on 11 September 2003
It's rare to find an historical acount that keep one spell bound. I simply couldn't put this book down. I new very little about the coastal forces before reading this. I thought they were little more than an annoyance to the enemy. Pope clearly shows that these men did far more toward the aim of winning the war than one might have thought. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of allied coastal forces in World War II.
on 13 August 2004
This is a fast paced and very interesting book detailing the activities of the British Coastal Forces in the Med during WW2.
Using a combination of MTB's and Fairmile D Motor Gunboats the Royal Navy based first in Malta and later Italy fought the German and Italian Navies for control of the sea.
I own several of Dudley Pope's books naval history, each on a different topic or event. His books to me are marked by their easy reading and by the incredible level of detail which the author somehow manages to cram in them. Dudley Pope paints a very vivid picture until you're ordering Flag 4 on a dark night in 1942.
Buy this book!!
on 3 April 2008
I am currently reading this and am having difficulty putting it down. It gives a fascinating overview of the various sea battles and skirmishes, and more importantly the effects these battles had on the overall campaign in the Mediterranean, both axis and allied.
These small boats because of their speed and stealth were able to restrict axis shipping movements, especially at night when there was no air cover.
Overall a very well written book.
on 21 July 2009
Writing a family history and needed to obtain details of my father's service in MTBs in the Med during WW2. A perfect choice (along with another book I found on this subject. Provide all of the details I needed along with the colour of the engagements undertaken by these brave boats/sailors. Put all the stories my late father told me into perspective. Amply illustrated with pictures and maps and stories from the people who lived on these boats.
on 11 January 2014
This book is one of the few to cover the subject in any detail. The style is now rather dated and dry. Sometimes a bit difficult to follow and lacking a bit of colour to the writing.
on 24 July 2013
An excellent book, on a subject not comprehensively and widely covered by other books, An excellent read by a very descriptive author, I really enjoyed reading it.
on 15 May 2015