5.0 out of 5 stars Junior necessity? I'll say...
Having owned and read the adult version of this book, I must say, its younger brother is probably essential for children!

Although I do not currently own it, I've managed to obtain a preview. Thus, I can NOW state that I SHALL be buying it for my younger familiars.

*Dark laugh*

In all seriousness, it's a must for kids and can even prove...
Published on 25 Sep 2006 by EWGA6

2.0 out of 5 stars Eats, Shoots & Leaves - left me cold!
This book was really hyped and I thought that it would be really good. What it actually comes across as is a kind of Grumpy Old Men moan on about punctuation and after a while it just isn't funny any more.

For me this was a book that you would want to dip into ocasionally, it is certainly not a page turner!
Published on 26 Sep 2006 by K. Middleton

5.0 out of 5 stars Junior necessity? I'll say..., 25 Sep 2006
This review is from: Eats, Shoots & Leaves For Children: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference (Hardcover)

*Dark laugh*

In all seriousness, it's a must for kids and can even prove helpful for adults (such as myself) who are tearfully struggling to dominate the pedantic world of punctuation.

I hope Lynne didn't hear me say that and if she did, 'twas but a joke!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't help cheering it on, because it has done such a good job in its humble way, 28 Jan 2008
John A. Launders "JA" (Kent) - See all my reviews
How does a book about how to use commas and colons properly have lodged itself at No 1 on bestseller lists? Maybe Lynne Truss' books success shows that it is not just a few reactionaries who care. Truss agrees it's selling off the internet and stickler-types probably don't do their shopping on the internet. Lynne Truss wonders if there might be readers whose higher education has given them at least a guilty conscience about what they have not been taught, suddenly thinking that perhaps it does matter and I wouldn't mind knowing this stuff. Those copies stacked in Waterstone's might show that there are plenty of people who want to be, as Lynne Truss puts it, 'virtuous'.

While Truss says that 'despair' gave this book its impetus, she does not sound despairing either in print or in person. The title itself is a joke, about an irate panda who walks into a cafe, orders a sandwich, eats it, draws a gun and fires two shots into the air. The waiter finds the explanation for this erratic behavior in a badly punctuated wildlife manual which the bear leaves behind: Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! tells you the rules, but is also full of jokes and anecdotes. It is a sort of celebration of punctuation. You can't help cheering it on, because it has done such a good job in its humble way. She speaks of the delights of the semi-colon with relish. She has listened to the man from the Apostrophe Protection Society (yes, it exists) but does not sound like a member of any such group. "I was so worried when I wrote the book that people would assume that anyone interested in this subject would be small-minded". --Lynne Truss.

I don't really know where punctuation is going. But this is a very good moment to look at it and see what state it's in. The internet and emails have come along very conveniently for people who didn't learn punctuation and can therefore get by. Punctuation helps give rhythm and a tone of voice to writing, and Truss thinks it no accident that readers of emails often find it difficult to pick up the tone of the person who's written it, with all those dashes. The grace notes get lopped off and it becomes very bald. So people start needing exclamation marks and capital letters, desperately trying to express a tone of voice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, but overpriced, 24 Mar 2013
Super book. Lots of fun. Very accessible for a nine year old.

Rather pricey, though, for a 30-or-so page book.

4.0 out of 5 stars And Relax, 6 Oct 2006
The drawings and sentences in this book complement each other incredibly well. I have several nieces and nephews, all under 8, and this year they shall all get this book. It is a charming and funny creation. I think it is a book that will stimulate the imagination, it does not say right from wrong, it is purely a fun book and should be read as such. I agree with the comments that it is not a page turner- it is a page stopper- giving time to take in the expresions and actions of the children in the drawings.

P.S.

I am from the lost generation that lacks punctuation training. A few words to all those who say it isn't important: students from state schools will never get jobs in law and media due to a lack of this skill. Punctation is essential in these fields, and students who get taught it in private schools will take those jobs. The class system is alive and well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where was this when I was at school?, 5 Oct 2006
I got this book for my kids and they're loving it! The pictures are really nice and colourful, which keeps their attention. I'm no grammar expert but hopefully my kids will be!

4.0 out of 5 stars Retraction of earlier feedback, 30 Mar 2014
When I submitted my original feedback I was annoyed at the delay in delivery as the books ordered were part of a birthday present. I now accept that it was not awesome books fault but the carrier. If I could re-do the feedback they would receive 5 stars from me as their customer services are outstanding and i would recommend them to eveyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great great book., 6 Mar 2014
The book is fantastic. My son loves it. It is the only book he has ever taken to school to share.

5.0 out of 5 stars Punctuation mark teaching, 2 Feb 2014
An excellent resource for my Y5 children who could appreciate the humour of the illustrations linked to the text, it inspired them to try their own ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good way to teach commas!, 23 Nov 2013
Fab book- I am looking forward to using it with my grammar group. Is there a similar one for other punctuation?

4.0 out of 5 stars Greta book, 13 Oct 2013
The book was just what I was looking for to teach some 12 year old about grammar.
The book itself was as described, second hand and showed slight wear and tear.
A good purcahse