5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with excellent practical info...
The reason I love this book is that it's packed with so much info, that I pick up something new every time I read it.

Published on 30 July 2007 by Ms. Clare S. Bruce

3.0 out of 5 stars Just about ok if you have little experience
Published on 26 Dec. 2010 by Sgt Pepper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with excellent practical info..., 30 July 2007
Ms. Clare S. Bruce (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)

There are many sections in this book, which I believe differentiates it from other wedding publications. For example, I particularly found useful the illustrated complete shooting list, time requirements, cultural variations, group building & the post-production.

I have read a number of wedding photography books recently and this one was far and away the best value for money, the most helpful and inspiring.

I would recommend anyone who wants to become a wedding photographer either professionally or as a keen amateur to buy this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just about ok if you have little experience, 26 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)
I've shot 3 Weddings over quite a long period and hoped this book would help prepare me for the forthcoming Wedding of a friend. I bought the book largely based on others reviews but I found the contents uninspiring and have taken pictures at least of a similar quality and in some cases better. I returned it in the end for a refund. If you have reasonable photographic ability I would advise you to steer clear of this publication and encourage you to look elsewhere. I would like to leave a better review but I also wanted to leave an honest one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on wedding photography....by far, 25 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)
And I should know...i've got about 10 of them! Mark breaks down every element of setting up as a wedding photographer as well as the big day in full. His advice is delivered in a straight forward way, and the tips on workflow are worth the price of the book alone.

Needless to say I am biased. I've been to 2 of Mark's full day seminars over the past few months which are excellent. Having said that, a lot of what he teaches is right in this book.

Buy it today if you are really serious about becoming a wedding photographer

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb guide to newbies and experienced photographers, 10 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)
This book is a regular fountain of knowledge! Having attended weddings as a bag carrier to another exceptional photographer, I thought I was starting to understand the process and the opportunities presented to a photographer quite well.

I didn't expect this book to tell me much more than I was seeing and hearing... WRONG!!! Mark has taken a very complex activity and staged a book that is readable, incredibly informative and all encompassing. I am soon to be out in the world photographing weddings for myself, as scary and as daunting as that is, having Mark's book as a reminder, guide and expert teacher is a great comfort. The only thing better would be having Mark with me on the day ;o)

If you want a book that gives you an opportunity to learn, buy it. If you want a book that will keep you on your toes, buy it. If you want a book as a reference material that you can keep going back to for inspiration, buy it.

If you think you know everything already... write your own book, then when you realise what you don't know, buy it!

In summary, a good read, amazing content, you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-name this the Wedding Photographer's Bible, 18 Aug. 2007
S. R. Wallace "meltingpotpictures" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)
A fabulous and informative book - stunning and inspiring images are accomapnied by straightforward dialogue and valuable tips, clearly organised into a sensible work flow structure.

As both a teacher of photography and a budding portrait / wedding photographer I have found this a first class publication; reassuring in that a number of ideas I have about wedding photography are confirmed and consolidated, and that there are other areas where my work can develop.

This is a first class publication and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone practicing wedding photography - amateurs and professionals alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last..a true book that really does help you make the push to shoot a wedding.., 27 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)
Buying a good book to help you shoot a wedding for money is a serious hit and miss business on Amazon, as more often than not, if you had the chance to browse a book first, then you probably wouldn't buy it!

Not the case with this book. It really does take you step-by-step on almost every aspect of wedding photography, from the right equipment down to timings of events, questions you should be asking the bride/clients down to digital post processing/ workflow advice.

The writer also gives great advice as to how to best utilise light and compose a shot effectively. The book has hundreds of very good photographs throughout.
Peppered throughout the book are valuable tips and pointers, and I really get the feeling that the writer genuinely wants the reader to succeed.

The only reason why I am scoring this book 4 stars instead of it's deserving 5 stars is that it is horribly out of date for the digital shooter..which this book really is aimed at.

In the book, a Canon EOS 5d is considered a pro camera and it's easy to see that at the time of writing, a 5d was serious cutting edge gear.. the writer even entertains the notion of a point and shoot, as was common when digital started out.
If only they could revise this book and try and update it...it would and still in many ways SHOULD be the first book any aspiring wedding or events photographer should buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST - a real book on wedding photography, 10 Dec. 2007
G. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)
If you are interested in REAL wedding photography, you REALLY WILL benefit from this book.
There are so many books out there about wedding photography - but this one has been written by a REAL wedding photographer that knows how to do it in the circumstances that present themselves at REAL Weddings.
Read it, learn from it, put it into practice and you will be a successful - and happy - wedding photographer!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book, but could be much better, 9 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)
I do not like to give low scores to books or works that have alot of effort in them, but to be honest I was slightly disapponted by the book with respect to all of the 5 star remarks.
The book has many pictures and alot of valuable information. It is divided in three parts: before, during and after the wedding (post production). The wedding part is divided in chapters for each part of the wedding and different types of shots during the wedding. What I found missing and consider a fundamental flaw is that none of the pictures show the technical details, like the type of lens used, aperture and speed, was it cropped? and when was the color balanced?, was flash used here?. On one side it is good that there are many picutres as it can be an inspiration, on the other I would have prefered fewer pictures and explanations as to why they were taken one way or the other. Also many of the comments are obvious or usless like: "Look for interesting viewpoints when shooting the choir" (shouldn't a good photographer do this reagrdless of what he is shooting?). Overall I feel that something is missing in the book, like a deeper level that will teach you the inner clockwork of that really GREAT wedding picture.
So this will be a good book for the very beginner, as a general reference book, but I would not suggest this book to a photographer that wants to start shooting weddings, or to anybody who wants to look deeper and learn how to be a wedding artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - I'm impressed!!, 17 Jan. 2010
J. Davies "Jim" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)
I've saw Mark Clegorn's work in some of his many videos on the web and after looking at the Amazon reviews and having some gift cards, I decided I would buy the book. I've bought a few books and have never been really impressed by any so I bought this with a little trepidation.

However once I opened this and read through the first few pages, I knew this was the book I should have bought months ago!! It's crammed with images, detail, and useful information and for anyone starting out in the wedding photography business it's an outstanding resource.

Other reviews state his images are stunning and inspirational. Whilst many are beautiful, I thought many were more the type of images that most photographers should look to take on a wedding day - all very well shot and composed. This actually pleased me more because too many books show the author's arty photoshopped images rather than the range of images they had actually shot throughout a wedding day. And Mark's book does just that. His images are images we can all shoot - he just makes it simpler to understand and provides the detail to enable us to do so. He shows that posing and setting up need not take longer than a few moments.

This book is about everything to do with photographing a wedding! In fact when reading the book, I felt that I was at a wedding! Each section runs through each stage in detail and gives many tips and things to watch out for.

As others have said I didn't think I'd get so much from this book and I was wrong too! A really great book for those starting out or recently started in this business. Even some professionals would get a lot from this book. Now there's no excuse for missing something at a wedding :)

Top class Mark. A highly recommended publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath Of Fresh Air, 3 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide (Hardcover)
Would Mr Cleghorn please go to the top of the class.
At last, a very informative wedding photography book that stands head and shoulders above the rest.
It's very clear, concise and logically sequenced. You just know straight away that it's written by someone who's been there, seen it and done it.
If you're struggling to find a book that will really help to improve your wedding photography skills, look no further, you've just found it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide
Wedding Photography: The Complete Guide by Mark Cleghorn (Hardcover - 15 Jun. 2007)
Used & New from: £2.71