on 11 February 2009
This is a real gem of a book and TV series. It never fails to enlighten and astound me about the wonderful things we no longer have or do. What hard workers we were! And for all the right reasons not for material toys and vitamin suppliments. If only every child could watch and read this then they would surely find a work ethic worth living for. I'm so enthused by the whole ethos of this amazing journey through some of our history that I am sure, when I embark on my small holding experience, I shall have it at the ready for reference. A definate buy for anyone to have and to treasure for many years.
33 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2009
This book, like the TV series, is intelligent and informative. The enthusiasm of the three authors/presenters is infectious and they get a lot of information across in a very entertaining way. I think this probably counts as experimental archaeology and I was left marvelling at the incredible inventiveness and resourcefulness of the Victorians
on 28 February 2009
If you enjoyed the series you will love the book! It contains further information about their experience on the Farm. It also gives details of some of the projects that they undertook. A well laid out piece of work which would make a great gift for someone interested in this social and historical time. If you have not seen the series this is still a great book that gives you a good taste of that era.Victorian Farm
on 10 March 2009
This was a present for my wife. The parcel arrived on time and was extremely well packed.Like the television series, the book was facinating from begining to end and included extra information perhaps not available on TV, EG Reipes etc. To people of our age(mid to late seventies)there were several aspects of the book and the series on TV, which had hung on until then.Noteably the use of Shire horses, but other items of farm machinery and farm practices as well. Excellent.
on 27 March 2009
Having thoroughly enjoyed the TV series "Victorian Farm", I was keen to read this book, and was not disappointed. The chapters don't follow the calendar year the way the TV programmes did, but are broken down into various themes such as "Arts and Crafts", "Health and Hygiene", animal husbandry, gamekeeping - everything one could wish to know about life on a farm in the 1880's. It is in an easy to read style, with plenty of photographs. I did notice a lot of typographical errors which I found irritating; perhaps it was rushed into print without due care being taken over proof-reading! I think people who didn't see the programmes would still enjoy it, but it is probably best read as a follow-up to the series.
on 1 May 2009
THE BOOK OF THE FARM: DETAILING THE LABOURS OF THE FARMER, STEWARD, PLOWMAN, HEDGER, CATTLE-MAN, SHEPHERD, FIELD-WORKER, AND DAIRYMAID. Three Volume Set.

I enjoyed this companion volume to the BBC television series. I would also recommend The Book of the Farm by Henry Stephens, the 3 volume set on which the series was based.
on 5 July 2009
Victorian Farm
Historically very good, photo shoots excellent.
A superb piece of history with the photo reinactment and writing of the Agricultral Revolution with reference to the Industrial Revolution.
Based on the BBC television series which made BBC great.
on 4 March 2009
This is a great book for those researching family history, social history or the work of farm & agricultural labourers. It gives great pictures & detailed examples of their families daily life.
on 28 February 2009
This is a fantastic book that accompanies the recent series on BBC television it has the same team of people who not long ago lived out a year of life on a farm in the early 17th Century. It makes me feel in touch with my rural ancestry on one side of my family and some of the methods of farming are in my memories from having seen and listened to older family members who worked the land. I particularly love the wheel of the year and the cycle of the farming year, seeing the old Celtic festivals still celebrated by Victorian rural people such as Lamas and Beltaine( May day). however of all the jobs I would have hated the most it would have to be making one`s own clothing, I cannot sew for toffee so I would prefer mucking out the pigs to sewing. Beautifully presented book with photographs and recipes and ideas that I will try out.
on 27 March 2009
We have bought the DVD of the series and the book. Both are an excellent buy and well worth the money. They are very informative and really get to grips with what victorian farming was all about. It makes the reader/viewer have a really good understanding of the struggles and triumphs a victorian farmer and his family went through. Can highly recommend both the book and the DVD