5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the greatest self help book there is
Published on 12 Mar 2010 by M. Morris

I found all the stories extremely interesting in this book,and would recommend those with an interest in history to read them, even some of the interpetations are quite enjoyable.
However I found that the "life" applications from these stories are best skipped over. I viewed it as a collection of notable encounters in history rather than ways to improve a career.
Published on 9 July 2009 by Maxong091

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the greatest self help book there is, 12 Mar 2010
M. Morris - See all my reviews
I have personally read more than 150 books on self help and this one takes the cake - bar none. On the surface this book might come across as a general book on history and strategy or to some as a kind of book on manipulation, but that is just the facade. This book contains all the founding principles to help people get ahead in life, especially through personal interaction. I actually had owned this book for quite a while and was getting frustrated with having read so many self help books but still not feeling like I had retained much that was applicable to everyday situations or that I could draw from memory even though I took notes on every book I read. So one day I picked up this book again after only browsing through it before and read a couple of chapters and realized, hey, this is actually more specific to life than I had realized before, so I decided I would read it from start to finish. After a dedicated week I finished the book and decided I would read it another 2 times in the next 2 weeks so I would pick up on everything. For the first time in my life I feel like I can look at any situation and from the recall of all the principled knowledge I have read, I can instantly know what approach to take in any situation in almost samurai like fashion. It's crazy, but now when I see aggressively bold teenagers on a bus or a tense customer or an overbearing family member, it's like I see all the steps necessary to deal with the situation. For the normally analytical person this book is your lifeblood. I have to admit that it can be weary getting through the book as stories on history aren't always a sexy read, but it's tantamount to learning the piano religiously and later realizing that you can play the piano like a knife through warm butter. Robert Greene has to be the most underrated guru in the self help industry and is possibly greater than all others, albeit in a kind of covert fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Erudite discussion of classic war strategies...and life management advice, 11 May 2007
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The 33 Strategies Of War (Paperback)
Military and business strategists agree that if you cannot contend against others, you will quickly get left behind. The problem is, most people think and act tactically - not strategically. Robert Greene's intelligent book can help you change your approach. It takes a fascinating, in-depth look at some of the world's most famous master military strategists: Napoleon Bonaparte, Sun-tzu, Alexander the Great, Carl von Clausewitz, Erwin Rommel, Hannibal and many more. Greene organizes the sagacious thinking of these masterminds into 33 strategies, drawn from mostly from warfare but also from business, politics, entertainment and nature. He provides concrete ideas on how to put these cerebral concepts to practical use. The information is packed in tight. Fascinating accent pieces run in the outer margins, but alas, in small, red italics. We highly recommend this remarkable book that explains how to meet your challenges with the best battle-tested strategies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Mar 2007
M. Williams "Matt Williams" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I thought 48 Laws of Power was a brilliant book but didn't manage to plough my way through the Art of Seduction. However, just reading the title I knew I had to buy The 33 Strategies of War.

And it is brilliant, I'm just 20 pages away from the end of the book now.

One thing I have found is that the book makes you think very deeply, remembering events in the past and how you might have applied these strategies to make things happen differently, so I find it's better to read when you are fully awake in the morning rather than last thing at night. I have found that if I try and read too much at once then I don't get so much value out of it because each chapter is worth thinking about in detail.

It does make you rather Machiavellian in your everyday thinking and you do need to think about your own sense of morality and make sure the book doesn't corrupt you.

