Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 July 2009
I have been working out in various martial arts for 20+ years and have lots of "how to books" this is by far the best martial arts/boxing book I have read in terms of a realistic weights, plyometrics and ton-up's routine/suggestions.....anyone looking to take up boxing should buy this as it covers most aspects that can be taught without a coach and apart from a small section in Joe Frasiers book (which is only a small bodyweight workout) is the only book I have read dedicated to boxing that has a good weights section, also, covers running, sprints, diet, technique etc and Gary Blower is an ABA coach - so you know his information is up-to-date and being taught to good boxers and is proven.
on 12 March 2014
The price is a bit steep considering that the book isn't particularly thick, but it's full of useful information and covers virtually everything you could cover without actually going to a boxing gym and getting one-to-one advice from a coach. The author, Gary Blower, is himself an ABA coach with a respectable amateur boxing career behind him so he knows what he's talking about and the advice and techniques in this book are well proven, having been taught to all of his boxers.
He covers all aspects of boxing from its origins, details about the sport now, on to basic techniques and later, some more advanced areas. He also covers physical training and diet in detail and there's a good weight training section. If you're interested in taking up boxing, whether it's to compete, for the physical conditioning involved, the self-defence aspect or a mixture of those, then this book is a good first step.
Unfortunately I didn't discover boxing until my early 30s and I was a complete novice when I first picked up this book but now I consider myself to be a capable amateur. My fighting abilities have even been tested outside of the ring on one occasion when I was out walking the dog near to a local primary school. As I approached a group of children, I swear I heard one of them say something. Obviously I was forced to defend myself despite there being three of them, all at least 6 years old and the eldest probably nearer 7 or 8. I took on the eldest first. Jab, jab, cross. Bang. He went down like a sack of potatoes.
The second one stood rooted to the spot, eyes wide and a vicious-looking Thomas The Tank Engine rucksack held in front of him. A sure sign of aggression. I knew my life was in danger so again I was forced to attack. Jab, cross, uppercut. Kablamo. He hit the grass. The third one was running now, sobbing. But these were obviously tears of aggression and the gait of her run was extremely menacing. I had no choice but to pursue. Years of honing my body paid off as I quickly caught her up and was on her like Pacquiao, my fists unleashed in a storm of controlled fury. Jab, jab, cross, hook, cross. Goodnight Vienna.

By the time I came round the police were there and the three children stood watching as the paramedics worked on my injuries. Witnesses say that she used a Dora The Explorer pencil tin on me. I can't remember any of it but knowing that she fought dirty is enough for me to be able to walk away from all of this with my head held high for taking a stand against gang violence, and once my sentence is over I can get on with my life.
on 7 November 2010
I own this book and am impressed with the detail and the pictures that accompany the manuscript. This is written in easy to understand terms and if you're a coach like me is a very useful reference when needed. I thoroughly recommend this book to coaches and boxers alike.
on 24 May 2012
I thought that this was a worthwhile purchase, as along with popping to my local Boxing Club, I also train in my garage on the slam man / punch bag. This book gave me various skills to practise and some good workouts too.
For my purpose I thought it was good and have enjoyed referring to the book when training.
on 11 March 2014
The book came in good condition however the postman decided to bend it to fit through letter box. Not the sellers fault. The book is not as detailed as i hoped and is lacking on the complexity of how to throw basic shots e.g foot positioning, body movement etc. I learnt nothing new from this book which is a shame however its ok for somebody who knows almost nothing about boxing. a descent enough book for the coffee table. but i feel the book doesn't live up to the hype that others have commented.
on 17 February 2013
Very colourful and explanatory book of boxing skills which has brought lots of reading pleasure and writing to a reluctant reader
on 25 June 2016
Does what it says on the tin! Good for getting drills from. Obviously you can't just imitate the pictures to learn, you'll have to go down an actual boxing club, but it's a very helpful extra.
on 17 August 2013
Very good book well written and ideal for complete novice or keep fit nut to seasoned boxer. It is well set out and gave me new way of looking at training and setting programes.
on 19 January 2014
little too expensive for what it is. But a good book worth having if you are serious about amateur boxing.
on 25 November 2015
covers the basic rules, ideal for a beginner