1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Talk Now! Learn Portuguese, 28 Oct. 2001
Iris Lawton "islandpup" (Azores, N. Atlantic Ocean) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Talk Now! Learn Portuguese: Essential Words and Phrases for Absolute Beginners (CD-ROM)
When the program arrived I, with great expectations, tore off the plastic and inserted the disk ready to finally learn. Not being a computer genius but one who has not had to read set-up files for many years, saw the program auto open and was surprised that there was no set-up feature. It displayed a CD disk illustration and I spent an hour or more trying to figure out how to actually get to the point where I understood how the program works to learn Portugese. That hour was spent constantly coming back to their ads for other programs. I was worried if there would be enough space left to contain actual teaching material. The CD arrived in a booklike container with 20 glossy, colourful pages of advertising, however, NOT A WORD on installation! Just ads. I think they could have used one of these pages to include an outline of how to run this program for those of us who wanted to start learning now!
Also, I am very diappointed that you cannot install the program and instead must run it with the disk in. This is most aggravating as I like to keep my small work area clean and have my disks stored away. This one feature, had I known about it, would have prevented me from purchasing this product. It is terrible to have this hassle because the company cannot trust me or others. Especially since any criminal can easily copy it so, the only thing not allowing installation to my HDD does is to create extra work for me.
Aside from these irritating problems the program works well and the method of teaching this complicated (to me anyway) language by using games and letting yourself hear the proper pronunciation and then hear your own is a good way to learn.
Overall though, other programs work the same way and do so without the hassle of having to keep the disk on your desk for your daily lessons. Plus, as good as this program is, there is a somewhat clumsy feel to it which I unfortunately cannot describe.
In fairness to the program, it does deliver what it says on the package but some of the little idiosyncracies that almost every program has and which I easily learn to live with, are much more annoying with this program, so for me personally, it simply does not feel quite up to standards.

Talk Now! Learn Portuguese: Essential Words and Phrases for Absolute Beginners