5.0 out of 5 stars un-put-downable
This is the book for learning about melt & pour soap making. Has great sections on history, basic techniques, equipment, trouble shooting, essential oils, directory of essential oils (very useful), fragrance, herbs (very useful), botanicals, additives, colour, vegetable oils & butters, directory of common oils & butters and recipes.

I refer to this book all the...
Published on 4 Dec. 2009 by Robert Hall

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmm
A friend bought me this book, and I think that beginners would really enjoy it. This book covers Melt and Pour Soap.

Positives:
- Lots of full colour clear photographs
- Easy, simple step by step instructions
- A 'how to work out what went wrong' section (always useful!)
- Lots of variations for you to create lots of different soaps
- A...
Published on 1 May 2012 by Hayley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars un-put-downable, 4 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Soaps (Cozy) (Paperback)

I refer to this book all the time. Best book I have on melt & pour soap making.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely soap book!, 20 July 2009
Soaps (Cozy)

This book is about buying ready made soap base & adding to it not making soap from scratch. There are some lovely soap recipes inside & tips for colour, fragrance & decoration. There are directories of herbs, oils & butters aswell as essential oils & their properties. All which can be added to your soaps. There are plenty of ideas for gifts for both adults & children. I think if you don't have alot of time on your hands to make soap from scratch but would love to make soaps, or are a beginner like me this is a lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best melt and pour soap book on the market, 13 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Soaps (Cozy) (Paperback)
I find that there are very few books available on the subject of melt and pour soap making, but of all the ones I have read this is by far the best.

This book covers everything you need to know, and is ideal whether you are just starting out with making melt and pour soap, or whether you're an experienced soap maker looking for inspiration. The book covers absolutely everything you need to know and is beautifully illustrated and laid out in an easy to read, visually appealing way.

As well as the basics of making melt and pour soap, advice is given on a large range of techniques and tips on how to stop things going wrong. There are several pages of advice on using essential oils and herbs and butters in your soaps, and I find this a very handy reference and one I keep coming back to.

There are a good selection of recipes in the book, which are easy to follow, and have provided inspiration for some of my own designs. If you're new to the craft you will not believe how easy it is to achieve great smelling, professional looking soaps that make your skin feel amazing! An added bonus is that since you are making these yourself you know exactly what is in them too.

One of the best things about this book, is that it was published in the UK (most books on this subject tend to be American), so the directory of suppliers in the back is actually relevant, and I have found some great websites thanks to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, Surperb Soaps!, 24 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Soaps (Cozy) (Paperback)
Wanting to get into making soaps but having heard of my friend's somewhat disastrous results using cold-press caustic soda (!), I had some trepidation about embarking on the craft. However, this book allayed my fears and helped me to create amazing soaps that smell wonderful and make my skin feel marvelous, look professional and can even help de-stress me! Not to mention how great they are as gifts.

All I had to do was buy some soap moulds, ready-to-use melt & pour bases (for those "soap-hards" they're vegetable glycerine bases), which you heat in a pan on the cooker or in a microwave, and the oils - then voila - soaps! It is great fun, the house smells amazing and it's so quick I can rattle out a dozen or so at a time depending on the mould. I know it's not the "traditional" way, but it's so much quicker and I didn't experience any kitchen hazards such as my friend!

The book is great with 30 "recipes" some for kids, others for indulgence, and others just plain quirky. The instructions are really easy to follow and it has a history on bathing and on soaps for those who want to explore this craft more. All in - I'm a very happy customer and I recommend this book to anyone who wants to get into this craft. At a little over £6 on Amazon, you can't go wrong. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars good for knowing more about ingredients, 21 May 2011
This review is from: Soaps (Cozy) (Paperback)
As a beginner I found the Soaps (Cozy) very good, it takes you through ingredients such as essential oils, additives, colours and so on. If you are like me and simply don't have a clue where to start from, the book will be helpful. I only didn't find the look of the soaps very exciting, comparing with other soaps that i have seen in other books and on the internet, but then again, that is a matter of taste as well. Besides, you can still use the recipes of the book, and just change the look of the soap. And to be honest, by the prices that you get here on Amazon, you can hardly go wrong. So, yes, recommend it for beginners on Melt & Pour soap making.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, 1 May 2012

Positives:
- Lots of full colour clear photographs
- Easy, simple step by step instructions
- A 'how to work out what went wrong' section (always useful!)
- Lots of variations for you to create lots of different soaps
- A good section on blending aromatherapy oils, finding scents, and properties of the essential oils
- A nice section on different properties of various other additives and oils

Negatives:
When I first read it I found it interesting and simple. There is another book by the same author about Bath Bombs, and so I sat down eagerly to read that also. I fear that the author either did not have enough material to fill this book, and so simply copied and pasted out of the other. There are entire sections of this book (eg aromatherapy essential oils, properties of base oils etc) which are exactly the same in both books. What a shame. So this for me did not seem very impressive I'm afraid, as people are paying twice for essentially half the material to be the same again! Bath Bombs (Cozy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of book about making soap at home., 3 Mar. 2010
Mrs. S. Taylor "Susan Dragon" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soaps (Cozy) (Paperback)
This book is really helpful. It gives detailed lists and descriptions of what materials are needed. It is really interesting and not at all 'dry', with a wide scope of projects to choose from. There is a soap in here to suit everyone on any budget. Well worth buying and reading; a good handbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 30 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Soaps (Cozy) (Paperback)
This book is really good and has a lot of ideas for making all sorts of soap. Great for a beginner like me, good pictures and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty, very helpful, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Soaps (Cozy) (Paperback)
This is a very pretty book, the pages are colourful and the images are very good quality. Something I really appreciate about it is that it contains tips to save you money, for example you don't need to buy soap moulds, you can find many different ones in your house!

1.0 out of 5 stars not REAL soap, 18 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Soaps (Cozy) (Paperback)
I thought this book would be about real soap, make from scratch. it should in fact be titled - melt and pour only.
Don't be fooled by the title, it hardly mentions anything about making real soap from basic recipes. I have been making soap for years and there was a mention in the preview about hot process soap. As I always make cold process soap I was intrigued, but when i got the book, the only mention of this other process was that shown in the preview. What a waste of time.
If you are into melt and pour soap then you may enjoy this but if you want to make it from scratch, this is not the book for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Soaps (Cozy)
Soaps (Cozy) by Elaine Stavert (Paperback - 7 Jun. 2009)