‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful introduction to some very real faeries!, 18 Jan 2001
By A Customer
Faeries have always had a special place in my heart. I grew up with Cicely Barker's Flower Fairies, had my own faery name and even a faery "language" (of sorts), and the inevitable floaty dress with silver shoes and a sparkly wand. I've always been aware of flickers of energy in the edges of my vision in the bluebell woods, and the feeling of being watched amongst the New Forest oaks. For a while I wrote this off as an over-active imagination; but after a recent excursion deep into Faeryland, and the discovery that several of my friends have faery-like qualities, I decided that it was about time I had a "grown-up" faery book to help me understand more about the hidden world of Faery.
Brian Froud's "Good Faeries - Bad Faeries" stood out a mile on the shelf in my local bookshop. The book first fell open to show me Helpful Hob, which immediately made me laugh: just such a faery had been a little over-enthusiastic with my husband's bread-making the previous night, and the beautiful illustration seemed to capture the essence of this flour-throwing, milk-spilling creature. When I eventually got home I spent the rest of the evening gazing at the beautiful pictures - some funny, some grotesque, some peaceful, but all with an incredible vibrancy to them, as if they really have caught a little piece of a faery on paper. Even the rough sketches that skip and tumble around the text are gleaming with magical light.
I had half-expected the text at the beginning of the book (both of the beginnings; there are two, but no end) to be either heavy on folklore or sickly sweet, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is intelligently written, highly personal, and with a quirky humour that can only come from the faery influence itself. Froud's discussion of folklore is brief but informative, and the philosophical sections left me nodding my head with a faint smile rather than totally bewildered, as is so often the case. I was particularly impressed by the author's knack for explaining the paradoxes of Faery without really explaining them at all, and was left with a strong sense of how it all worked, although I couldn't describe a word of it if I was asked!
What struck me about the book more than anything else was that these faeries are very, very real. Computer Glitch, for example, wreaked havoc whilst I was writing my Master's thesis - juggling text on the page when I wasn't looking, reconfiguring huge chunks of data, and making the screen flicker pink just because he thought it was funny. A friend of mine has a small faery which follows him around and places objects just where he is about to tread - cups of tea, ash trays and Chinese take-outs regularly go flying across the room thanks to this mischievous creature. Many of the faeries are instantly recognisable; and I found the book so inspiring that I have since discovered many more (like the Duvet Thief, who lives under our bed and yanks the duvet onto the floor in the middle of the night. I presume this is because he is cold, because the chillier the weather, the more the duvet disappears. I am planning on making him a blanket of his own so that he no longer needs steal ours).
Overall, I have found Froud's book a joy to look at and a delight to read. The text and the pictures are each beautiful enough to be worth having on their own; together they are amusing, inspiring, and thought-provoking all at once. I would recommend the book to anyone who has even a flicker of belief in the Faery realm. After reading it you will probably find that the flicker has grown, your tea has gone cold, and that someone has spirited away that biscuit you forgot to eat because you were so absorbed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Capturing Hearts, the Faery way!, 16 Feb 2003
By A Customer
I walked into a bookshop, looking for a birthday present for my Angel loving friend, I came out with Good Faeries/Bad Faeries. I've always had an inkling of belief in Faeires, joking about with my boyfriend of how they 'bite' him, 'sneeze' on him and other little tricks.
After glancing through Froud's work I was captured, I found myself organising the Faeries into my own categories, looking deeply into the pictures, I thought it would probably be a good idea to read it, and to my amazement Froud's interpretations of the Faeries which have come into his life were very similar to my own. This drew me into the Faery charm and my belief and love for Faeries has become stronger.
After reading this brilliant never ending album of Faeries, I added many more of Froud's titles to my bookshelves and have loved looking through and reading every single one!
If you have just that tiny bit of belief or if you are just wondering about Faeries and what is said about them, this book is certainly worth a chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book for Faerie Spotting!, 13 Dec 2002
This book is definatly one of the greatest faerie books I personally have ever seen! It is rare to find such amazing talent for both drawing and writing the delightful descriptions for each faerie.
Brian Froud's Good Faeries/Bad Faeries is a beautifully presented book for all ages, lovely for childern to look at, and for adults to enjoy!
A definate triumph!

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest fairy book out., 26 Dec 2000
By A Customer
I read this book at a friends and it was great. it has both good and bad faires and their storys. i think this book really helps one get in touch with the faire world and all the aspects of good/bad because people tend to think all faires are just cute and winged ones. Frouds book lets us see both sides of the faire relm. it is wonderful and the pictures are just the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faerie heaven, 26 Oct 2004
This book is so lovely all pictures are full and beautiful colour (Except some of the sketches and background pics) If you are a fairy fan or just like something different then i serriously recommend this book. It has loads of info on some faries you know some you don't and some you may live with but have never recognised, this book has them all.
Lots of fun and is great to read again and again
Big thumbs up to Brian Froud!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 14 May 2011
This review is from: Good Faeries Bad Faeries (Hardcover)
I just recently got Faeries as well, and it seems that all the little "flaws" I noticed in that one were definitely fixed in this one! Good Faeries/Bad Faeries is a breathtaking guide to the faerie world, not just by old stories but through personal experience. I was also happily surprised to see how Froud had included non-British fairies as well. As a Finnish reader I was excited to see our little para creature pictured in the book! And I agree with Mr. Froud, that's most certainly how para looks like! It was also great to see pictures of the Faerie Oracle in larger size. There were so many tiny details that I hadn't even noticed in the oracle. Also, I got much better insight on the faeries of the oracle deck. It almost feels like we have the Holy Trinity of the Faerie here: Faeries, Good/Bad faeries and the Oracle. If these don't open the doors to the magic realms then nothing will!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to have for fantasy art lovers, 21 Oct 2010
This review is from: Good Faeries Bad Faeries (Hardcover)
compare to "Fairies", the other book of Brian Froud, this is not as stunning, but still full of inspiration. The cover has a very nice linen texture, no dust jacket, but it doesn't matter at all to me. It's divided into 2 parts. 1st is good fairies, and the other half for bad ones, and you have to flip the book vertically. It's a pretty smart design and I find it's good. If you haven't got "Fairies", and consider buy only one, the other one is much better. If you like Brian Froud art and want to collect, this book is a must have in your collection. Imagine looking at these paintings in a cold rainy day, have a cup of tea on your cozy armchair, isn't it wonderful!! I have small problem with amazon delivery service for this book, but except from that, their packaging is still good as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly beautiful book!, 22 Sep 2005
This is a fantastic book! The illustrations are amazing and so beautiful. I would rate this as the best fairy book I have seen and would recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous., 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Good Faeries Bad Faeries (Hardcover)
The drawings are superb and the dialogue very interesting. I have a project to draw some faeries and will find inspiration from this.

4.0 out of 5 stars The good and bad ones, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Good Faeries Bad Faeries (Hardcover)
Beautifully illustrated. Brought some very fond memories back of childhood and family now lost.
It's very sad the kids these days have no innocence or imagination and I think they are missing out .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Good Faeries Bad Faeries
Good Faeries Bad Faeries by Brian Froud (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2010)
9.09