Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 16 April 2014
There really is no overstating how brilliant this book is. I got it as a present for Christmas and have been enjoying trying out lots of the recipes since. I’ve just made the delicious Houmous bi Tahini (hummus with tahini) for lunch and I love its strong bold flavours.

The book has plenty of interesting sections before the recipes start, 19 pages with provocative titles such as “Saving the Planet” and “The Wind Factor”. Fun! In “All You Need to Know” Chandler explains about buying pulses, whether or not to soak them, how to store them and what partners work well with them. At the end is an equally useful “Identification Parade” of pulses that untangles the confusingly complex world of lentils, beans, peas by type.

The recipes are divided into 11 sections and cover all the bases from Nibbles, Dips and Purees, through Soups, Salads, and Sides, to Vegetarian Mains and Sweet Bits. There are lovely extras such as pages devoted to making baby food, or easy lunchbox combinations. Each recipe is given a brief introduction, and is clearly laid out and easy to follow; there are also plenty of sumptuous photographs to accompany many of the dishes. An excellent addition is the How about? guide that features at the end of most recipes and suggests all sorts of other options to try, like adding different ingredients, herbs and spices to adapt the basic recipe.

I’ve loved every recipe I’ve tried so far. The Pumpkin, Coconut and Lentil Soup is wonderful, fragrant and packed with flavour. As a vegetarian, many of the vege mains have graced my plate over the last few months: the Seven-Vegetable Tagine, the Lentil and Nut Loaf, the Punjabi Chickpea Curry, the Mung Bean Casserole and the Three Bean Chilli with Bulgur. They’ve all been fantastic recipes, and I’ve been really pleased that they’ve all delivered on flavour. The Quick Supper Beans is great for food conjured up in a hurry and there are so many others that I’m looking forward to trying, especially the salads over the summer.

Pulse is everything you could wish for in a cook book; it’s packed with tasty recipes that are wonderful in their own right, or can be adapted in many different ways; it’s fun, informative and passionate about its subject, and it’s beautiful to look at and flick through. Without doubt, Jenny Chandler’s Pulse has become one of my all-time favourite cook books and I can’t ever imagine tiring of it. Quite simply, the quality and range of recipes contained within this book make it a must-have volume for every cook’s shelf.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2014
We all know about pulses and that we should eat more of them, however we don't because of their reputation for being very difficult to cook.

Jenny Chandler explains it all, in a very clear and concise manner. She literally spills the beans on exactly how to choose, prepare, and make the most out of these wonders of nature, no matter how they are available to you (fresh, dried, canned). All of her tips and tricks are shared with us and are invaluable.

The author does not just focus on cooking pulses, but also explains how to easily obtain the tastiest and healthiest shooting sprouts at home with minimal effort.

The plentiful collection of recipes is full of additional suggestions and variations to suit vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike.

This book will get you reaching for those unloved beans and pulses in your cupboard and compel you to give it a go. A true must-have for any household.
on 31 January 2014
I bought this book on the strength of one of its recipes reprinted in the Guardian newspaper (leblebi? soup, with an egg in it). It was so delicious I then bought the book. The recipes are wonderful, even to get past a carnivorous husband like mine. The tone is nice and light also - this is a woman who enjoys food and likes to see people eating it, it's not a fancy-pants pretentious book. I can't get some of the ingredients here in rural France, but I just make substitutes and things work out just fine. The little 'variations' sections at the side of each recipe are very useful also. Nice pictures, which I like to see in a recipe book - it's good to know what a dish is meant to look like! I would say that this, along with Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Kitchen, Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookbook, the Women's Institute Book of Home Cooking and Jane Grigson's Fruit Book are the most useful books in my kitchen library
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2014
I absolutely love this book, I can't wait to try a new recipe every day. I love all that I have tried so far. I am a chef by trade and usually find that I like two or three recipes in each cookbook that I have but I find every one of these recipes useful. It's great that the author also suggests one or two alternative ingredients to add to the dish to ring the changes and therefore adding a whole lot more recipes. I also like the fact that there is some meat involved in many of the recipes as I flit between vegan ,vegetarian and carnivore although I am never too enthusiastic about meat this strikes the right balance for me. This is without doubt the best cookbook I have bought for the last thirty years!!
on 30 December 2013
Fantastic recipes, with no airs and graces. I like the way that lots of the recipes have alternative ingredients enabling you to use what you have in the cupboard.
on 4 January 2015
I highly recommend the Pumpkin, Coconut and Lentil Soup, especially for the winter season! Warm, smooth and tastey. All round great recipes for vegetarian and meaty dishes alike. Next to try on the menu is the Lentil and Hazelnut Albondigas!!!
on 23 February 2015
Great recipes but Kindle version is hard to navigate as index pages don't direct you correctly and sections are quite large to wade through when looking for a particular recipe.
on 5 November 2014
Vegetarian food in 21st Century with the odds bit of meat introduced making it a useful book for users who just want to introduce mores pulses to their diet.
A useful identification guide lets users source unusual lentils and brands.
on 29 October 2013
Quite simply the best cook book I've read in ages....imaginative, unpretentious, easy to follow, beautifully laid out, very tasty recipes.....the Aubergines with Lentils and Cashews is already a family favourite.....and you must grill a pork chop and have it with the Turkish Roast Vegetables with Chickpeas....and the curried lentils with smoked haddock and the poached egg on top!.....absolutely delicious!
on 27 March 2014
I love this book. I have used it so much since I bought it, so many of the recipes are family-friendly or make good, healthy tasty mid-week meals. I am very impressed with the range of influences on the author, everywhere from the Indian sub-continent to Italy to the Middle East is represented with knowledge and skill.
For nothing else, I recommend you buy this book for the African Peanut Soup or the amazing Daal recipe, both are awesome and are regular meals in this house!