5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Captivating, Brilliant.
Published on 26 July 2009 by Lukens

3.0 out of 5 stars A good historical romp
Published on 21 Nov 1999 by R. R. Lambert

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Captivating, Brilliant., 26 July 2009
Lukens (Leamington Spa, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
This was easily one of the best books I've ever read. There's a lot going on in the book, with it following the lives of three main characters in different threads for the majority of the book, so it's one you really have to dedicate some time to. I feel it's one where if you just pick it up every now and again for a read then you're going to lose track of what's going on and who everyone is. Even reading it over single a week, whilst on holiday, I had to check back a couple of times to see where I'd heard a name before, or verify who'd been involved in a certain event; however, for me, this added to the enjoyment of the book.

In a Dickens-esque style the lives of the different characters are all intertwined with their stories passing each other and meeting up in different parts of the book. Various minor characters will pop up again and again in the story of one or other or several of the main characters.

It's written well, and I always felt I had a vivid picture of the settings in the book without it feeling the need to be over descriptive. The language of the book is truly fantastic, rich and full of wonderful words, but never unnecessarily verbose.

Realistic enough to believe it could actually have happened, and imaginative enough to be highly entertaining, and a definite page-turner.

Certainly a book I'd recommend to anyone with a love of reading, and possibly even to some without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jungle Adventures and Cliffhangers, 24 July 2006
Amazon Customer (edinburgh Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
It's great. Maybe it helps to come from Scotland but his chapters devoted to the Scottish and their borders and highlands are as good as any I've ever read and show a rather nice ear for the old way of speaking.

I loved the story on lots of levels, written in the cliffhanger style adopted by Dickens, the mixture of modern vernacular within an older, more formal style of narrative works really well and from start to finish it's chock full of hilarious and tragic interwoven storylines. I read it on holiday when I pick books I think might need some application on my part but this book is effortless and a very worthwhile read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intensely fun romp, 4 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
A great romp, the London scenes done with great relish and the African adventure by turns hilarious and heart-rending, the historical flavour is brilliant and really brings to life the period. The language and characters are excellent, and more importantly it's brilliant fun too.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top five books, 8 Aug 2007
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
I read this book years ago, picking it up on a whim. Recently I revisited it and came away with an even greater appreciation of Boyle's writing capablities and insight.

The story if fantastic, and runs the gamut from brilliant to raw--and everything inbetween. I was so taken by the writing style that I simply couldn't put this wonderful book down. It was a combination of Proust meets Nick Hornby, or perhaps Tom Robbins. Hard to explain, but it's black comedy with a touch of the fantastic.

My only complaint was that Boyle should have ended the book one chapter before he did: the tacked on epilogue section wasn't needed--did some publisher insist on this? At any rate, I still enjoyed the story and the many references to history, Africa, and the way the world was long before we began to ruin it.

Boyle captures dialect and the sights and sounds of many continents and you will come away from "Water Music" with a greater appreciation of history because of this. I would also recommend the books "Pompeii" by Harris, and "A Confederacy of Dunces" for those who like great reads.

5.0 out of 5 stars A ripping read, 8 Oct 2007
Didier (Ghent, Belgium) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
What a feast this is! High adventure in exotic places (you'll excuse me for calling the Scottish Highlands exotic), with a host of incredibly funny characters, and all of it in a language so rich it'll have your ears buzzing. A times it reminded me of the Flashman-novels, at other times of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, but in the end this is a unique book in its own right. If I were allowed to take 5 books with me to a deserted island, this would be one of them. Enjoy! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Water Brilliant Book, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
This historical novel is a pure joy to read from cover to cover. TC Boyle certainly knows his history, but perhaps more importantly, he has the art of extracting a compelling and thoroughly hilarious story from these factual bones. I'm so glad I stumbled across this book as one day I may have died without reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !, 29 Jun 2013
C. Mildner - See all my reviews
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
This book ( written by an American , I think ) , is magnificent ...
Intricate , and powerful... a book to really get drawn into... you actually feel how these characters felt... in their dispair , and in their eventual fate.... I cant explain how good this really is..... it loads you up with a sort of gloomy resignation to the situation that you , the reader, feel that the characters in the book ; must feel.....
One of the only books that I have been able to read , then just start over again , streight away !
JUST BUY IT.... you wont be dissapointed ( I hope ! )

5.0 out of 5 stars A Turbulent Great Read!, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
This is the fifth book I had the pleasure of reading from this great novelist and once again I wasn't disappointed. This is T.C.Boyle at his best, irreverent, crazy, witty, funny. Don't be afraid to discover the dirty alleys of the late 18th century London or to adventure along the Niger until your breath is taken away. A book difficult to lay down once you have read the first two pages.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good historical romp, 21 Nov 1999
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
In the realms of "Faction" the mixing of real historical figures with the author's inventions can be a bit confusing and in this novel the reader is always aware that the historical facts have been altered to suite the fiction. Nontheless it's a ripping read, full of adventure without becoming too "boys own" and an excellent book for cold winter evenings.

4.0 out of 5 stars powerful, 6 Sep 2014
This review is from: Water Music (Paperback)
It is powerful, often uncomfortable.

Water Music
Water Music by T. C Boyle (Paperback - 12 Jan 1998)