5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book.
I thought this book was fantastic!

The book is an easy read, and I found it very difficult to put down. It's about Richard, a wealthy but lonely man in LA who needs to do something more with his life. You don't feel particularly sorry for him, but get intricately involved in his life, as he develops a friendship with Anhil, who sells donuts and provides...
Published on 6 Jan 2007 by M. Dean

1.0 out of 5 stars The state of modern fiction (a fictional state)
A rich man in L.A. has a panic attack and spends the rest of the book spending money in an attempt to figure out why. Luckily, he has a LOT of money, so he gets excellent and immediate health care, books himself into a meditative retreat for an expensive spell, buys himself some new friends and, when his luxury house develops structural problems...why, he just rents...
Published on 14 Nov 2007 by Adam K.

‹ Previous | 116 17 18 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, obviously plotted, annoyingly over rated, waste of paper, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: This Book Will Save Your Life (Paperback)
Please for the love of god do not buy this book
it reads like a sad attempt at fiction by someone
whos never read a novel in his life
if you dont read much and are easily pleased
this novel will be a crushing dissapointment anyway
because i can safely say that if your able to read
and comprehend this review
you can write a better book than this
...monkeys with type writers

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this more than, ahem, Catcher in the Rye, 17 Dec 2009
Pastastic Matt (Lausanne, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Book Will Save Your Life (Paperback)
I know, I know, my headline will be a sacrilegious statement to many, but whilst it took me a long time to say out loud it's the truth (and I love Catcher in the Rye).

It's hard to describe why though... the story of the main character's gradual emotional thaw is delicately done, but for me the real draw of this book is its subtle unconscious commentary on society, namely the gradual erosion of real human relationships in the modern age and the potentially highly damaging 'insulation & isolation' afforded by great wealth earned early in life.

Put it this way, I've lent this to a bunch of people and only one of them wasn't blown away by it (and my theory on that one is that the main character's personality at the start of the book was too close for comfort!).

5.0 out of 5 stars LA is not for me, 28 May 2008
UK reader (Nr Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Book Will Save Your Life (Paperback)
This was bought as part of a 3 for 2 deal and was unsure as to whether I'd like it.

I really enjoyed the story - it was surreal, things that happened were crazy but it didn't ditract from the story.

One thing's for sure - LA life is not for me. Bring on the donuts!

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange, meandering little book. Good for book clubs., 30 Mar 2013
This is an unusual book. A guy gets a wake up call and the book follows the next few weeks of his life, which are full of twists and turns. It would be a good choice for a book club to read as there are lots of events to analyse and discuss, but otherwise I'm not sure I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 4 Feb 2013
As the book progresses the story gets more interesting but it will not save or even change your life. But it will keep you entertained whilst reading it

3.0 out of 5 stars Not amazing!, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: This Book Will Save Your Life (Paperback)
I found this book initally quite slow and took a while to get into. However the ending was good, so i would still say it is worth a read despite not being the best book i have ever read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed This, 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: This Book Will Save Your Life (Paperback)
If your looking for a book that ll make you laugh out loud this is one for you. It doesnt follow the norm in that there isnt really a story to it, more a journey with Richard out of his depression.. Maybe thats what the title is about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well I liked it, 1 Oct 2007
P. Moss - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Book Will Save Your Life (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - took a few pages to get into it but once I did I found it very funny, engaging and entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, refreshing read, 4 April 2007
Mr. D. J. Harper "djhworld" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Book Will Save Your Life (Paperback)
I purchased this book on the merit of its price and cover. It's true that you should never judge a book by its cover, but the dounts drew me in and I'm glad they did.

"This book will save your life" is a brilliant, refreshing, fast paced and enjoyable read. It introduces characters in such an elegant manner and brings them to life in the rather bizarre set of events that follows Richard Novak.

I was quite dissapointed to finish the final page, but I suppose that's a sign of a good book .

3.0 out of 5 stars doesn't do what the title suggests...., 13 Mar 2007
Paula "finally lanky" (Sutton In Ashfield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wouldn't say my life is changed (but would you expect this to happen from fiction book anyway??)but I do have a new author to add to my list of favourties.

The book was slightly disappointing, slow in places (which made me want to put it back on the shelf and start another book)but AM Homes' style of writing and ability to bring the characters to life made me finish the book because I needed to see if Richard had an happy ending; my perseverance was rewarded with splashes of entertaining reading.

It is the first book of AM Holmes that I have read but I liked her style enough to order The end of Alice. . .

‹ Previous | 116 17 18 | Next ›

This Book Will Save Your Life
This Book Will Save Your Life by A. M. Homes (Paperback - 29 Jan 2007)
5.59