5.0 out of 5 stars painful and honest
This is a fascinating book. It is about the loss of Morrison's father to cancer at the age of 75. He was diagnosed late and died within four weeks of diagnosis. The book swings between memoirs of Morrison's time with his father as a child and at other key points in his life, interspersed with narrative of the last four weeks, and the funeral afterwards.
This...
Published on 24 Jan. 2008 by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable to read, uncomfortable to review
Unlike most reviews I write in which I more or less say whether or not I like the book, this review proved extraordinarily difficult to write. It's a Life Memoir, a biography/autobiography of a man, Blake Morrison and his father Arthur. In criticising a life memoir you are essentially criticising the author themselves, I suppose.

Before I read it I felt like I...
Published on 22 Jan. 2013 by R. A. Davison

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful & evocative memoir, 9 Dec. 1999
itinerant (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And When Did You Last See Your Father? (Paperback)
This memoir deeply resonated with me. Morrison is extraorindarily adept at describing attributes of character that most fathers share. I both laughed and cried reading this remarkable book. One of the best autobiographical books I have read this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love isn't perfect, 20 Feb. 2015
A very compelling account of a son's relationship with his father. For me there were quite a few parallels with my relationship with my own father and also between my husband and our sons. Love isn't perfect and Blake Morrison explores the complexities of family life.

5.0 out of 5 stars STORY AND DEATH OF AN ORDINARY YORKSHIRE DOCTOR, 18 April 2013
In the ordinary course of life one would have certainly known nothing about the life of Arthur Morrison,and more importantly his death and the aftermarth,if a book had not been written by his son Blake Morrison.I found the book moving,sad,emotional,well written and enjoyable. It certainly made me think about my father who died 13 years ago.Many people experience the same emotions and frustrations as Blake Morrison did-frustration, cringing embarassment,love,lack of understanding and regret after their death. Blake Morrison writes well about his father dying days,which is interspersed with reminescences about his father, and admissions of hs own.
I enjoyed the book greatly,and felt that it seems marvellous that a book can be written about someone who we do not know or have even heard off,and yet at the same time we know so well,and can create such emotions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 6 Nov. 2009
V. O'Leary (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
Very good read, get your tissues ready. Heartfelt story, well written documentation of his relationship with his father , the good and bad no holds barred - but how they really loved each other regardless of how different they were!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars unfortunately too close to home..., 21 Nov. 2014
Am unlikely to be alone in the feeling that these reminiscences at a time and location similar to my own experiences with my father will prove highly evocative and in many respectsainful. Interesting perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Dec. 2014
Moving and funny. A great holiday read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 23 Sept. 2013
Bought this for my Mother, she had been wanting to read it for ages. She was delighted and it came up to her expectations

4.0 out of 5 stars And When Did You Last See Your Father?, 8 Jun. 2009
Stephanie Ryland (England) - See all my reviews
A loving memoir of a flawed but interesting man - Morrison writes well and fascinatingly about his father and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Dec. 2014
A delightful read especially as I come from Skipton. I understand the eccentricities so well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book, 18 Jun. 2013
I was recommended this bok by my sister - in - law as sh had enjoyed it and it was quite good

And When Did You Last See Your Father?
And When Did You Last See Your Father? by Blake Morrison (Paperback - 12 Jan. 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01