5.0 out of 5 stars Why does everything Cephallonian belong to Captain Corelli?, 15 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Captain Corelli's Island: Cephallonia (Hardcover)
Does mention of a topical, fictional character sell books? Unfortunately the answer is probably yes.
A beautifully produced book such as this should not have to rely on such an association but without it who would finger a history of this little known, beautiful but well fought-over Ionian island.
Having visited the island in May 2000 with my father to lay a wreath over the wreck of H.M. Submarine Perseus; Corelli mania just setting in; I was stunned by the quality and subject matter (for me) of many of the photographs. The inlets, coves and harbours are captured perfectly and the sea really is that blue, and many other shades besides.
If you are into complex matters of ancient history then you probably won't get lost but I certainly found myself re-reading various early passages. Have you ever played 'Chronology'? This small island and its near neighbours have changed hands more often than most second hand cars.
This pictorial gem will not be leaving my bedside table for a long while yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Corelli's Dream ..., 8 April 2011
Marina Muller "Nelli" (Kefalonia, Griechenland) - See all my reviews
... it was surely not, not in his time and history (so you have to read the book "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" now).
But a dream it is in itself, this island. I should know, I live on and with it. So the book shows very much what life here is all about, and it goes rather into detail than grandeur.
For someone planning an trip onto the island of Kephallonia it is a mouthwatering exercise, for the tourist who was here already it is a reminder what was missed to be experienced, and for someone like me ... now, I think I will know now what to give as a good-bye-gift to all my friends visiting me here ...

5.0 out of 5 stars It took me there, 8 Aug 2010
Mr. J. Dennis (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captain Corelli's Island: Cephallonia (Hardcover)
Whenever I go somewhere new on holiday I am keen to get a sense of the place before I go. This book has provided me with such a sense. It may be not quite right (and might be over influenced by the good captain?) but I am glad that I got this before going. I can scarely wait to see the sights portrayed and to guage whether I think the book has given a fair impression.

Captain Corelli's Island: Cephallonia
Captain Corelli's Island: Cephallonia by Terry Harris (Hardcover - 9 Sep 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01