5.0 out of 5 stars A great story, and much more
Born to Run succeeds at three levels. First, it is a page turner. The build up to a fifty-mile foot race over some of the world's least hospitable terrain drives the narrative forward. Along the way McDougall introduces a cast of characters worthy of Dickens, including an almost superhuman ultramarathoner, Jenn and the Bonehead--a couple who down bottles of booze to warm...
Published on 16 May 2009 by T. Sull

1.0 out of 5 stars Fictionalised and often disingenuous account
I realise I'm in minority here but I really didn't enjoy this book at all. As a result of all the rave reviews I bought a copy for both myself and a friend - we were both hugely disappointed.

The author, Christopher McDougall, is an American magazine correspondent and this perhaps goes someway to explain a lot of what I didn't like about the book. To begin...
Published on 31 Jan 2011 by Gerund

‹ Previous | 139 40 4144 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read it!, 17 Sep 2009
This book is a fine read - enjoyable, inspiring, informative and moving in equal measure - that I would readily recommend to pretty much anyone, irrespective of their level of interest in running. It took me a chapter or two to get over the slightly breathless American journalistic style, but then I was hooked by a great story populated with exceptional and engaging characters. Not in any way a "running manual", it worked well for me as a counter-culture follow-up to ChiRunning (an approach mentioned in passing in this book, along with POSE). Having already tried and enjoyed barefoot style running, it's reminded me to do more of the same, and to do away with the expensive and arguably counter-productive running shoes that everyone has been brainwashed into believing are essential. But it remains to be seen whether I'll be running any further than 10k or so...!

5.0 out of 5 stars A THRILLING EXPERIENCE, 27 Aug 2009
Sothis (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What Tom Wolfe did for test flying in his book 'The Right Stuff', Christopher McDougall did for the world of endurance running. This book takes you right into the thrill and adventure of ultra-marathons and endurance running.It also has very thought provoking chapters about running shoes, running forms, the evolution of man and much more. It was such a good read that I could not put it down and galloped through it from beginning to end. I then read it a second time and enjoyed it at leisure. Most definitely the best book I've read this year (and I do read a lot). Give yourself an unforettable experience and treat yourself to this book. You'll love it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Tale of Running, 9 July 2009
Few books really grip as this one did. As an aspiring runner (to improve my triathlon times!), I am interested in books about running that are not what might be described as orthodox. From the outset I was drawn into a world I had previously only seen mentioned in passing - that of the ultra-distance racer.

This book is written in an interesting and easy to read style and does an excellent job of mixing the story telling with some information about running (that references published articles and research, as well as hearsay and opinion), injuries and the running industry.

I could not wait to get back to it every time I had to put it down and would highly recommend it. This story inspired me to take my first foray into barefoot running (well with Vibram FiveFingers on).

5.0 out of 5 stars The most interesting book ever!, 2 July 2009
S. Woodhead (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book really is a must read if you have any interest in running. It's not just incredibly interesting but also inspiring. I end up going for a run everytime I put it down!

1.0 out of 5 stars unreadable, 27 Feb 2011
Dr. H. J. Ziman "Dr Harry Ziman" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Paperback)
I found this book unreadable and had to give up on it; most unusual. The complete point of the book escapes me as it meanders from one thing to another without coherence. I have to agree with "a keen runner" that the book was boring and above all the choice of vocabluary extraordinarily irksome. It is written in a relaxed laconic style that perhaps does not cross the Atlantic well. If it is an attempt to be vivid then it fails. I don't have the expertise of "Gerund" but this review seems to be spot on.

My advice, don't waste your time on this. I have no idea at all why it get so many rave reviews as it merits none!

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressingly awful writing, 18 Feb 2012
S. P. Rahtz (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
Ok, the book is quite a page turner. But the journalistic present-tense style of writing is very painful to read, and the cast of crackpot American sports bores is decidedly off-putting. Whether the science has any merit is hard to tell. Possibly. I will carry on running, but not thanks to mr mcdougall's airport novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars A potentially good story ruined by lazy, cliche-ridden writing, 13 May 2012
M. R. Hicks (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This book has promising accolades, but the writing style is lazy and cliche ridden, so much so that the general thesis (humans are born to run) is buried under a mountain of corn. It's a shame because the point of view is interesting, but its not worth the effort to read this book to extract the occasional nugget - I suggest you wait til someone writes the story coherently, and introduces the evidence without simultaneously cheapening it through tabloidese.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, awful writing style, 2 May 2012
I was really looking forward to reading this, being a keen runner and big fan of Murakami's book. I'm now regretting getting started. The style is awful, tabloid, sensationalist slang. The facts are poorly researched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of course, this book has one massive flaw ..., 9 July 2009
It's too short. Thank you for such an inspriring and extraordinary book. Write more. Write fast. Write now.

1.0 out of 5 stars this book did not ring true at all, 19 Mar 2011
P. Stevenson - See all my reviews
I am sure a lot of this was true but it seemed to me that the author had embellished his story a lot. This would be OK if it was sold as fiction, but it put me right off and I gave up after 3 chapters. Life's too short

‹ Previous | 139 40 4144 | Next ›