on 4 January 2013
I bought this and book 1 for my husband who has played Double Bass for some years but never addressed himself to theory. I worked through the entire set myself some years ago and I think they are very good. They give a good grounding in theory and enough practice in the exercises. However,! I had a teacher to explain things to me. My husband doesn't and wanted to know 'where the answers were!' I suggest that if you intend to use these books without the help of a teacher, you should also invest in The AB Guide to Music Theory books 1 & 2.
on 23 August 2015
Covers everything needed for the ABRSM Grade 2 Music Theory exam. The workbook aspect is particularly useful as it allows you to put your skills into practice as you learn from the sections of the book.
If I could improve one thing, it would be to include questions to test you on the performance directions as this is the only section not catered for in this way within the book.
on 20 July 2012
I bought books one-three in hope to improve my knowledge of theory only to find that I had no way of knowing if it's correct. I would have to buy the answer book. What a con. I know it doesn't say that it includes answers but it's something you come to expect from a workbook - that you can check if you're doing the work right. It does include explanations to help you with each section but, without my guitar teacher to ask as I was completing them during the holidays, I found them very brief so I suggest buying the AB theory guide so you actually understand what you're doing.
on 28 October 2015
These books have helped me come on in keaps and bounds with my music theory. They are very eAsy to understand. I have had some theory books thT have been very complicated to understand. This is easy and ro the point. Would definately recommend buying these books if you need help with music theory. It doesnt matter what instrument you play as this is just generalised for everyone.
on 22 May 2013
Very pleased with these books, our daughter who is 14 is working through these as homework after her singing lessons and then goes over the answers with her teacher at her next lesson. They have greatly improved her knowledge of music theory and we are very pleased. Not sure how effective they would be if one was using them for self learning at home without formal lessons.
on 11 August 2015
An excellent publication, from which it is easy to teach in small or large bites according to the capability of one's pupil.The format of Eric Taylor is the same through grades 1-5 and this makes the books more comfortable to create a steady learning curve. Highly recommended.
on 21 February 2013
This book is still as popular as ever.
Great it covers just the grade it says.
Not immediately obvious it doesn't come with answers but luckily I have ordered them separately.
Very happy with price and super quick delivery. Thank you
on 27 March 2013
Easy to use, excellent book that I would highly recommend. My daughters Music Teacher asked me to get this for my daughters grade 5 singing exam and the exercises in it are very good.
on 6 December 2013
Very well structured course which encourages finding and working out. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to develop their knowledge and understanding of music.
on 27 October 2015
these are a great buy if you are new to music. I started with the first and it has helped me to learn so much. They are great for beginners but start with book 1