Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 April 2012
The C.T.S. Daily Missal has certainly been a labour of love and a successful one. The previous reviewers will be glad to know that a zipped case will be available from C.T.S. at the end of April to solve some problems of durability. The Missal is well set out with the Sunday Masses at the beginning of the book, the Mass ordinary in the middle, edged in red, and the weekday propers in the second half of the book with the sanctoral cycle. To complete this are various devotions.

It is, however, rather heavy! I agree with the first reviewer about the Prefaces in the middle, rather than at the end, of the ordinary of the Mass but as it is the same for the Altar Missal pity the celebrant!

Nevertheless, this is a worthy edition for the new translation of the Mass and I too appreciate the Latin propers for comparison with the translation (which is an accurate one although the more formal and theological language may take some getting used to). At last we have Catholic theology in a nutshell once more.
on 12 April 2012
This book is a massive tome, and it is almost too heavy to take to Mass. I am looking forward to getting the leather cover I have ordered for it so that it is easier to hold.
But that is probably the only downside of this publication.
It is truly a daily Missal, as it covers every day of the year.it has an easy to follow index. It has strong colourful marker ribbons which are well spaced in the book. It has prayers before Mass which truly prepare one, including examination of conscience as for the sacrament of reconciliation, and which could be used then as well.
It is full of information and worth studying at leisure
If one is a reader one can prepare for the occasion at home.
It will be a joy for those who have had an old fashioned Catholic education pre Vatican Two as a reminder of how things used to be, and for those post VaticanTwo who were not sure what was going on., who will learn everything they had not.
I thoroughly recommend getting this Missal, even if it is used at home mainly to prepare for Mass, and use in one's old age when one cannot get to Mass, or is unable for any reason to be there. One can keep in touch daily with all the church's liturgy.
on 12 May 2012
As has been mentioned in other reviews, this is one bulky tome. However, you can't shrink-fit that much text into anything smaller. If you want something less cumbersome, your only alternative is the two volume Collins Sunday and Weekday Missals, of which the latter is two-thirds the size of this, so not small either. Personally, I like having the Latin alongside for the collects and so on, having long been frustrated by the paraphrastic translation used before this edition was published. I don't think an English-only publication would be appreciably smaller. My only real criticism of the book is the layout, in as much as it would have provided for more even wear on the binding if the weekdays had been put in between the Sundays rather than as an afterthought, as in my American Daily Roman Missal. Then the antiphons, collects and so on would have been a few pages away during the week rather than half a book away, with the order of Mass still in the middle of it all. Overall, though, a good production, and so nice to have an adequate supply of ribbon markers - Bible publishers take note!
on 19 March 2012
The Catholic Truth Society took on a huge task providing all the books for the new translation of the Mass. Now they have released the Daily Missal which gives the texts and readings for every day of the year. It is very well designed and produced and an excellent resource for Catholics. However, it is quite a bulky tome and not easy at all to carry about. And because of this, I wonder about its durability. Former versions of a people's Missal would last a lifetime - securely bound and with very thin, fine paper. The CTS version may crack under strain - but only time will tell.
44 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2012
Note that this missal contains readings, collects, etc for both Sundays AND weekdays. It's expensive, and the dual-language collects and devotions make it heftier than it needs to be, but given that it is the only missal you will need it's worth it. It is a rather beautiful production, with clear text, a good layout, and strong binding.
on 10 June 2012
I highly recommend this new Daily Missal it has absolutely everything you need in one book which is great and I love the fact that it has the Latin translation too. I would not be without it and I love the fact that I don't have to think about carrying 2 missals around anymore!
on 22 May 2012
Many of our Parishioners attend a daily service and really appeciated having the daily readings to hand. This Missal represented exceptional value and although rather bulky was welcomed as an aid to daily devotion. Again the service from Amazon was first class.
on 23 April 2012
I bought this for my mum to replace her current, but out of date, Missal. However, due to supply & demand issues beyound Amazons control I had to wait a while until it was available. Anyway I managed to purchase and receive in double quick time once it was available and presented it to my mother on Easter Sunday as an alternative non-chocolate gift and she loves it. Job done!
on 6 October 2012
This is a beautifully-presented book, containing all the daily lectionary readings, PLUS the Sunday readings (this fact is not mentioned in the product description). However, if you like taking your missal to Mass on Sundays, I suggest you do as I do, and keep this one at home (it is great to leave open on the family altar) and then take a Sunday Missal to church.

What I like about this particular edition is that it has the LATIN on the left and English on the right, for the prayers and Order of Mass sections. I enjoy reading the Latin while the priest prays, but that is just me!

Before you spend lots of money on a new Missal, however, remember that the READINGS did not change with the new order of Mass, only the English Mass itself. So it is perfectly ok to use an OLD Missal, if you want it just for the daily readings. Right now, there seem to be a lot of missals in charity shops as people upgrade to the new one, although I must say I've not seen a DAILY missal in a charity shop yet, but they are bound to be there.

The PRICE was very reasonable for the copy I bought from Amazon, although I WAS somewhat disappointed that the title page and the first few pages arrived CREASED! (It was shrink-wrapped by creased-up anyway!) I nearly sent it back, but coudln't be bothered, and since the missal is open most of the time, it doesn't really matter.. except that it would have been nice for it to arrive in perfect conditon.

Note: The text is the "Jerusalem Bible" as used in England and Wales. The USA uses the "New American Bible" version, so don't get it for USA. England and Wales may be changing to a newer Biblical text within the next 5 years, and when that happens, then this new edition will certainly become out of date overnight. Having said that, I bought both the CTS Sunday Missal and then later the "Daily Missal". Had I bought the "Daily Missal" first, I doubt if I would have bought the Sunday one, but.. I am glad that I did; after the bible, they are both superbe books!

This CTS edition is FAR nicer than the more widely seen 'CBC Distributors' edition, although the Mass is not as easy to follow in this CTS edition. Also, it has some beautiful full color plates (illustrations) and the Mass section has red margins, so is easy to spot. Plus 6 bookmark ribbons, (the Sunday edition has two) and a beautiful blue board binding. Especially if you are a lector, and read during the week, this is the edition for you! (CTS also publish a down-sized Church Missal, with the exact layout as the one in Churhces, however last time I checked it was not avalaible through Amazon, and it is abotu 3X more expensive than this edition.) The choice is yours! May it help us all during this "Year of Faith" 2012/13. God bless you!
on 27 July 2012
Ordered CTS Daily Missal on a Monday ( Free Delivery )and received on Wednesday two days later. Fantastic service.
The Missal is well made and well thought out. Quality paper and binding with six well stitched ribbons.
The type is clear and easliy read
Content is well laid out. Although being a Daily Missal incorporating the Sundays as well makes this book rather large but this is unavoidable. Even so it is easy to use and a pleasure to read due to the over all quality feel of the book.

Great item and would highly recommend to anyone who wishes to participate in the Mass more deeply.
It is ideal for anyone who is a Reader at Mass.
Overall I am delighted with my purchase and Amazon is unbeatable for price.

Jamses C.