5.0 out of 5 stars A classic - every cricketer should give one to a friend
Published on 11 Jan. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Created more questions than answers
I am Scottish and have not been brought up and educated in the rules of cricket. I bought this for my wife who wanted to know more about the rules and terms of cricket. A bad mistake.. The book starts from a view that certain basics are known and understood, (wrong) hence it fails at the first post in describing any mysteries of cricket. The book sums itself up in...
Published 20 months ago by Salty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic - every cricketer should give one to a friend, 11 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: What Is a Googly? (Paperback)
I heard Jonathan Agnew give this book a rave review on Test Match Special last year, but took a while to get round to buying it. I'm very glad I did. This book is a classic - if like me you know a cricket widow or an American who is baffled by the game this is the perfect introduction. It's funny, gentle and informative at the same time. Absolutely worth every one of the five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars If its good enough for Christopher Martin-Jenknins......!, 20 July 2001
In the lunch interval at the first England-Australia Test of 2001, Christopher Martin-Jenkins was asked to suggest a number of books which could explain the rules and placings in the field. He replied "the best book I have ever read for this is 'What's a Googly?' I am ashamed to say I can't remember the author!" Blowers seconded!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 16 Feb. 2006
This review is from: What Is A Googly?: The Mysteries Of Cricket Explained (Paperback)
I am a newcomer to cricket and found myself getting occasionally bewildered at the television coverage so bought this book. Fantastic stuff, last time I read a book this many times it was Allen Carr's quit smoking book!
Can now hold a cricket conversation in the pub with strangers without feeling like a bluffer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly punchy, 8 Aug. 2006
I'm no 'Johnny Come Lately' and knew enough to enjoy the game but was sometimes perplexed by some of the phrases used by the cake-munching TMS crowd. This short, light-hearted book blew the cobwebs away and detailed almost everything one needs to know to appreciate the subtleties of cricket. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is a Googly?: The Mysteries of Cricket Explained, 26 Aug. 2012
L. Jones (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
'It does what it says on the tin'. Very readable and informative and it has made me laugh out loud several times. I'm a cricket fan but I would recommend it for unwilling spouses, mums or even dads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, 9 Feb. 2010
This review is from: What Is a Googly? (Paperback)
Recommended this book by friend as I was starting to get interested in cricket. Even though it is now old and the examples of players, etc. are therefore not current, this book puts over the concepts really well and in a lighthearted fashion. Definitely worth having if you want to find out not just googlies but also about just why anyone would stand at silly mid off!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant introduction to the often mysterious world of cricket, 18 July 2010
This book is a brilliant introduction to the *real* beautful game, cricket. Rob Eastway goes a long way towards debunking some of the myths surrounding the game (i.e.-the scoring system!).

I also bought this book because it was apparently recommended by Jonthan Agnew (of Test Match Special fame) as a good introductory book on cricket, i'm sold!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can now talk cricket with my partner, 15 April 2013
I often re read this book, it is humorous and I am always finding something in it I missed. I now love the game of cricket which was a must when I got together with someone who is absolutely mad about cricket. I manage to impress sometimes too. But best of all, I can have an intelligent and playful conversation with him and his mates.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is a Googly? The Mysteries of Cricket Explained, 25 Aug. 2013
Everything you want to know about the technique of cricket is explained lucidly and in a humorous and witty way. There is also incidental information about its history and the fascination and nostalgia surrounding it is conveyed convincingly. There are some charming anecdotes and the book leads you to want to know more about the game and its great cricketers past and present.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 22 Sept. 2011
I have followed cricket for years, but never fully understood rules and positions. This book explains things in a very understandable way. I read this all the way through, but you could also pick it up just to review certain points.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

What Is A Googly?: The Mysteries Of Cricket Explained
What Is A Googly?: The Mysteries Of Cricket Explained by Rob Eastaway (Paperback - 1 April 2010)