you to read it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to make furry friends...and foes!, 1 Jun 2001
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
Brian Jacques' "Redwall" series, starring hero Matthias mouse, has made him a renowned children's story-teller. "Redwall" is the book that started it all, and introduces us to Redwall Abbey, where the Abbot is in charge of a peace-loving community of mice, who are eager to do good to all men...errr...animals. Yes, there are no humans in this fantasy world of furry friends and foes - only animals: mice, sparrows, badgers, squirrels, and of course evil rats, stoats, ferrets, foxes, and snakes - each with its own unique characteristics and contribution to make to this fantasy world.
Conflict arises when Redwall Abbey is threatened by the notorious Cluny the Scourge, an evil one-eyed rat, with his band of equally nasty critters who want to claim Redwall as their own. The Redwall creatures need to resort to desperate measures to defend their territory, but ultimately it is Matthias mouse who comes to the rescue, after discovering the famous sword of his hero, Martin the Warrior, and emulating his feats.
Certainly there are weaknesses. Despite the clearly religious setting of the Abbey, it never becomes clear what kind of religion this is, and it never really functions in the story-line. There is a great deal of hellish imagery used in connection with Cluny's evil army, where rats "look like the devil himself", use expletives such as "by Satan's whiskers" and "by the claws of hell thunder", and join the devil in hell when they die. Perhaps Jacques is borrowing Christianity as a traditional image of the powers of heaven over against the powers of hell, to underline the struggle between good and evil. Matthias mouse also has his flaws. He is at times rather anti-authoritarian, arrogant, bad-tempered and unjustifiably rude to his enemies, frequently resorting to rather horrifying name calling that hardly befits a role-model.
But despite this, it's not hard to see why children love this series. The fantasy world Jacques has created is compelling, and yet not complicated like that of Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings". The good characters are loveable, the evil ones equally despicable. The conflict between good and evil is easy to identify. There is no lack of originality, as readers are treated to forms of brilliant military strategy that they have never dreamed about. The creatures' creative schemes of attack and defence, and ingenious attempts to overcome the enemy are constantly charming. There is action aplenty, suspense, humour, even a touch of romance. And children are easily able to identify with Matthias, and join him on his journey to maturity.
This series does not have the makings of a classic like Tolkien's work, because it is doubtful that the appeal of this book will extend much beyond its intended readers of ages 9-12. Adults who continue to enjoy Rowling's Harry Potter and Tolkien's Bilbo Baggins may find this book too uncomplicated and childish. But it would be unfair to criticize Jacques too much for this, because the simplicity of the story-line is precisely what has made this series appeal so strongly to the age group it is written for, and it is this strength that lies behind its incredible success. In the end, this book needs to be judged on its own merits - as a children's fantasy about animals. As such it is unquestionably successful, and deservedly so. Don't doubt for a moment that by introducing your family to Jacques' furry friends and foes you will be doing them a great favour!

5.0 out of 5 stars A joyous, nigh-on perfect tale, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
CHEATED! That's how I feel! Hoodwinked, hard-done-by and cheated that I hadn't known about the Redwall series when I was younger. I know I would've loved them. Ah, well, it doesn't matter: I've read it now, and do you know what? I love it anyway.

The first in the series, the eponymous 'Redwall', reads like Brian Jacques unearthed an ancient, long-forgotten classic fable of good-versus-evil - there's a quality to it that seems to make it belong to a bygone time and place.

This book seems to do it all: it's funny, sad, exciting, has lots of fast-paced battles and narrow escapes, and is full of joyous moments where the main characters simply enjoy life and one another's company. You could argue that it's tale of good-versus-evil is a shade simplistic, but if anything I think it's simplicity only adds to Redwall. Talking woodland creatures they may be, but you cannot deny the purity and heart this storytelling has.

Jacques is a brilliant author, and the fact that is was his debut is even more impressive. You're never left standing still or rushing to far ahead, there's never a dull moment, and his use of language is beautiful and varied (although, having been written in the 80s, some turns of phrases do show their age somewhat, but it takes nothing away from the overall book).

