5.0 out of 5 stars Learn carved lettering with Chris Pye, 30 Aug 2003
Cdr K. J. Davidson "Cdr Kit Davidson RN" (Llanfyllin, Powys United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lettercarving in Wood: A Practical Course (Paperback)
Although I am an experienced woodworker, I always steered clear of carved lettering. But this book gives one the impetus to take the subject by the horns. Read Chris Pye's careful analysis of the incised roman letter and start to realise that you can do it too! This book fills you with enthusiasm and drives you out to buy the supplied list of carving tools you need to emulate the lettering in the book. It is also a valuable reference for continual use. Very soon you are incising your first trench and under Chris Pye's excellent guidance you are quickly onto curved and compass-struck letters.
Of course you will make mistakes. If you are impetuous like me, you might run before you can walk but Chris Pye will have none of this. Go back and read again his meticulous and thorough instruction. He doesn't abandon you!
Within the same month that I bought this book, I had copied one of the included projects and developed sufficient confidence to carve script on a completed item of furniture. My first house-name customer quickly followed.
If I had one criticism, it is that the book takes no account of the versatility of computors for layout, kerning and the variety of available fonts. The book is still in the land of Letraset, freehand and tracing paper. But a new edition of the book is due for publication this year. I am sure that Chris Pye will have attended to this minor point in his rewrite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lettercarving, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: Lettercarving in Wood: A Practical Course (Paperback)
Does what it says on the tin. If you intend to do lettercarving, and don't have an experienced tutor to help, this book will give you the pointers you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lettercarving in Wood: A Practical Course (Paperback)
Just arrived today and I have skimmed through the whole book.
I read a few chapters and it is very straightforward - Can't wait to get started.
Once iIsharpen my tools till I can't see the edge.
See- I've learned something already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wood letter carvers bible, 16 May 2014
D. Downie "UK Dave" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lettercarving in Wood: A Practical Course (Paperback)
This is the only book i require for wood letter carving, clear and easy to follow.
A book well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm ready to have a go now, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lettercarving in Wood: A Practical Course (Paperback)
I have spent hours reading my book and it's very easy to follow and covers everything I think I might need to have a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Someone else, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Lettercarving in Wood: A Practical Course (Paperback)
I ordered this for someone else as they didn't have the internet and they wanted this along with a couple of books and they've been very happy with the items

Lettercarving in Wood: A Practical Course
Lettercarving in Wood: A Practical Course by Chris Pye (Paperback - 3 Jan 1998)