5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book
I bought this book on the strength of one of its recipes reprinted in the Guardian newspaper (leblebi? soup, with an egg in it). It was so delicious I then bought the book. The recipes are wonderful, even to get past a carnivorous husband like mine. The tone is nice and light also - this is a woman who enjoys food and likes to see people eating it, it's not a fancy-pants...
Published 6 months ago by SecondCherry

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but....
I ordered this book based on the excellent reviews on amazon. There is a good variety of recipes and the instructions are clear. However, I deducted 1 star for the lack of pictures: I like to see a picture of every recipe so I can see what the end product is supposed to look like. Some names of recipes were new to me (and no pictures) so I skipped those recipes, like...
Published 1 month ago by Eva

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty family-friendly recipes, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Pulse: Truly Modern Recipes for Beans, Chickpeas and Lentils, to Tempt Meat Eaters and Vegetarians Alike (Hardcover)
I love this book. I have used it so much since I bought it, so many of the recipes are family-friendly or make good, healthy tasty mid-week meals. I am very impressed with the range of influences on the author, everywhere from the Indian sub-continent to Italy to the Middle East is represented with knowledge and skill.
For nothing else, I recommend you buy this book for the African Peanut Soup or the amazing Daal recipe, both are awesome and are regular meals in this house!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of tasty recipes, 28 Feb 2014
Large range of recipes for both meat eaters as well as vegetarians. Enjoyed the meals that we have made. A fresh approach to using pulses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 25 Feb 2014
Scillydug (Isles of Scilly) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this book, I can't wait to try a new recipe every day. I love all that I have tried so far. I am a chef by trade and usually find that I like two or three recipes in each cookbook that I have but I find every one of these recipes useful. It's great that the author also suggests one or two alternative ingredients to add to the dish to ring the changes and therefore adding a whole lot more recipes. I also like the fact that there is some meat involved in many of the recipes as I flit between vegan ,vegetarian and carnivore although I am never too enthusiastic about meat this strikes the right balance for me. This is without doubt the best cookbook I have bought for the last thirty years!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful addition to my cookery bookshelf, 12 Feb 2014
Janet Coles (Worcester, Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
Great recipes....really interesting uses for pulses that one generally forgets to use as a basic ingredient. And a special recommendation for the chapter on wind.....great!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yumm, 9 Feb 2014
Totally changed the way we think of pulses, so tasty, can't wait to try more recipes. Try the 7 veg tagine

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this book, 30 Jan 2014
Brilliant book. Gives so much more than I thought. Use it more than once a week! My mum has bought it now too

5.0 out of 5 stars books, 23 Jan 2014
Once again a very simple to read and use, lots of good recipes not too fancy but tasty and different tastes

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy yummy recipes, 11 Oct 2013
This book is great for those of us who love to cook something exciting and different for friends and family but often don't have the time or skillset to do our ambitions justice. This has loads of easy to prepare dishes that look and taste like they have taken much more effort and skill than they have. And rather than just dinner party recipes you use once in a blue moon, it's full of things you can do for a quick mid week, one pot supper too. You certainly get your money's worth from this one

5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST A BOOK ABOUT PULSES!, 15 Oct 2013
Beautifully presented, this book is a very welcome addition to my chaotic and eccentric collection of recipe books. However the diffence with PULSE is that i am actually using it! Jenny Chandler is without question a wonderfully talented cook, but she is also a superb writer and just reading her introduction is enough to tempt you to start delving into those storage jars of lentils lurking forlornly in many of our cupboards. I love my pulses however i have rarely moved beyond a lentil salad, hummus or a lentil and ginger soup so this book has certainly opened my eyes. Its packed full of quick and easy ideas and as the author points out, pulses are incredibly good value for money as well as being healthy, tasty and oh so comforting. Sadly i have yet to convince my young boys of the joys of pulses but my 'older' friends and family are enjoying the new additions to my culinary repertoire! A really lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book!, 12 Sep 2013
I bought this book the day it came out. As a hardened carnivore, lentils, beans and such like never really interested me much (with the exception of a good and spicy chili con carne, obviously), but after trying a few recipes in Pulse I am a fully converted pulses lover. Who knew that you could make such lovely food with this amazing variety of beans, peas and lentils (and beef, chorizo, chicken, fish and pork, naturally)! Thank you, Jenny Chandler, for opening up an entirely new world of food for me!