5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read
An original book. Contents organised around people's typical days, but I find the chapters are great fun to dip into - and are the right length for that. They are in effect essays. I've learnt plenty of stuff from this book in terms of social history, sociology - but that makes it sound dry and academic, which it isn't. It's a whimsical, diverting, read.
Published on 31 May 2007 by Antonio

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but not THAT good
The aim of this book is to record the everyday life of someone commuting to an office, simply recording some of their experiences and reflecting on how these have become part of everyday life. A simple example is the rise of the `ready meal' - the chicken kiev, shepherds pie or whatever you had for dinner - from an American devising a way to get rid of 270 tons of...
Published on 1 Jan 2010 by Andrew Walker

4.0 out of 5 stars revealing the perfectly obvious, 22 Jun 2010
This review is from: Queuing for Beginners: The Story of Daily Life From Breakfast to Bedtime (Paperback)
how often do we stop to consider the mundane routines and rituals of everyday life??? that is the premise of this work, which takes us through a day in the life of the average working briton exploring parts of the day which are often ignored or overlooked. Taking into account historical developments in social behaviour with a witty twist, the easy to read style engages without feeling like a lecture. If you want to think about your daily life and how you came to do what you do now this is the book for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather lightweight, 13 Oct 2010
I read this after reading the Author's "On Roads" which takes a single mundane subject and, by subjecting it to intense scrutiny, makes it rather interesting. This book skips over too many areas; none of them are really examined in much depth. It's an easy, fairly entertaining read (although the overuse of the word "quotidian" did irritate me - "ordinary" or "everyday" would have done just as well, fitted better with the author's general style, and not had me reaching for the dictionary). You'll probably pick up one or two interesting facts in each chapter as well as (depending on your age of course) wryly reminisce about how things used to be 20 or 30 years ago. But that leads me on to another (perhaps inevitable) shortcoming of the book - what's "quotidian" is constantly changing and already 3 or 4 years after publication there are some glaring omissions from his commentary; the explosion in mobile Internet / Blackberry use being one obvious example.

3.0 out of 5 stars jsd review, 13 Sep 2010
Queuing for Beginners

First thing - I will never look at Andrew Marr with quite the same degree of awe following his remarks on the front cover. You let me down, Andrew!

I was very excited by the reviews and its promise of humour and enlightenment. By the end of the first chapter I was already disappointed. Almost bored. It is an `obvious' read with nothing very new. By chapter 3, I was longing for a novel.
The writing style did much to influence my opinion, akin to reading a report by your sales manager.

This is a book with buckets of information and facts and figures which in the telling, we should be glorifying. But it does disappoint and I think it is mainly the writing style which is to blame.

Page 55 was my first taste of interesting/good writing, "there is even a purpose to that unloved subset of office gossip, whingeing". Lovely.
Page 57 my favourite quote "Cappuccino might not be everyone's cup of tea, but a deal's a deal." Fab.
Page 71 Disagree vehemently about the British not queuing well. We are definitely the best in the world.

About halfway - and so it starts. .............The Thatcher Obsession. The book's time period spans quite a number of decades but no other PM gets a mention. She is even blamed for the weather at one point. I actually started marking the pages and by page 210 I wrote in the margin `beyond a joke now!' No idea why there is such relevance (or guilt) put on Thatcherism but it is certainly evident.

In essence - felt like I was reading a cut and paste job and although it did not live up to expectations I enjoyed it.

Queuing for Beginners: The Story of Daily Life From Breakfast to Bedtime