5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for any age !
Wonderful for anybody that wants to know the answers to life's sometimes baffling questions (especially if you have children that want the answers to questions that sometimes you even have doubts about). This book is almost certainly for you (look really clever in front of the childern, no more ask the teacher the answer to that one). Boys will love the question on...
Published on 23 Feb 2007 by Alessi Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable
I enjoyed both books equally; the questions were simple enough the answers even simpler in some instances. Now I know why the penguin's feet don't stick and who or not eats wasps, couldn't get through the day without the answers. Enjoyable read
Published on 6 Nov 2006 by S. Wallace

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars why don't penguins' feet freeze?: and 114 other questions, 19 Jan 2007
D. HOLMES "David Holmes" (orkney) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions (Paperback)
THIS IS A GREAT BOOK, 3 of us read it, and we all learned and retained different things. It was explained on the whole simply for the lay person to understand. I read the 1st 2 books and thought this one was as good if not better than the 1st 2 book. Give it as a gift, or read it yourself. EVEN the fussy and difficult will find something to enjoy, laugh and even learn about, if they admit it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Facts, 27 Nov 2006
Ichabod J (Farleigh Wallop, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A thoroughly informative and fun read - almost everyone will find snippets fascinating. The range of replies to each question adds a further degree of interest.

I, for one, now know more than I necessarily needed to about what birds excrete onto my car and also that I'm amongst the 35% of humans that sneeze in sunlight (apparently rules me out as a fighter pilot).

Entertaining and educational.

4.0 out of 5 stars Penguins' Feet Are Just the Start, 6 Oct 2006
I was a big fan of the first book and this one's even better. Once you start going through the questions, you get more and more caught up in them. As well as knowing about penguins' feet, I'm now also an expert on conkers, the dangerous lives of left-handers, and how to make the perfect cup of tea!

5.0 out of 5 stars No, it's not because they wear a tuxedo, 23 Nov 2007
Bellhop Bob (Gloucestershire and environs) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure about this book, but then I bought DO ANTS HAVE ARSEHOLES? And laughed myself silly. This book is on the same scale.

The book contains questions we've all wondered about, but were afraid to ask. And here they are. With the answers. The great thing about WHY DON'T PENGUINS' FEET FREEZE is that it can be read by adults and children. PG rating. The ideas range from history to physics, to chemistry and strophysics, so you won't be bored, but neither will you be overwhelmed. For other great books, I'd reommend DON'T STOP ME NOW and the book DRESS YOUR FAMILY IN CORDUORY by David Sedaris.

2.0 out of 5 stars So so., 28 Nov 2006
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Now here is a thing. This book actually doesn't tell you the answers in many cases to the questions posed. In fact the questions are generally much better than the answers. The problem is that the questions are not dealt with by the authors or experts in the field of the particular question. They are answered by Joe Public who reads the New Scientist, which is all well and good if the person is Prof of that discipline relevant to the poser, but this is not normally the case. Also the questions are often answered by more than one person and often with differing results. My feeling is that whilst clearly some people are worth listening to, the fact that any old Tom, Dick or Harry with a plausible and possibly right or wrong answer means that you just can't actually feel that you know the correct answer. Sort of defeats the role of the book to be honest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite dissapointing, 19 Sep 2007
I've been a big fan of New Scientist for a number of years, and was so excited to see this book, and "Does anything eat wasps?". I decided to buy this one over the first one, for a reason unbeknown to me, and I was quite dissapointed with the content and replies to the questions.

I was expecting set-in-stone scientific reasons for each question, and much of the time it is simply a persons opinion, and there may even be 3 or 4 answers to the same question each saying something different, which then makes me beg the question..What's the point? I'm still non the wiser!

I thought this book would appeal to me much more than it actually does, it seemed like a book full of answers to questions I reguarly annoy friends and family with, but many of the questions seem like they were asked for the sake of asking, and that New Scientist were clutching at straws to get enough content to fill the book.

There are some interesting facts which can be taken, but nothing which can't be found on the internet.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 5 Dec 2006
Someone got me "Does Anything Eat Wasps?" last year for Christmas, so I picked up a copy of Penguins to return the favour. Thinking I'd just flick through the book and see if it was as good was a bad idea, as I ended up reading the whole thing just to find out the answers to all of life's little mysteries. Great fun to read, just pick it up and dive in. Looks like I'll have to get another copy now as this one is staying with me over christmas...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Funny Read, 22 Nov 2006
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Well over a hundred questions that you have always wanted to know the answers to. If you can remember the answers to all of these questions, you could end up being a genius and one of Mensa's all time greats. Alternatively it could send you over the edge and they'll end up sending for the men in white coats. Not for you, but the people you keep telling the answers to.

Joking apart this is a compilation of questions that no one has ever thought ask, and if they did want to ask, where on earth would they find the answers to such bizarre questions. If the questions are bizarre, some of the answers are even more so. Some scientific, some funny and some so simple you wonder why you did not think of it yourself.

A good book to relax with on Boxing Day when all the relatives have gone home and you can get some peace and quiet. That would be a good question: "How do I get some peace and quiet?" Even this book hasn't got the answer to that one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky but fun, 12 Dec 2006
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
As I say in the title, this is a quirky little book, but fun never-the-less. I like the way it is set out with several people giving replies on the topic. Despite the fact I am not a scientist, I found it easy to read and full of interest. It is the sort of book you could give to most people as a present, and could pull out at family christmas parties. There is enough interest there for anyone. I liked this book, not just because I am a penguin fan, you will have to read it to find out "why" penguins feet don't freeze. Buy it and enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Amateur Expert Book!, 25 May 2009
Amazon Customer (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I thought this was going to be a book where experts give their answers to quirky questions, like other books I have, but not so, it seems that every person is "getting in on the act" with sometimes contradictory answers! If you really want the anwers to these questions, then this is NOT the book for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions
Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions by New Scientist (Paperback - 5 Oct 2006)