5.0 out of 5 stars The 2nd edition
Published 11 months ago by R. E. Iveson

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok but not what I expected
It is praised as one of the best books about Dean Martin and it was an easy read but I feel, I could have learned so much more, but I didn't. The last 10 years of his life, where he lost his son, is a little chapter of about 20 pages.
I feel, I will have to get a second biography just to learn more about his wives, Jerry Lewis and the Clan.
But for a quick...
Published on 3 Oct 2005 by Tanj

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok but not what I expected, 3 Oct 2005
But for a quick overview it's recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Superficial at best!, 15 Jan 2007
Peter Devaney "FifeFlyer" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Freedlands biography is a handsomely mounted tome, ticking all the correct boxes regarding the life and times of Dean Martin, it covers all the relevant areas, childhood, discovery and stardom, then superstardom and eventual decline, though it is such a dry depiction that this reader was left struggling to maintain interest,

To be fair there is nothing particularily wrong with this book it is simply that it comes across a selection of frequently recounted anecdotes and reminiscences that any self respecting Dino fan will have heard countless times before, that said, for anyone wishing a general overview of the man's life and times it is of value, however for anyone wanting to get below the surface then, in this readers opinion, head for Tosches Dino Bio instead, far superior and far more comprehensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 2nd edition, 30 Sep 2013
R. E. Iveson "BookloverRon" (Wirral) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dean Martin: King of the Road (Hardcover)
This is a reissue of a 1983 book entitled Dino. Dino was the first major biography to be written solely about Dean, the only one before that was Everybody Loves Somebody by Arthur Marx, which more more of an Homage to the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis machine. I remember getting Dino and lapping it up in the 1980's as at that time there wasn't much of anything about Dino around. This edition has a few more anecdotes which probably couldn't be used in the first edition because nearly everyone who was mentioned was still alive at the time, and one in particular stands out as a criticism of Dean for his part in Bells are Ringing, it's notably absent from the first edition. It is well produced, bound and presented and stands as a good fast read of Dean's life and career. I like it as straightforward overview but for more in depth discussion and interpretation of events you'd need to read more widely. I don't think the definitive biography has yet been written, but having read them all, this is as good a place to start as any in my opinion

Dean Martin: King of the Road
Dean Martin: King of the Road by Michael Freedland (Hardcover - 21 Oct 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01