4.0 out of 5 stars Child of our Time: A Young Girl's flight from the Holocaust, 9 Aug. 2003
Mrs. D. M. Box (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Child of Our Time: A Young Girl's Flight from the Holocaust (Hardcover)
This is not a totally unbiased review. Ruth and I began our teaching careers on the same day over fifty years ago and we have remained friends ever since. Consequently I had slowly come to know a little of her story, but only a little of the anguish she suffered, until I read this book.
This book is a deeply moving story of a young Jewish girl living in Germany in a loving family and what eventually happens to that family and the families of her fellow refugees.
It gives an insight to the trauma of these youngsters, not only of the suffering of their families at the hands of the Germans, but their struggle to live in a 'friendly' Britain.
There have been many 'reminicent' biographies of people recalling their early years, but this one is so important because of its historical content. I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, 29 Jan. 2013
This book is about a time, not so long ago, that should never be forgotten for its awfulness. I was a bit apprehensive about reading it, as it is partly about a village where, after the war, I have spent many happy holidays with relatives. I was worried that I might read something bad about the people I hold dear. This book is most informative and I found it difficult to put down. It is in part very upsetting because of the diabolical treatment of Ruth David's family by the Nazis, but especially also because of the abusive behaviour by two Austrian women in charge of the hostel in the Lake District (to which Ruth and other refugee children were sent for care and safety) who were incapable of showing frightened, parentless children any love or kindness. There are, however, also some heart-warming parts. This book is a "must read" and I will pass it on to my children and grandchildren for reading and safe-keeping.

4.0 out of 5 stars child of our time, 30 Dec. 2013
I would put this book in one of the best I have read category. I would recommend it to the youth of today to read as a historical fact.

Child of Our Time: A Young Girl's Flight from the Holocaust
Child of Our Time: A Young Girl's Flight from the Holocaust by Ruth David (Hardcover - 25 July 2003)