4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners
Published on 23 Mar. 2010 by Ms. S. Crofts

3.0 out of 5 stars lovely, but not quite as simple as they appear
I bought this book for inspiration for cooking with my daughter, as she (oddly) doesn't seem to like cakes.
The book is lovely - beautifully laid out - and what we've tried so far have been v tasty - especially the coleman cookies.
However - the recipes aren't quite as simple as the instrustions suggest. The biscuit doughs - the bourbons for example - need quite...
Published on 7 Jun. 2010 by A. Peel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 23 Mar. 2010
Ms. S. Crofts "sorelie" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cookie Magic: Biscuits and Cookies with Big Attitude (Magic Baking Series) (Hardcover)
This is a well presented book with beautiful photos and a good range of recipes. Pretty much all the recipes are very simple so this is a good book for new bakers. It would also be good for children. Of course, with cooking books, you can never know for sure if its the one for you until you actually use it ( I loaned this from the library before i bourght it) but this book is a good allrounder.
However, be prepared to read the introduction. It looks long and is a bit patronising, but it explains some of the quirks. For example, the author never says how many cookies each recipe makes, saying only it makes 'one batch'. This is explained why in the intro, but it is slightly annoying none the less.
Some of the recipes i can recommend are the shortbread (very easy and tasty), the chocolate orange cookies, and the rosemary crackers.
One to watch out for is the borbon biscuit recipe, in it she uses golden syrup to bind the dough and as a result the biscuit comes out very hard. Also the filling quantity is far too much. But that is my personnal opinion.
Overall, a pretty, colourful and useful book for the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book IS magic!, 7 Feb. 2009
Bookworm (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I completely fell in love with this book and had to have it. "Cookie Magic" contains page after page of traditional and delicious British classics as well as sophisticated chocolate creations. I bake a lot of cookies and know that this book is going to be well used and covered in dough before long. I thoroughly recommend any cookie baker to buy it. I also liked the companion book "Cupcake Magic" which has had similar treatment in my house.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant find, 5 Aug. 2009
I found out about this book after reading about it on a blog and I am so glad I did. Since receiving this book a few weeks ago I have already baked tons from it and everything has turned out fab. The everyday and children's sections are fab I love that there are homemade versions of all the shop bought favourites, even party rings which I can't wait to try. Please don't be fooled by the small size of the book it is still over a hundred pages long and each recipe is a pure delight. The only downside of the book is that the author doesn't state how many biscuit each recipe produces, she just says 'makes one batch', I personally like to know how many biscuit I will actually get and I also sometimes like to halve a recipe if I don't want to end up with too many biscuits but I can't do that with this book until I have made the recipes at least once so I know how many biscuits I am making in the first place. I still give the book 5 stars though as it is excellent and was worth every penny I paid for it. I will definately be using it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cookie book, 28 Feb. 2009
Some lovely photos and super recipes. Book is good handleable size and very clearly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous little book with lovely recipies, 2 Jun. 2010
I have tried several of the recipies and i'm working my through the book, much to my family's delight. There are recipies for everyday biscuits and for special treats too (just don't think about the calories). There's a great section for kids stuff. A terrific little book to have on your cookshelf. Also makes a lovely gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally - a range of biscuit recipes!, 9 Feb. 2010
I generally find that whilst you can find a range of cake recipes, biscuit ones are samey. This book does involve a large number of recipes using the basic shortbread or basic butter biscuit recipe, but you can forgive that with the beautiful photographs and recipes for things such as Bourbons and Fig Rolls. The author doesn't like giving rough numbers of biscuits, so everything makes 'one batch', but I'm just writing in how many I make each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars cookie magic, its in the title, 20 Dec. 2009
i was bought this book as a birthday present, and have since had to buy two more for other friends and family, the cookies and biscuits in here are just fantastic, and im happier to give these to my children than shop bought, not only do they taste better, but i know whats in them.
The recipes are easy to follow and the little write ups on each one are funny to read.
great book, want to get the others in the series now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy, 22 Aug. 2009
L. Martin (Falkland Islands) - See all my reviews
A relative beginner to baking I bought this out of curiosity; I'm so glad I did as all my family and friends can't wait to try out the latest recipe. All are easy to follow and so far everything I have tried has turned out lovely. These are so good I've had to order another book for my mum as she loves the cookies too.
Thank you for putting so many easy tasty treats into one book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll be an expert, 20 Feb. 2012
I got this for Christmas - I really wanted to bake bikkies for my kids and NOT buy the ones in the supermarket, with their strange ingredients (palm oil, fructose -- what IS this stuff?!). It is amazing, I've gone from zero to all the bikkies you could ever imagine. Everyone is so impressed - me included!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookie Magic it's true!, 19 April 2009
A brilliant little book! Jam packed with great recipes for cookies,the pictures are lovely too. I would have bought this book for the children's chapter alone, which has home-made versions of a number of popular bought biscuits. The jammy splodgers were awesome! Next on my long list of to-makes is cookies with Terry's Chocolate orange as the chocolate chunks - how good does that sound?!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Cookie Magic: Biscuits and Cookies with Big Attitude (Magic Baking Series)