5.0 out of 5 stars cant be all THAT bad....
It kind of says something about an author when they write a book intended for readers aged 9 or above and still have it read by people aged 19 or more - like myself.
I first heard of this particular series on a book review T.V programme, and decided it might be worth a look. When I got the book, I could hardly put it down. That was when I was about 12.
7 years...
Published on 14 Mar 2003 by Martyn Currill

3.0 out of 5 stars gift
Gift
Published 1 day ago by Tina

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best of the whole Redwall series, 28 Nov 2005
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
Even though this is the first book it is my favourite. The riddles are harder to solve, the quest is of more dire need and it all happens around the Abbey. In the new books, although they are still enjoyable, I find myself thinking that Brian Jacques is feeling a bit stretched on the plot basis and is having to go further and further a field to find a story. Basically, everything that needs to be discovered around the Abbey is discovered in this book. I would seriously suggest reading it. Cluny the Scourage is terrifying and Matthais is adorable and although he is a mouse we can identify with him and watch him grow into the Abbey Warrior. It is a must read for anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redwall, 10 July 2004
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
Redwall is one of the best books in the series I have ever read. It is about a rat, called Cluny, who comes to invade the abbey with his army. The main problem is... Cluny is said to be invincible! Can Matthias and the rest of Redwall Abbey defeat him?
My favourite characters are Cornflower, Jess,Basil Stag Hare and Sam.
Although I give the book 5 stars it isn't my favourite Redwall book. Mossflower, which I like best, is way better partly because some of its characters have quirky personalities and others are more solemn.
However I would definitely advise you to read it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A exiting and very good book, 12 Mar 2001
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
Redwall is avery good book and I like the idea of the animals being the characters in it and that they are in a medival time and use bows and arrows. My favorate carackter is Skipper of Otters and Silent Sam the dibbun squirel. tale was one of the best redwall books it completely absorbed me into it. Redwall books are one of the best seriese I read and I recomend them over Harry Potter and Goosebumps. Brian Jaques is one of the best writers in existance and it must be hard making up riddles and songs for the thirteen books. Brain Jaques has a very good idea of starting the book when a redwaller is teling the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bug's Life meets Watership Down, 7 Jan 2001
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
Really, I mean, a story about a load of furry woodland animals! That's Beatrix Potter-land. Well, all right, Richard "Watership Down" Adams did take the genre to a different level (I started it once but never finished it). What self-respecting child would read this stuff, or admit to reading it, let alone an adult? Well, I did! And I couldn't put it down! Brian Jacques has created a completely believable and endearing world of little creatures: the story is good, keeps you wanting to know what happens next; there's suspense; there's a mystery to puzzle out (where is the legendary sword of long-dead Martin the Warrior?); the dialogue is well done with all the major characters given a distinctive way of speaking; and the good guys win in the end. Remember how much fun Pixar had with ants and grasshoppers in "A Bug's Life"? I'm surprised Pixar haven't bought the rights to it (or maybe they have?). It's a lot of fun. Although it's obviously billed as "children's literature", some of the vocabulary might be a little hard for a child under 11. I'm reading it aloud to my 8- and 11-year-olds (my 17-year-old turned her nose up at it, though). And there's a whole series of these to keep enthusiasts happy! The New York Times ran a piece a while back about how sales of Jacques books have surged up in the wake of Harry Potter (those kids who desperately need something while waiting for the next book to come out). Jacques' book is more low-key, but has many similar ingredients for a good tale. I've re-read Redwall several times, but so far have not revisited any Harry Potter story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complex tale of adventure, friendship, and determination, 21 Dec 2000
By A Customer
The story of Redwall is a majestic mixture of adventure and friendship set in an imaginary world inhabited by animals of the woodlands. In the voices of Brian Jacques et al. these creatures take on an identity and have character unmatched by many a storyteller. The imagery developed in the rich language of the text appeals to young and old as you are swept into the lives of the friends and foes of this woodland community. There is a character for every listener to find a kindred spirit. The determination of each creature, struggles for survival, relationships which unfold, and the lavish descriptions of the forest, the characters, and the food all help to create an experience to be shared. It is a wonderful introduction to a series of books which our family has enjoyed for many years, and which has led to many discussions and activities. I would recommend it for very sturdy and adventuresome listeners ages 6 and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best modern fantasy story for children since the Hobbit?, 1 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Redwall (Audio Cassette)
Redwall is a story teller's tour de force, from the opening scenes we are treated with delight to the bumblings of the heroic mouse, immediately contrasted with the evil of Cluny the Scourge. My eldest daughter loved the battle sequences while my youngest son enjoyed the activities of all the creatures, but especially the moles. Brian Jacques' book is rich in personifictaion and each of the animals is endowed with a delightful personality which children of all ages will enjoy. But, perhaps the most significant thing is the sense of moral and good old-fashioned belief that it's hallowed pages instill into our children: Even adults can enjoy the sly pastiche of Apocalypse Now and the book succeeds in raising ethical opposition to Thomas Aquinas' conditions of a just war, writing in a Benedictine environment, similar to that inhabitated by the creatures of this novel. A Triumph!

5.0 out of 5 stars Redwall - a book that is simply the best!, 13 Feb 1999
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
This book is about an abbey called Redwall, under attack by a rat called Cluny the Scourge and his horde in Mossflower wood. I think it's not fair that the creatures of Redwall are mice, voles, moles, otters, squirrels and badgers whilst Cluny's are rats, stoats and weasels. Now who`s going to win? It's pretty easy isn`t it? But wait - YOU have to read to find out....... What I like about this book is the way Brian Jaques describes what the animals look like and the way they do things. The words are so powerful the book sort of swallows me up so I imagine I'm there watching it all happen. I like the characters - some are grumpy,others are lively and jumpy. It's a good book for keen readers of my age (8) and above . There is a series of these books but it doesn't matter where you start - I highly recommend you to read any of them - particularly Redwall. They are all equally exciting!!

3.0 out of 5 stars gift, 9 July 2014
Gift

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any child, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Redwall (Kindle Edition)
I grew up reading the Redwall books and always loved the wonderful tales woven by Brian Jacques. Now at 32 I've started to read the books with my son. He loves them as much as I do and hopefully will continue to read them as he grows. Giving me an excuse to read all the books again and to read all the new tales written since I stopped reading them many years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars childhood memories, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Redwall (Kindle Edition)
An excellent whimsical fiction fantasy for a young reader or child at heart. Once you read one you will want to read them all.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Redwall
Redwall by Brian Jacques (Paperback - 3 Aug 2006)
5.59