4.0 out of 5 stars A good book for those with a basic scientific background.
Published on 10 Dec 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to my expectations, it needs re-editing.
Published on 20 Oct 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book for those with a basic scientific background., 10 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Private Life of Sharks: The Truth Behind the Myth (Hardcover)
I am studying marine biology and found this book invaluble during the elasmobranch section of the course. It's straight forward well referenced information was easily read and understood. The book gives brief descriptions of the different shark groups with basic diagrams of body shape. I would recommend this book to people as an introduction to shark biology or as a text for acquiring references for study.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to my expectations, it needs re-editing., 20 Oct 1999
By A Customer
Like many people I find sharks fascinating, like many divers I want to be able to identify them and like many biologists I want to find out more about their remarkable lives. This book sadly left me unsatisfied. It is VERY badly illustrated, with pictures consisting of nothing more than black blobs. It desperately needs re-editing to remove duplication, which seems to run throughout the book. The author has written many books and I was left with the feeling that it was rushed and that little thought was given to making it interesting. It read like a series of extracts from scientific papers rather than a stand alone book on sharks for the interested layperson. Sharks are remarkable, they deserve a better press. 'The Private Life of Sharks' isn't it.

Private Life of Sharks: The Truth Behind the Myth
Private Life of Sharks: The Truth Behind the Myth by Michael Bright (Hardcover - 17 May 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01