For this reason I suspect that just like 48 Laws of Power I will also be periodically re-reading this book for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Everyday Guide to Life., 12 April 2011
Thomas Black (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 33 Strategies Of War (Paperback)
Life is a struggle. It is one fought against other people, whether it be against a rival politician in an election, relatives in a family feud, or against bosses and bullies at work. Anything that can help out in these situations is always a help for those who could be considered underdogs, and this book is a very good attempt at this.
Whilst the book's title would seem to be aimed a wannabe generals and military commanders (wherther in real life or in a virtual game-playing one), the various strategies can be applied to any walk of life. It talks you through the strategies and how they were applied in real life. With a little re-wording on your own part, you can then apply them to your own problems.
Machiavellian in its approach, this book and its strategies will not be for everyone - I myself found some proposed strategies quite excessive if not heartless and just as likely to cause more problems than they solve. But sometimes you can only fight fire with fire, and let's face it, everyone who has faced a bullying boss at work (I certainly have) will want to give them a taste of their own medicine - and some ideas in these pages will help you do so whilst keeping your slate clean.
This book - and the other two written by Robert Greene, also sold here on Amazon - are useful guides on one-upmanship, but I would caution people to not take these lessons too much to heart, for as I have already said, making yourself the office Machiavelli will make you numerous enemies, and that leads to more problems in the long run. Otherwise, an entertaining read and a useful guide to life and its bullies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoloutely Brilliant!, 21 Mar 2006
A. Rahman (England) - See all my reviews
This is a book for all those deep thinkers out there.
I bought this book and the most I digested is a chapter a day, the way I see it is "its one thing understanding something, quite another knowing and applying it".
It shows us how the 33 startegies can be applied in our daily life when faced with those little everyday wars.
If you understand Sun Tzu's Art of war thoroughly you may not have much to learn from this book, but still interesting and does show how many in history applied these war principles to gain an upperhand from Samurai Grandmasters to Political leaders such as Margaret Thatcher.
Overall an interesting read and a great self help book. There'll be a chapter in there for everyone mine personally was chapter 4 bit long to explain right now but I'm sure some of these tactics outlined will bring most of you a smirk if not a smile at some point in the book. : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Greene might be the man you least want as a friend, but he's one hell of a writer!, 3 Feb 2008
JD Astill (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 33 Strategies Of War (Paperback)
I own all the Greene/Joost Elffers books and I must say that until reading this book his book on Power was one of the few books I reread regularly, owning both the full and the concise version. War, however, in my opinion surpasses Power in terms of its relevance to how we live our lives. We come into conflict with others every day, and the techniques used in the book, taken from the true masters of strategy such as Sun Tzu and Napoleon, will help you not only face these conflicts but do so in such a way that others will think twice about crossing you ever again.

I don't know whether Greene wrote these books as a bit of fun or whether he follows the principles, but you have got to wonder how these journals will be seen in the future. Anyone who saw the first series of The Contender will know that one of the boxers used "Power" to manipulate the other boxers into fighting each other...and the only mistake he made was to be seen reading the bloomin' book! In other words, the principles work in real life! Get War and Power, and consider Seduction too...and you will be armed and deadly, and the confidence that brings will actually ensure a QUIETER life through increased reputation.

My only moan is that there is no concise edition to War...so I can have it with me at all times! Saddo!

4.0 out of 5 stars long winded but awesome in places, 4 Oct 2011
Amazon Customer (SHEFFIELD, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 33 Strategies Of War (Paperback)
This book suffers from trying to cram in too much information, with two commentaries seemingly running side by side, and it seems there are two authors masquerading as one (Robert Greene). However having said that, I enjoyed this volume and read it cover to cover and will probably do so again at some point. It complements well the other books by Robert Greene (Power in particular, and also the 50 cent one). As usual the statements are backed up by hundreds of historical references - anything from biblical to 20th century battles and terrorists are cited as examples - and one is left with a perhaps cynical but nevertheless probably more accurate view of people's motives and tactics in everyday life than one had before reading the book. Revealing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting stories, not too interested in the applications, 9 July 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, dont read all at once!, 19 July 2008
This review is from: The 33 Strategies Of War (Paperback)
For anyone who has read Greene's other books, such as the 48 Laws of Power this book is great addition.

The combination of short historical stories and biographies, sprinkled with anecdotes from some of the most significant events of past and more recent times makes a satisfying read, but Greene goes further and filters out timeless lessons which can be applied in many modern day lives and situations.

Although titled Strategies of War, each of the articles can be applied to many situations, for example "7. Transform your War into a Crusade: Morale Strategies" and "Negotiate while Advancing: The Diplomatic-War Strategy" are such that they can be as useful to a WWII General, or a CEO of Coca Cola, as they may be to somebody focusing on his next job interview.

The application is endless, which is what makes books like this timeless, every time you read a chapter you may be seeking a different solution to a different problem. The only thing to be wary of is not reading it from start to finish or swallowing too much of the "cunning strategies" all at once, it may turn you into a Machiavelli overnight - which in todays society is not something you want to outwardly display (as you will appreciate if you have read 48 Laws of Power).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great style and educating, 25 July 2013
Loved the writing style and the examples in the book. Lots of items to think about and incorporate in my life. Summarized a lot of my individual principles and provided opportunities for discussion with colleagues.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The 33 Strategies Of War
The 33 Strategies Of War by Robert Greene (Paperback - 7 Jun 2007)