5.0 out of 5 stars The place to start
How can a book which has almost no pictures be the ultimate introduction to branding?

I was highly sceptical, and only added it onto to my list of branding books to buy because it was cheap. How wrong I was.

Published on 26 Jan. 2008 by Martin Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but please! don't expect nirvana
I can't believe some of these other reviews. Some guy gave it 5 stars and admitted that he hadn't read it yet! I assume that isn't a plant, because it's too stupid to be a plant.
Published on 17 Feb. 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The place to start, 26 Jan. 2008
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding (Paperback)

In 172 readable, small-paperback pages, Al Ries and his daughter Laura unveil the fundamentals of branding, stripping away the most powerful myths and demonstrating with a mixture of brand successes, failures, falls and rises, that they know what they are talking about. What's more, what they say made sense of many things I have been dimly feeling towards in my 20 years as a communications professional.

I suspect that this book oversells itself slightly. The title made me suspicious, and the definitiveness of statements which go against what you find in other books makes you wonder, at points, if what it's saying is really this cut and dried. I probably would have disregarded this book if I'd read it ten years ago: but practical industry experience convinces me that what it is saying is right, and the other books, which focus on choosing your name and redesigning the logo, are the ones which only understand a part of the picture.

It took me about an hour and a half to read this book, and I will never see branding the same way again. That's good value for you. On the other hand, I probably won't be reading and re-reading it avidly. It makes its points, which can be quickly revised from the chapter headings. Now it's time to move on.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone who wants (or needs) to learn about branding. I can't imagine a better introduction to the subject for someone who already has enough industry experience to recognise what it is talking about. I wouldn't recommend anyone to _only_ read this book: it is an extremely sound beginning, not an encyclopaedia.

In terms of what this book is trying to be, I don't think there could be any higher recommendation than that.

Superb.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but please! don't expect nirvana, 17 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
The book is good, thought-provoking, and has some real insights. HOWEVER, it is a little simplistic, and it's written for the brand manager of Coke. For those of us without 80+ years of brand history behind us yet, some of his advice isn't relevant. Also, some of his conclusions are just too simplistic: "Symbols are overrated and don't matter much anyway" (paraphrasing). Come on. You can't tell me the swoosh isn't a powerful asset, and the authors admit it, but they poo-poo the entire concept.
Section on naming is very insightful. And the hard advice on expansion is right on! Overall, good, and worth buying for any marketing person. But, this is definitely NOT the bible. Come on, people!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, not simplistic, 9 Nov. 2002
Norberto Amaral (Aveiro, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding (Paperback)
This is one of the simplest yet most important books I read on branding. Al and Laura Ries outline 22 short rules for success in branding - or failure, if you go against them.
Some of these rules are very obvious, such as The Law of Credentials and The Law of the Name. Others are not and will you will have to take the odd deep breath and ask yourself if that really was what the authors meant. Once you think it, though, it all makes perfect sense and you're already on the next chapter.
The authors didn't even have to drown the reader with useless, obscure case studies, when examples of brands everyone knows about are so plentiful. The language is simple and relaxed and so very effective.
So, if you're not hoping for a treaty on marketing this is the right book for you. It doesn't matter if you're a student, a seasoned marketer or a consumer who wants to know what some people are doing to consumers' minds: you will find this highly informative, blunt, enlightening and very fun to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow the Law!, 27 May 2010
K. Patel (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding (Paperback)
When buying this book I was a little concerned about the relevance of a 2003 edition in an industry that has moved on considerably since that time. How wrong I was!
This book is insightful, absorbing and thought-provoking with a plethora of examples that make each law easier to understand. Yes, times have changed but these general principles can be still applied to and observed in brands today.

I would say that coming from a business consultancy background, the issue of brand building versus business building (a conflict identified throughout the book) could be better tackled but even without an explanation of how you can reconcile the two, this book is a must-have for any business person, not just marketers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and brilliant!, 26 Nov. 2009
Jonathan Kettleborough (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding (Paperback)
Let's be honest; we can't escape brands! In this book, Al and Laura walk you through the 22 key issues that make a brand a great brand.

With real examples from Coca-Cola, Starbucks, Rolex, Federal Express, Xerox and The Body Shop (but to name a few), the power of brands and the way in which they are positioned in our world is brought to life.

This is not just a book for the marketing professional; this is a book for everyone who owns and works with brands, be that a major corporation or a corner shop.

An easy to read and very clearly articulated book, Al and Laura provide an insight into brands that will be of use to all entrepreneurs, corporate 'types', students and small business owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my all-time top 5 most re-read business books, 13 May 2001
Patrick Moore (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Of all the business books I have ever read (quite a few by now) this is probably the one I have recommended to the most people. Despite being a thin book and an easy read to boot, it offers some deceptively deep insight into what does or doesn't work in branding.
I would certainly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in business, whether or not they are directly involved in brand development. For those who are, reading this is an absolute must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book on the essentials of branding, 16 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding (Paperback)
I bought this book quite a few years ago and lost my copy so bought it again a few weeks ago. It is a great book on the essentials of branding and the authors take a simple, yet really informative look at what makes up a brand in short chapters that you can read on their own. As a marketeer I recommend this book to my clients as you can learn a lot about branding in a very short space of time. It is suitable for everyone and even my husband who is an engineer and usually doesn't have time for marketing "fluff" as he calls it, said he found it quite engaging and now believes himself a branding expert:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for anyone planning to setup new business, 8 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding (Paperback)
I think its good book for anyone who is planning to start a business and wants to know some basic concepts of branding. I found it quite interesting. I am sure anyone who is not Master in Business will love this book. Good thing is the way its organized. You can read any section randomly as each one is independent of others. I loved chapters about Law of Category, Law of Expansion and Law of Contraction.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent aide memoire, 2 Dec. 2012
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Okay, this book is not going to change your life: it sets out to do a simple task in a consistent and intelligent way and does so successfully, so 5 stars. Other books I have read recently have had the ability to help you change and re-focus your business; this book is a good product to keep beside them, to fill in the odd gap and to reitterate the point without having to delve into chapters of information. It is short and you could read it through in less than an hour and a half, but it is worth savouring and making a few notes along the way. This is the second book on branding I have purchased recently; the other longer and in more depth, but both books coincide to a remarkable extent which, to my mind, endorses this volume as a reliable textbook on the subject of branding. I value books such as these on what it teaches me and the extent to which it stimulates thought and generates ideas and/or knowledge. Branding is not something in which I am expert: I know a lot more about it as a result of reading this book and it has proved helpful. I am glad I bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars 22 Immutable laws to branding, 20 July 2010
Mr. Ewan A. Menzies (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding (Paperback)
"An expensive Swiss watch - Rolex! The ultimate driving machine - BMW!

Everyone knows these brands and what they stand for, but what makes them so memorable and so strong where others fail. The book discusses why Kodak is dying away, why Millers Miller Regular beer died and numerous other examples.

This book is a very easy read and takes you step by step through "22 laws" on branding, what to do and what not to do. These include your colours, use of advertising, the quality of the product, subbrands and the mortality of brands. There are a lot of easy to apply concepts you can use it your business but it is also clear branding is a difficult area to master as some of the biggest companies in the world have made mistakes and continue to do so.

If you are unsure what your brand stands for or want to leverage your brand to grow your business, or introduce an additional line or family to the brand you need to read this book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding
The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding by Laura Ries (Paperback - 3 April 2000)