5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 6 Feb 2007
This review is from: Couture Knits by Jean Moss (Hardcover)
I am SO pleased with this book. I rarely have time to write reviews but am blown off by this book. It's probably the best knitting book I've bought in quite a while. And I have a LOT of them! I would like to make the majority of items here. All very pretty, stylish and flattering. None of the old style long baggy jumpers with tight rib at the bottom. Really lovely.

The sweaters are graded and there's everything from stuff for the beginner all the way up. She gives suggestions on how to give each item a different look too. There are a few accessories including a pretty lacy scarf and shawl, and a cloche and gloves. Just enough. They're all pretty special. Tops that can be worn out at night - camis and longsleeved - as well as daywear. Really cute cardis and jackets.

AND there's a really great techniques section at the book. This is amazing. For someone who has just gotten into lace knitting, she includes drawings of how to do yarnovers in between different combis of stitches and at ends of a row- something that has baffled me for a while. Short rows, everything. I hate having to dig up different books when come to a technique I'm not sure of. thank you!

Yarns used tend to be rowan, jaeger, and aretesano alpaca. And she is not a fan of the huge needle yarn. Luckily i am so over that phase now... they're so uncomfortable. It has to be a really cute pattern to attract me to anything over 8mm max. Most of these patterns run between 3mm and 4mm needles.

She uses colourwork and beadwork but not in huge quantities - just enough to give style. I'm not a fan of either, I tend to prefer texture, whether lacey or cabley - which she has lots of too - but I really like these.

Caveat for the larger ladies - only a couple of items go over a 40inch bust. That said, I'm sure you could adapt some of them.

I HIGHLY recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars a treat in store for knitters, 24 Aug 2007
This review is from: Couture Knits by Jean Moss (Hardcover)
Once again Jean Moss has produced a book full of delightful designs, with something for everyone - young and old, experienced knitters or beginners - with clear instructions and photographs.From lacy shawls to sexy and very feminine tops to stylish cardigans, it is hard to know where to begin. As a more mature woman, I will probably start with one of the lovely cardigans - can't wait!

Couture Knits by Jean Moss
Couture Knits by Jean Moss by Jean Moss (Hardcover - Oct 2006)
17.99