5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterclass Indeed!
I bought the book initially because after a few years of using a small digital camera I felt ready to move up to a D-SLR and perhaps get a little more seriously into photography as a hobby.
Published on 11 Aug 2004 by smartin586

2.0 out of 5 stars Digital SLR masterclass -> for beginners
A statement from the book says it all: "Pro tip: To select the fastest possible shutter speed, simply select the minimum aperture that your lens allows ...". This book is very very basic. It does not cover much useful photography information, even for the very beginner. If you are into using computers already, I doubt that you will benefit significantly from the...
Published on 31 Oct 2004 by Troels Emil Kolding

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterclass Indeed!, 11 Aug 2004
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
I was frustrated at the sheer number of books available that cover digital photography. I'd bought a few previously, and although not disappointed with any of them I was disatisfied that they really didn't tell me exactly what I should be doing with my camera to get the best out of it or how to approach certain shots.
I had read some of Andy's reviews on the Warehouse Express website and thought them both interesting and informative. I thought that this might be what I was looking for - simple effective instructions without all the unnecessary froth.
Andy's book does exactly that for you. It tells you precisely how to set up your camera to take certain shots and does it in basic language. Aperture this, shutter speed that, etc. He gives you the bottom line. He also shares with you all the professional tips that he has learnt the hard way - so that you don't have to.
If you, like me, are a hobby photographer and either have, or are considering getting into, digital photography then this book will genuinely help you take better photographs more often. It's a lovely book to read, well written and beautifully illustrated.
I thoroughly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinking of going Digital or New to Digital?, 27 May 2004
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
I just completed reading this book for a second time. Here is who I think should read this book:
1) New D-SLR owners
2) Anyone thinking of moving to digital from 35mm SLR's
3) Amateur D-SLR owners
I rate myself as an armature photographer. I do it for fun, but also to pleasure of getting that good shot now and then. I've been using 35mm film SLR for some time now and when the digital SLR's dropped in price I thought about getting into the world of Digital SLR's.
BUT this opens a new can of worms... no film, how will the quality compare, what software do I need etc etc.
Andy is a professional photographer. He shares his personal experiences AND includes some GREAT pictures of wildlife he took. (At this price the quality of the pictures on glossy paper makes this book 1st class even if you only buy it for some great shots).
Andy gives you the low-down on digital vs. film. For this reason I recommend that any 35mm SLR user thinking of moving BUT not yet sure why read this book 1st. He also gives really good tips for using your D-SLR.
Most importantly with digital is your post picture taking workflow. To me this was really handy and I used this as a template to start my own digital workflow process.
Another thing that some authors tend to do is write about "products" and never tell you what they actually use, Andy actually tells you what software & hardware he uses.
I can probably write loads more about the book but I believe this book should part of your collection if you fall into the top 3 categories! Excellent quality (glossy) pages with great pictures all included makes this a bargain book! A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 24 Jun 2004
N. Bunton (Essex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
I have had a 35mm SLR for some years now but have only used it on special occasions and Motor Sport. I recently purchased the Canon 300D DSLR and wanted to do some research into digital photography. I got this book and have read it within a week and can say it was a very enjoyable read and I have certainly gained confidence out of the book. Andy talks through the transition from film camera to digital and shows a lot of examples of his work, some even using compact digital cameras that are excellent quality. The book is full of great tips along the way, which should pay dividend in the future, it has just given me a great insight to how the professionals think and work.
Andy takes you through an introduction to digital cameras right through to archiving your images and printing the results including some helpful digital darkroom examples and information.
I am looking forward to my next outing with the camera and the knowledge I have gained from this book and see if I can improve my results and tryout some of the ideas I have picked up from this book.
If you have bought a DSLR camera I recommend you read this book it's great value and I am sure you will get a lot out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Digital SLR users, 6 May 2004
P. Haygarth (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
I've been a 35mm photographer for about 25 years and made the leap to digital about 6 months ago. I consider myself as an experienced photographer and fairly computer literate and have been managing fine with the conversion to digital but decided to buy this book to fill any gaps in my knowledge.
The book is very well written in a language to suit normal people with Andy Rouse's sense of humour springing up which makes the reading easier. It covers all the topics that you may need including whether to use JPEG or RAW, how to set up your digital SLR for the best results, managing the camera in the field, image storage and the digital darkroom. Although it is a reference book it is a book that you will want to read from cover to cover and it's packed with fantastic wildlife shots. It has been invaluable to me and I'd recommend that anyone who owns a digital SLR what ever their skill level, should buy and read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but don't buy them both!, 26 April 2005
