5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reference book
Published on 25 April 2004 by Jayne Elliott

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but quality is not too good in my copy
This is a good bok for those that want to know the use of a particular wood as well as some of the limitations.

As far as it goes, this is great. My book has dodgy printing which makes it a little difficult to see the colour images though it is still possible to see the text. I guess I could have sent it back but this problem only impacts maybe a dozen pages...
Published on 12 Jan 2010 by Mr. R. Burkitt

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reference book, 25 April 2004
Jayne Elliott "Currant Bun" (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my partner, who is an amatuer wood turner. The bookis full of descripitions and photos of many, many, many different woods ,and their uses. It tells you what woods don't glue well - which ones areuse for particle board, where the tree grows, what the "natives" call it,how big the tree is, how it is seasoned, how it is cut etc etc etc. It'sreally very nice for us "ordinary" folk too - and if you are aninformation addict it is superb. (I would have said "trivia" addict - buttrivia this is not!) This book was bought as a late present as I had towait for it to be published - but wait was well worth it. Nothing in thebook disappointed me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wood Bible!, 26 Mar 2009
This review is from: Wood: Identification and Use (Hardcover)
I must admit I was a bit swayed to buy this book by the two 5* reviews it got! I'm really glad I did buy it!! If you're into wood in anyway this is a fantastic reference book! It's got some really good sections all about wood, how it grows and it's structure etc plus it has a seperate index of 'Common' names so you dont have to be an expert in latin!
Each page contains a picture of the wood, a description, it's properties, seasoning, durabilty and typical uses. Along with a drawing of the tree, its leaves and flower/fruit/seed. other common names and where it grows. lt also has an imediate identification symbol if it is a hard or softwood. It's amazing how often I pick up and refer to this book. I highly recommend this book for anyone who works with wood or who is interested in woods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for getting to know wood, 8 Jan 2009
This review is from: Wood: Identification and Use (Hardcover)
My partner is a craftsman, always sculpting something wonderful with his hand, be it made from metal, glass, plastic, wood whatever. However I always find his wood to be the best piece. Marvelously crafted to painstaking detail, he really knows how to put a smile on my face. He is always interested in getting to know the raw materials so he can use them to their best - and this book really gives him a good insight on the variety of wood available, and how best to use it. He cetainly knows how to use his wood, I can tell you. I definitely recommend it. So go on, give your man Wood : Identification and Use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wood by Terry Potter, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Wood: Identification and Use (Hardcover)
This is a beautifully produced book, the cover illustration alone is enough to make you buy it. The content is clearly set out, the information erudite without being obscure, giving details about the uses , and origins of every wood. and the additional information about the possible side effects of working with a particular wood is very useful. The Wood turner for whom I bought this book was thrilled with it. My husband whos interest is in the trees and their uses rather than a practicle application was so impressed with this book that I have had to buy him a copy too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wood: Identification and Use (Hardcover)
Great book, extremely informative and detailed. As a maker, it's a great help to have in the workshop for clients to refer to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wood identifcation and use, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Wood: Identification and Use (Hardcover)
A very good book for wood workers to have, clear illustrations and descriptions of the various woods. It is nice to know what you are working with

5.0 out of 5 stars wood, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Wood: Identification and Use (Hardcover)
. I recommend anyone working with wood to read this book before, during and using any sort of wood. It is vital that you know your woods before you start, and this book gives you all the information you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Wood: Identification and Use (Hardcover)
Great to be able to cross reference the various types of wood found washed up on our local beaches. Informative with great pictures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful if you Want to Know about Wood, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Wood: Identification and Use (Hardcover)
This book is about wood. On each page is a different type of wood. If you want to learn about wood and its different types, this is the book for you... because it's about wood.

N.B. Unfortunately hints on *getting* wood are found in another type of book entirely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Wood: Identification and Use (Hardcover)
Simply excellent. East to read easy to understand, plain simple just what I needed to guide me through the vast array of woods available.

Wood: Identification and Use
Wood: Identification and Use by Terry Porter (Hardcover - 12 Oct 2006)
24.99