4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the Edwardian and Inter-War House
Published on 20 Jan 2010 by VS

2.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the text is another thing
Published 19 months ago by R C

2.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the text is another thing, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Understanding the Edwardian and Inter-War Houses (1920s & 1930s) (Hardcover)
I would imagine a large number of people out there who are interested in interwar houses are Craftsmen, intrigued residents, DIY enthusiasts and other day to day hands on people. Allot of these folk, including myself, are going to have average literacy skills and vocabulary. The book however seems to be tailored towards the Humanities educated competent reader. I appreciate there will also be a larger number of people who are interested in this topic such as Historians, Teachers and other day to day literal people who will have no issues what so ever in reading it. For me though, the balance just didn't seem right and in my opinion the book has not been marketed or written for both types of reader.

The main thing I found to be a problem was the vocabulary that the author has used. As you have guessed I'm no expert on English so I won't embarrass myself by listing the words I found over complicated however from the Preface onwards its just packed with words that you would not use in everyday conversation that could easily have been replaced with simple regular words. I read the pre-face and a few pages of the first chapter however I was continuously consulting the dictionary so gave up after the first few pages.

From what I saw by glancing through the rest of the book, the author has concentrated on explaining how society and Social History contributed to the architecture throughout the Victorian and Edwardian era. In the later chapters there are some useful diagrams which explain the construction of the foundations, chimney, loft, bays etc. You can get a good idea of how the houses were built just by looking at the drawings. It is also full of photos, mainly black and white but some in colour and illustrates the differences between village, suburb and inner city houses.

To summarise: If your able to read the broadsheets and Shakespeare with ease and don't mind having the dictionary to hand then it should be an interesting and informative read. However if your more into the Daily Express and Haynes Manuals then buy with caution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the Edwardian and Inter-War House, 20 Jan 2010
I bought this book for my partner for xmas along with another book called The 1930s Home (Shire Albums) He really enjoyed both. Only negative comment was that, whilst the first few chapters of Understanding the Edwardian and Inter-War House were of general interest, the rest is rather technical describing in detail the structure of the buildings etc when his interest is more in the social history and design of the buildings. He found The 1930s Home really interesting, however, and, because it is a very thin book, read it in under an hour.

4.0 out of 5 stars great detail, 4 Feb 2014
The perfect book to help you come to grips with the common issues in period houses of this time. top tips

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Useful, 4 Jan 2013
V. Shah - See all my reviews
I'm currently doing a building Surveying course and this was perfect for the coursework at hand. Packed with so much information but its really interesting too.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1928 House, 24 Jun 2011
I found this very useful indeed. I'm no builder, so it helped me to understand what I was looking at.

Understanding the Edwardian and Inter-War Houses (1920s & 1930s)
Understanding the Edwardian and Inter-War Houses (1920s & 1930s) by Alan Johnson (Hardcover - 24 April 2006)
19.95