Puffin Man "Barryt" (ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
Andy Rouse supplies superb, comprehensive and easy to understand advice for new and existing DSLR users. There is little in the Masterclass that isn't useful. My only problem is that I bought his DSLR Handbook at the same time, little knowing that they are, in effect, both the same book. The Handbook is a softback version, Masterclass is hardback with larger images and text font. You really don't need both as they have the same content - go for the Masterclass as it is a bit easier on the eyes and displays Andy's images to better effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read and a great reference, 29 Jan 2005
Dave Knapton (Durham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
Just wanted to pass on what a great book Andy has produced. I have been a digital photographer for a number of years but having recently bought a DSLR, thought this book would be useful... I wasn't disappointed.
Andy has explained right from the basics everything I need to know. He has built upon my limited existing knowledge, from basics and reconfirmed some things I already knew. Taught me some new things and really opened my eyes to a whole load of functions I would have otherwise overlooked.
There is a really good section on the digital darkroom which lets the reader see how a true profesional gets down to the business of photogrpahy long after the images have been captured back in the office.
I thoroughly enjoyed the read and have since been dipping back into most of the sections as I start getting to grips with this new level of photography.
ANdy's wildlife images will inspire you throughout the book but is definately a book for a DSLR photogapher involved in any are of photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars It all makes perfect sense now......!, 23 Nov 2005
S. P. Wall "stevepwall" (Cydonia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
I have been a big fan of Andy rouse for a few years now ever since a I spent a day at moreton-in-the-marsh photographing birds of prey with him...back then i was a film user (no digital SLR's were available that were worth mentioning at the time...) and had been for nearly 20 years...but approx 5 years ago i switched to digital, and although the principles of photography were the same, there were a lot of differnces, some of which till very recently i had be unable to overcome...a week ago i ordered from this very page the DSLR Masterclass book, the reviews on this page prompted me to look at this as a possible answer to my prayer..i had a huge problem with exposure and the use of histograms as an aid to exposures, i could never understand the gobbldygook that was churned out in magazines and websites...then i turned to the section in this book, and, withing literaly 5 minutes i had got it!!! amazing!! I was over the moon, Andy made it sound so easy...
Then there was JPEGS and RAW's (Not going to explain it to those of you who don't know what i,m on about....buy the book!!!), I have always shot JPEGS...until now...not any more, RAW Files are amazing, initial comparisons with JPEGS appear the same, but the refinements you can carry in the with RAW files in the "Darkroom", in comparison with JPEGS are astounding....and i did not know this!!!....its always been there yes, but i don't do computor speak, i wanted it plain and simple....and this book did just that...there are many other sections i could harp on about, but won't....those two sections alone have opened my eyes up to more that i could have done alone....so buy the book, read it, then go take some photos!!! you won't be disappointed with what you will achieve....cheers Andy....your a star...!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revelation, 22 July 2005
Mr. M. F. Allen "Cheswithphotos" (Hayes, Middlesex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
I have been taking photographs since the 50's and a year ago decided to "go digital". An initial period with an Olympus led to the purchase of a Nikon D70S and the need for more in depth knowledge. I have now read this book from cover to cover and discovered many facets of a DSLR that was not clear from the camera's handbook together with the best way to use it and a very good guide to the processing work that would be required for the best results. Following the advice given including the use of histograms, I attended the Air Tattoo at Fairford a few days ago and came back with a load of excellent shots. This was as a result of implementing the advice in the book. My advice, if you have a DSLR and want to improve, buy this book. It is really the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
This is a superb book for those who are just taking up digital photography. It answered a lot of my questions regarding white balance, bracketing etc. This author is unquestionably an expect in wildlife photography, I have never seen wildlife photographs as good as these before. However, Andy seems to have completely muddied the waters with his definitions of RAW and TIFF files. On one particular page he directly refers to a RAW file as being a TIFF, which is just not the case; they are very different files. Apart from this point this it is a very interesting read and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant & very informative, 11 Oct 2004
Christine Gerdsmann (Ashford, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) (Hardcover)
I have just bought a Canon 300D, my first digital slr, and received the book just at the right time. Andy explains the benefits and details very well and in easy words. It just took me a day to read, I couldn't put it down. If you have just converted to digital photography or just bought your first digital slr (like me), this is a book you cannot miss. A++++

Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series)
Digital SLR Masterclass (Handbook Series) by Andy Rouse (Hardcover - 1 April 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01