on 4 January 2007
I have a deep interest in Loos as my Great Grandfather fought there, therefore I try to gather and read as much as I can on this subject. However, on opening this book, I discovered that the photos used had little or nothing to do with the battle, the maps were poor and the text was littered with inaccuracies. Overall, not a very good take on the Battle of Loos.

This book bares no comparrision to that of 'Most Unfavourable Ground' which in my view is easily the best book on the subject.
on 17 November 2009
I would urge people to ignore the first puerile review. This book deals with the problems facing the British Army in general on the western front. It uses Loos as the typical example of the difficulties the British Army, and all armies had, of exploiting breakthroughs in enemy defences in the first war that was, in every sense, different to those that had gone before. It also focuses on the political and military view: how the British saw the western front, its place in British strategy and the lessons learned. It was never intended to be a detailed blow by blow account of the battle itself. Family historians should look elsewhere - as they would miss the point of this book entirely. When married to subsequent books on the the battles of 1916,17 and 18, one begins to see Loos, and to a greater extent the Somme, as important battles that had positive political and military results. It was the start of the British Army's learning curve, which by 1918, contributed to it becomming the most sophisticated army in the world.
on 6 January 2015