4.0 out of 5 stars Strategy matters - but you need a map, 17 April 2002
Malcolm Wicks (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What is Strategy and Does it Matter? (Paperback)
The book is only 150 pages long but allocate twice as much time as you would expect to read it. The first reason is that it's been written by an academic and they have their own writing style which some of us take time to adjust to. The second reason is that its easy to get confused and you have to read it slowly. It starts with four different perspectives on strategy and refers to them throughout the book as consistent reference points. Once I had written down the four perspectives and added notes to each as I read the book it became a whole lot easier.
Thoughout the book the author tried to take an independent view of the four different perspectives but occasionally his preferences showed though. I think that he was right to take this viewpoint and hence avoided coming up with the type of generalised "fit all" solutions that are found in some business books.
The biggest value that I got from this book is that it enabled me to better understand how and why particular marketing strategies that I had been part of turned out as they did. No book has even helped me do this before. The other benefit is that it will give me more things to consider when I'm work on strategies in the future and isn't that why most of us buy books like this?
Overall an excellent book that works at many different levels. If it had been just a bit easier to read I'd have given it the top number of stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: What is Strategy and Does it Matter? (Paperback)
this is exactly what I expected 10/10, highly recommend for anybody to use. worth the money, most certainly, advisory to buy other texts so you can compare, but if you only have enough for one text book then this is a must buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 Aug 2014
good

What is Strategy and Does it Matter?
What is Strategy and Does it Matter? by Richard Whittington (Paperback - 21 Dec 2000)
53.20