Format: PaperbackChange

on 21 February 2007
I first read this book back in 2003 but due to having nothing new to read I am half way through it again. It is an excellent little book and can be completed in a few nights avid reading, although due to the strange Greek names others may want to take longer to digest the Gods/Family history a little more. The book starts out setting the scene telling of how the Gods and the Humans came to be, then moves on to the more fun stories and myths.

Because of it's shortness it is only really a grounding for books of this eara but as a positive the myth's in this form can easily be adapted to be read to children. The best thing about the book is that it is told in a story style rather than a Historical Fact style like so many are which makes it a much more pleasant read.

This is the first Greek setting book I read which got me hooked, has since led me down the Historical fiction route of Pressfield and his much more realistic and gruesome novels.

If you want to quickly get upto speed on who's who in the Gods and some of the characters spoken about in other more detailed novels then this book is the perfect starting point.
0Comment43 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2007
This book acts as an interesting and thoroughly engaging introduction to Greek Mythology.
Starting out with 'How the world was created' according to Greek Legend, with God & Goddess names spread throughout, allowing for a previously versed reader to be refreshed, or for a first time reader to easily learn.
The Legends are then told in a short story-like manner, which is an utter delight to read, time and time again.
This book is 'light' in it's writing, but gives much information and a great overview of Greek Mythology.
I highly recommend this book for both young and old alike. You don't even have to have an interest in Ancient Greek Legends to enjoy this book and the stories within.
0Comment37 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2007
I asked for a book on Greek mythology as although I knew many of the names, I was distinctly hazy on the finer points of who they were and what they did. The book is really an edited down version of the myths and the author makes no bones about pointing out where stories have multiple versions. It is well-written with slightly whimsical comments from the author woven in from time to time. It does get to the heart of the stories without wasting its words and the tales are clearly put across. Greek mythology can be a trifle confusing at times as there are so much entangled lineage and enmities which run through it all but as a gateway into the subject, this book is a winner.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2012
I'd never really know much about the Greek gods and this book really did teach me a great deal. However I would have preferred much more about the legendary myths and less about the historical context as I found this a little tedious and repetitive at times. I did find fascinating how some of the historical context was linked to our everyday life now, but I found it much more enthrauling learning about the exciting adventures. Overall I would say this book is great for a foundation of knowledge but if your only really interested in the myths and heros then I wouldn't advise this book.
on 21 May 2010
This book looks pretty heavy..but as they say 'never judge a book by its cover'.
It is an absolute delight to read and despite the myriad of names,is very easy to get into.
Did you now Cyclops was Poseidons son?I didnt.
Anyhoo,the only down side for me is the occasional lapse into 'modern' talk..
Oddysseus 'took a powder' etc. which becomes a little more prevailant towards the end of the book,but that may be due in part to the fact that the book was translated from French.
Who knows?Who cares?
I won't,however, look at 'Jason and the Argonauts' (one of my favourite films as a child)in quite the same way ever again.
It is a loose telling of Oddyseus' travels following the sacking of Troy..and frankly the film could have been (still could be) a trilogy that would kick Peter Jacksons LOTR into touch.
But I digress.
This is a fantastic book and well worth reading and then going back to read again.
on 18 December 2010
This book is amazing. I received it as a Christmas present from a friend and found myself unable to put it down.
I have several other books on Greek Mythology which I have found to be too 'text book'. This book however is written in a story telling kind of way. It makes the already interesting subject even more thrilling to read about.

I would recommend this for anyone interested in this genre of book.

I cant recommend it enough.
on 14 April 2011
I read this book to get a little bit more of an understanding before I delved into the deeper information in another book I had bought on the same subject. Definately glad I bought it!
on 5 October 2010
I would HIGHLY recommend this for beginners in greek mythology with little or no prior knowledge. Usually a lot of books/encyclopaeds narrate mythological details and history in a boring and plain manner. In a more factual language. However here the author's narrated Greek Mythology in a novelistic manner, the way its written is made poetic by the use of expressive metaphors that draws you in. The flow of details is smooth, gradual and it starts from beginning introducing to the elements in a very understandable way. :) Loved reading it absolutely!
on 5 November 2010
The book is perfect to understand and get started in the world of greek myths. It is very "reader-friendly" in the sense that uses simple words but the ideas are clear. Sometimes it fails to be clear to refer sources for further investigation, but this issue will affect the reader only if he/she has an academic approach. The book is a ideal to kick-off in the subject. Higly recomended.
on 22 September 2013
Excellent ! An easy read for all ages, and a must if Shakespeare , Milton and many other writers are to be enjoyed.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse