Every house I have ever lived in, rented or bought has had damp of some sort. Buyers want reductions from the seller because of it, tradesman can tell you anything- and do anything to 'cure' it. It is a shameful odour and a blight on our paintwork.
Published on 11 July 2008 by stepless

2.0 out of 5 stars Good maybe if you have a good technical understanding of ...
I bought it to try to understand some damp problems I have had in my house. However, it is too technical. Good maybe if you have a good technical understanding of buildings, but otherwise it is too hard. In the end I found out that I had to learn through experience and I had to ask the opinion of several builders until I found a good and reliable one (which was not easy).
Published 2 months ago by Worldbellydance

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Become your own expert, diagnose your problems and learn the best action to take, 11 July 2008
This review is from: The Damp House: A Guide to the Causes and Treatment of Dampness (Hardcover)
This book shows you what kind of damp you have, what causes it and what remedies to take to diminish it. It might stop you purchasing a house that is going to always have problems- or stop you paying a fortune to a trader, when you could take other actions.
It is easy to understand and covers every type of damp, with drawings & photos to help.
There should be a copy in every estate agents office, to help the client. I am no longer afraid of dampness.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are interested in healthy residential environments get this book., 3 Jan 2012
Excellent, interesting, well-written book which not only answered all the questions I had but managed to answer even more that I hadn't realised I should have been asking. Any technical issues are easily explained in lay terms and are therefore made understandable without any waffle but with sufficient information. If you have either any current problems with damp or simply wish to avoid creating damp in your home I would thoroughly recommend this title. If you are interested in sustainable, healthy living conditions then this book is a great primer. The only one small complaint I have is that there is no Kindle edition...

5.0 out of 5 stars Damp made interesting!!, 9 Sep 2010
This is a straight forward and well written text that will particularly appeal to the lay-man. If you have suspected damp in your property, it would be well worth reading this book before you go diving in and spending money on damp treatments that you may regret. This book will give you the basic information to be able to make informed decisions as to which course of action to take. One particular strength of this book is the way in which the author has supplemented the theory with drawings that enhance the explanations in a simple logical manner. Recommended reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for old house renovators, 26 Feb 2012
This is the first time I have been so moved to write a product review. This book has changed my life. After living in a damp old house we have been trying to renovate for 10 years by page 12 I had regained all my personal confidence and learnt to diagnose and recognise all the problems in our house. All the confusion and ignorance of the last 10 years was wiped out. I now have all the tools I need to completely sort our house. I love all the hand drawn diagrams, which make the subject of damp so easy to understand. I recommend the book as the most important publication any average person (ie non professional builder) renovating an old house (without damp course) to buy. The best £12 ish I have ever spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Damp House, 2 Nov 2012
A good book covers all aspects of damp. Clear diagrams. Explains the causes of damp, different methods of treating it and the appropriate methods for your property type . A comprehensive book ideal to buy before seeking expert damp advise. I should have bought this book when I bought the damp cottage rather than just before starting building work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful guide, 26 Aug 2013
A well written/structured book which clearly defines the different causes of damp along with various methods to deal with the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Damp House: A very useful guide, 16 May 2013
This book is very easy to read and understand. I am a lay person and I find it very informative and I would say it is a good guide as to what level of professional help is needed to resolve problems of dampness.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 13 Sep 2011
I bought this as a gift for someone who had damp in their old house. She was worrying about the cause and long term effect. It offered information about different types of damp and solutions to sort them out it also contained pictures and diagrams. I also bought her a damp meter to keep check on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Architects BUY THIS!, 13 July 2012
Every architect/student should have this book. It makes sense of everything in the most simple way and has very clear drawings to assist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 3 Feb 2012
Bookworm 44 (Lancs, England) - See all my reviews
Does a very good job of explaining different reasons for damp and how to treat. SAhows how easily we may be misled!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Damp House: A Guide to the Causes and Treatment of Dampness
The Damp House: A Guide to the Causes and Treatment of Dampness by Jonathan Hetreed (Hardcover - 8 April 2008)