5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book
Although I have a book-shelf heaving with cake & baking books, I just couldn't resist this one.
Kate's style is informative, friendly and fun and the books' design and lay-out make it a pleasure to use. The ingredients are clearly listed, along with many handy hints & tips, and the instructions are easy to follow.
The chapters are helpfully ordered in order of...
Published on 5 Jun 2008 by Mrsravi

1.0 out of 5 stars cup cakes
i think ive wasted my money! these are cakes based on the same basic recipe, more or less the same. designs are not inspiring either.pity cos the book cover really tempted me to buy.
Published on 9 Feb 2009 by derwent

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 5 Jun 2008
This review is from: Cupcake Magic (Hardcover)
The chapters are helpfully ordered in order of 'faffdom', which makes deciding which cakes to make all the easier.
I made some of her low-faff cakes and iced them following her recipes and they were a great success.I intend to bake many more!
An excellent little book, I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab little book!, 20 Jun 2008
Cupcake Crackpot (East Mids, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cupcake Magic (Hardcover)
Being new to the cupcake scene I decided to buy a little book for inspiration. Cupcake Magic has provided just that! Not only does it have recipes for icing and cake mixtures but also decorating ideas-with instruction and pictures too. If you are a bit of a novice to cake making (like me) this is the perfect book but I'm also guessing that if you're an experienced cupcake Connoisseur, this will provide some great ideas and a whole lot of inspiration. Another couple of bonuses are the light hearted way it is written and the onus on freerange!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy..., 16 April 2008
This review is from: Cupcake Magic (Hardcover)
Bought this book after reading an article on the author in a country magazine. Love the enthusiasm and fun in which she writes.
This neat, little book, is colourfully illustrated, with handy tips on getting started. It is full of inspiring cupcake and icing ideas, from the simple to something a little more fanciful. Fun to read, with a variety of yummy cake recipes to inspire and delight all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cupcake Magic!, 12 Jun 2010
INTRO ::
Now, I must say in the past I have tried hundreds of cupcake recipes with varying degrees of success. I decided I needed a decent book to take me right back to basics. This is it!!

INITIAL REACTION ::
I didn't get my book through Amazon so I can't comment on the packaging or speed of delivery. However, when I did get my book I was pleasantly surprised. The cover is a hardback and it feels good quality. The images are bright and vivid on the front. So far so good!

Firstly, I must applaud Kate Shirazi's style of writing. It's flowing, and it explains exactly what point she wants to get across, even with a few giggles along the way! I love the way she covers all aspects of cupcake making in the first chapter, from actually owning hens for eggs to the confusing world of cupcake cases! I found it very pleasurable to read and learned a lot.

It starts with a few basic recipes for the cupcake and for icing. Now, having read some of the reviews they were disappointed as to how the more complex recipes were simply variations. What else do you want to make cupcakes out of, other than flour, eggs, sugar and butter?! I personally think that the initial recipe/s are wonderful, and if it ain't broke- don't fix it! Every single time I've used the recipes it's been superbly easy to ascertain when the cupcakes are done, simply because it's a lovely light mixture. A quick prod on the top and they're firm and spongey.

When I've used large cupcake cases they "explode" beautifully. I get a very large, domed top that is great to decorate straight onto. Ahh, decorations- the best part of cupcake making? Now, I understand that Kate Shirazi's style might not be the most appealing to a lot of people, it is rather unusual, and she admits that too. I personally think you should take the recipes and decoration techniques as inspiration and base your own ideas around them. Thought of a more tasteful colour? Have at it! I think baking and decorating cakes, and indeed, cupcakes is somewhat of an art form, so if you're not artistically inclined or at least don't have even a smidgen of imagination- get another book that does it all for you.

VERDICT ::
Great, easy recipes. Taste amazing. Decorating ideas and recipes work very very well.

If you buy this book, you certainly won't regret it, you might develop an unhealthy taste for fresh cupcakes though, but my husband certainly isn't complaining!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cupcake Heaven, 5 Oct 2008
J. M. Mclachlan "Josie Pink" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cupcake Magic (Hardcover)
I have purchased Kates cakes so I just had to buy her book and have a go. They are fantastic - her receipes and ideas are brilliant and you won't be disappointed. The pictures are stunning and even if you don't get round to baking the cakes, it is a lovely book to look at and have out in your kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splodges of mixture on the pages, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Cupcake Magic (Hardcover)
How can I praise this little book enough? I saw it in a bookshop, looked for it on Amazon but no luck so trekked back to the bookshop to buy a copy and was very pleased I did. Part of the purchase price even goes to a charity rescuing retired battery hens but that aside, the book works on a couple of levels; the author's infectious enthusiasm for all things cake-related makes for an amusing read and it's a great source for cupcake recipes and decorating ideas. Another reviewer criticised this book for only containing a few recipes but I think there is a great selection here. There are low-, mid- and high-faff sections and while it's true that the chapters dealing with more complicated decoration use simpler cakes as a basis, the low-faff section has a good variety of recipes. I find that some cook books look lovely but never get used to make anything. Not so with this one, as the pages of my copy already fall open at favourites and the odd splodge of cake mix has found its way on to a few pages here and there. Some friends asked me to make a cupcake mountain for their wedding and all the cakes they chose are from this book. I baked a few samples for them and took the rest into work for colleagues to try - all comments were amazingly positive. The carrot cake is so moist and delish even after freezing, the coffee and walnut was a retro treat and the spiced fruit cake (a "christmas" recipe spiked with brandy) was totally awesome. I'm a keen baker but talentless cake decorator who had fought shy of icings & frostings up till now but this book encouraged me to experiment with poured fondant, buttercream and even a bit of piping with unexpectedly good results. The only criticism I would make is that some of the more complex decorated cakes are not photographed so it's difficult to know what they should look like. If you are a sugarpaste expert or a total novice then this is possibly not the book for you. If you would like to support a good cause, bake fab cakes and make them look pretty without needing an art degree or masses of complicated equipment, I would heartily recommend this book. In fact, I'm just off to place an order for the author's new cookie recipe book as I'm sure it will be just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Scrumptious, 4 May 2009
This review is from: Cupcake Magic (Hardcover)
Superb book - inspiring! Straightforward and oh so tasty. Intend to make cupcakes now for every occasion possible! Beautiful photography and the plus is that yours can look as good as Kate's so everyone will think you are a domestic goddess. Intend to buy her other book - cookie magic - too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book, 3 Dec 2008
Craftlover (Dorset England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cupcake Magic (Hardcover)
This is a great book - I have bought it as a Christmas present to go with some silicone cup cake cases and a measure from John Lewis. It is a good price and a nice small size. There are lots of recipes and pictures in it and even some savoury cupcakes, e.g. breakfast cupcakes with smoked salmon topping! Not to everyone's taste but lots of good ideas, even low fat versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful photography, 22 Nov 2008
A. JARVIS (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cupcake Magic (Hardcover)
This book is simply beautiful. The photos are wonderful. The recipes are simple and an inspiration. I love this book because it shows that something as simple as a cupcake can lots of fun for children and those who simply refuse to grow-up. I think this book would make a great present.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Cupcake Magic (Hardcover)
I was looking for a present for Secret Santa and was swayed by the other reviews. I have only flicked through it as it's a present but am tempted to buy a copy for myself!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cupcake Magic
Cupcake Magic by Kate Shirazi (Hardcover - 1 Mar 2008)
6.89