Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 April 2009
I bought this book because I was looking for more information about linocutting. From the title I expected quite a bit on the subject, but there was only one short chapter. However, much of the material was relevant to the subject, even if it didn't say so. BUT - the illustrations are wonderful, ad it gave me lots of inspiration and information. It is well presented and beautifully illustrated, and the text is easy to read and understand. I find I keep looking at it and will enjoy it for a long time to come.
on 24 December 2009
This is a lovely book. As well as offering a lot of practical advice, it contains many beautiful and inspiring examples of work by the author and other artists from the earliest days of engraving through to the present. This alone would make it worth buying. The chapter on lino cutting - my primary motivation for buying the book - may seem short in itself, but in fact a lot of the advice in the rest of the book applies to this area too. While the book is sometimes a little wordy, I did find the discussions of the artistic, thematic and practical aspects of individual works very useful.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 January 2012
I bought this book unseen, because I was interested in making fine quality linocuts with the style and delicacy of woodcuts; I thought it would be a good "crossover" book. The strength of this book is the guidance on composition; although it does, as the other review says, concentrate on the author's work, this enables her to explain and demonstrate things effectively.

The weak point of this book is that there is very, very little about actually printing, and even less about printing from linoblocks; in fact the book is overwhelmingly about woodcuts, and almost all of that is about design and composition. For good measure, some completely irrelevant woodCARVINGS by the author's husband are included, Lord alone knows why.

If I had had a chance to see this book first I wouldn't have bought it; not quite money down the drain, but certainly not what was suggested from the blurb. Instead, I recommend you get The Complete Manual of Relief Printmaking, which is excellent and technically very informative; a much better buy.
on 4 January 2013
Bought this for my mum for Christmas. She's just got into doing Linocutting and printing (in fact made a Christmas card using this technique) and I was looking for some books to give her inspiration. There weren't many available on Amazon but this one seemed to be OK with good reviews. All I can say here is that she was very excited on opening the present. Christmas Day evening (!!!) she was looking through it already and her mouth was watering with the idea of the next project.
on 3 April 2010
This book is ok, but it largely features the work of the author, when it could have given a very much wider coverage of the subject.
It is quite remarkable that M C Escher is never mentioned, yet is probably the most famous wood engraver ever.