on 6 August 2011
I have recently purchased a doll house kit to build and fill with mainly home-made furniture. I found this book very useful as its contents include everything you need to know about a dolls house. From the basic building of the house itself to making intricate, detailed scale pieces of furniture. It also gives practical, easy to understand advice on paint/exterior and interior finishes. A great book for the beginner and at an excellent price.
on 27 July 2001
I found this book a goldmine of information from the basics of choosing a style or period of house and what type, depending on costs. It has helped enormously in the decision of which house to choose. There is lots of advice and projects from decorating to making items. The author has managed to cover a vast amout of items including shops and childrens houses as well as the miniaturists period homes. Excelllent bibliography with lots of reference areas to follow up. Overall it is very readable and well illustrated and an ideal book to dip into for both the begginer as well as the more experienced miniaturist.
0Comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2012
As a newcomer to miniaturism, I found this book to be an excellent introduction to the practicalities involved in renovating and decorating my own miniature house.

This is the book to get BEFORE you start on your first house.

This book is an excellent resource that I will be returning to time and again throughout my project and I have particularly bookmarked the "Twenty Steps to Basic Decoration" chapter.

Rather than prescribing her own personal preferences, the author discusses and instructs us upon the various options available in every respect - whether it be acquiring a house, choosing decor, decorating, etc. Collectors' Houses, Shops and Children's doll houses are all covered.

Jean Nisbett assumes that you are a complete novice and guides you to create a dolls house to treasure.
on 5 January 2010
I bought this book as a Christmas present for a chap of 83 who has just taken to building doll's houses and he found it most informative.
on 15 August 2010
If you are into Doll's houses as a hobby already or thinking about it this is an excellant book to get you started or keep you going, clearly written and well worth having.
on 14 January 2011
A brilliant informative book perfect for the beginner in this hobby, lots of good ideas. Can't wait to start refurbishing my dolls house.
on 14 February 2013
I Know this is a beginners guide but I was expecting a lot more information and ideas for things I could make for my dolls house. I would have thought soft furnishings essential to a beginners guide but , no, apparently not ;-(
on 6 January 2013
My wife is really impressed with the detail provided within the book and especially the opportunity to make items herself (shown in easy to follow steps).

I checked other books covering this subject, but this one in particular met my wife's needs
on 4 December 2012
This is THE most fantastic book for someone about to erect and furnish their first dolls house. Full of great and useful ideas.
on 28 November 2012
Great book for some one who is just starting on their first dolls house the book has lots of information.