Well, I'm glad I've finally cottoned on to Redwall: better late than never. Mossflower, here I come!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts on Redwall, 26 Sep 2014
This review is from: Redwall (Kindle Edition)
Having read a smattering of Brian Jacques books when I was in primary school, reading and revisiting the flagship Redwall series was always going to be a treat. So in light of that, why not start with the first book published? Well I certainly wasn't disappointed, finding the book to be a straightforward yet nonetheless compelling read. Crammed full of wonderful descriptive language, Jacques casts a unique and fine balance between rich dialogue and solid storytelling complemented by an excellent cast of characters. Matthias proved to be as heroic as Cluny was evil and aside from the mice, squirrels and moles of Redwall Abbey, Jacques treats the reader to a plethora of other eccentric and unique woodland characters including an army of shrews, ferocious sparrows, a dangerously pompous owl, an aristocratic cat, a hypnotic adder and even a mad Colonel Blimp of a hare. For me personally, it was Constance the Badger who stole the show, being as kind and steadfast as she was intelligent and courageous (I'm fairly sure she ticked off a good half of the antagonists!). If I were to criticise, I would have liked maybe a little more of the fighter between Matthias and Asmodeus the adder and perhaps the ending was a little rushed but I would be more than happy to recommend this book. Animals of Farthing Wood meets Lord of the Rings? Sounds good to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best modern fantasy story for children since the Hobbit?, 1 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Redwall (Audio Cassette)
Redwall is a story teller's tour de force, from the opening scenes we are treated with delight to the bumblings of the heroic mouse, immediately contrasted with the evil of Cluny the Scourge. My eldest daughter loved the battle sequences while my youngest son enjoyed the activities of all the creatures, but especially the moles. Brian Jacques' book is rich in personifictaion and each of the animals is endowed with a delightful personality which children of all ages will enjoy. But, perhaps the most significant thing is the sense of moral and good old-fashioned belief that it's hallowed pages instill into our children: Even adults can enjoy the sly pastiche of Apocalypse Now and the book succeeds in raising ethical opposition to Thomas Aquinas' conditions of a just war, writing in a Benedictine environment, similar to that inhabitated by the creatures of this novel. A Triumph!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy of the highest order, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
This was one of my very first childhood reads and I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten all about this series until I was reminded about it within a Goodreads group (thank you, Goodreads!) I quickly went on to Amazon and bought the novel, eagerly awaiting its arrival.

I'm pleased to say it is still one of my favourite books and I'd wished I'd re-read it before embarking on writing my own novels because I think Brian Jacques is a master storyteller. His writing is the perfect blend of humour, grit and description that will universally appeal. It is certainly a children's book but even now at the (young-ish) age of 27 I still loved it and can't wait to read it to my kids. Now, onto the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars "The first redwall book and one of the best", 8 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Redwall (Hardcover)
When I read this book the first time it was stupendous! Since then I have read it several times and I have to say that it is a wonderful book. The villian Cluny is horrid and he is one of the best badddies in the Redwall series. Matthias is a excellent character, he is a true warrior and he must never think otherwise. I think Cornflower is a lovely girl and she is the perfect match for the feisty Matthias. I love Constance as well and I love the part where she lives the massive table and threatens to throw at Cluny and his henchmen. Jess and Sam are cool as well and I love the bit where jess attempts her climb to the top of the roof. All children should have this book in their collection because it is excellent and a must read. Moms and Dads pay attention. The first redwall book is defintley one of the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redwall - a book that is simply the best!, 13 Feb 1999
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
This book is about an abbey called Redwall, under attack by a rat called Cluny the Scourge and his horde in Mossflower wood. I think it's not fair that the creatures of Redwall are mice, voles, moles, otters, squirrels and badgers whilst Cluny's are rats, stoats and weasels. Now who`s going to win? It's pretty easy isn`t it? But wait - YOU have to read to find out....... What I like about this book is the way Brian Jaques describes what the animals look like and the way they do things. The words are so powerful the book sort of swallows me up so I imagine I'm there watching it all happen. I like the characters - some are grumpy,others are lively and jumpy. It's a good book for keen readers of my age (8) and above . There is a series of these books but it doesn't matter where you start - I highly recommend you to read any of them - particularly Redwall. They are all equally exciting!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Redwall
Redwall by Brian Jacques (Paperback - 3 Aug 2006)