4.0 out of 5 stars The bits Peter missed out - but written with affection.
If you enjoyed Peter Kay's The Sound of Laughter, chuckled througout but felt you needed to know a little more, this is a must-read. Johnny Dee writes with full respect for his subject, but fills in the gaps that help you to understand the influences that formed one of the greatest comedy talents Britain has ever seen.
Dee's research was thorough, and there appear to...
Published on 30 July 2007 by A. I. McCulloch

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Time
Published on 17 July 2006 by Very Disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars The bits Peter missed out - but written with affection., 30 July 2007
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Dee's research was thorough, and there appear to be very few of the annoying little errors that often populate biographies. My 2007 version refers to Peter's appearance in The Producers, so it's bang up to date too.
There are good quality photographs throughout, and pleasingly, none are of the paparazzi "Peter caught in an unguarded moment outside Asda" style.
There's an amusing appendix- The Little Book of Mis-Kay-lany - with twenty pages of Peter-related lists, such as "Song Lyrics in Dialogue" and "Peter Kay's Favourite Theme Tunes". Don't buy this if you are the type that likes shameful revelations - there are none. This book is a celebration, not a dirt-digging exercise. Don't buy this instead of The Sound of Laughter - that's a wonderful book, and hysterically funny. Buy it with TSOL and feel that you really know something of one of the greatest actor-comedians Britain has ever produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garlic bread.... genius, 26 July 2010
I'll start by saying that after a recent spate of reading twenty plus full or part autobiographical books this is the my second favourite (see my other review for the first). The reasons are plenty.

First, this is a very enjoyable read. Second, I was impressed by what I learnt about the man that is Peter Kay. Having watched most of his live shows and by coincidence seeing most of his appearences on TV and also being an avid follower of Phoenix Nights and Max and Paddy, I personally believed Peter had 'sold out' recently by doing the voiceover for 'Roary the Racing Car'. I can now say however that I was very wrong in this opinion. P.K. is the perfect gent and I now totally get what he did, the way he did it and why he did it and so a big congratulations to the author putting me right.

Homage is very much due the author, Johnny Dee, not only is this book well researched, offering a balanced view at all times, the author's style compliments P.K's, I can only presume he shares a similiar sense of humour and this often shines through in his writing (he gives a lot by using brackets) and so this book borrowed from the library will be purchased on Amazon by me for a christmas present for me dad who lives next door to Bolton, and he is a tough audience but I have no doubts that he will not thoroughly enjoy this book like I did!

I am also going to search 'Johnny Dee' on Amazon as this is the first time I have been impressed enough by an author doing this type of book. Congrats, mate. All the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Book, 7 Oct 2006
Mr. James Whitby "Bookmad" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This is an unauthorised biography i know. Peter Kay himself mentioned it in an interview and plugged his own book coming out. While this is in no way an in depth look it's far better than his autobiography for biographical detail.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Time, 17 July 2006
If you're thinking of buying this book, consider the following. If you own any Peter Kay DVD and watched whilst listening to the commentary or any interviews/extras then you know nearly everything this book tells you. The author has taken quotes from these DVD's and uses them as if he's the only person who would have listened to them !! A good majority of the book is the author outlining the programmes Peter has made, which if you have watched them you know already. For some reason the author inserts random quotes that seem to have no relevance to Peters story, that just get irritating after the first couple of chapters. True, the author has made the effort to interview people that Peter knew and this gives you some insight into his past, but what I would consider is some major interesting points in Peters life, he skims over with hardly and new information given. I would save your money and buy Peters own biography, and I can only hope that it makes me laugh (unlike this book), and gives you some interesting information that I didn't already know about Peter (unlike this book).

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy both !, 16 Oct 2006
Mr. J. Nolan "Johnny" (Watford, Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
As a fan of Peter's work - (I think he is one of the top three comedians in the country - the others in my opinion being Ricky Gervais and Bill Bailey)- I read this book a couple of months ago. Biographies can by their very nature be tricky beasts. From a quick cut and paste after someone has died, to a well researched piece revealing details and insights. This leans much more towards the latter. The stance of the author appears to be well intentioned. He has done his research, talked to old friends and acquaintances, filled it with facts (sometimes thin on the ground with autobiographies),and not intruded too much with his own opinion. As a journalist he has also met and interviewed Peter in the past which is a big advantage. Having now read Peter's own book, which is very enjoyable, I would recommend to his fans to try both. Being human, Peter will, understandably, not reveal himself warts and all in his own book as an objective observer would. Johnny Dee is very experienced writer and has writen a very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there anyone better than Peter Kay?, 12 April 2014
Laugh, laugh, I never stopped. Peter Kay has the knack of summing up the very essence of the humour of people from the North West of England using their unique use of the English Language to make people laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Funny kindle book, 4 Mar 2014
Ms. Tanis Thomson "ipod worm" (Aberdeen,Scotland) - See all my reviews
Bought this kindle book as I love peter kay it is a great book for some wonderfully light reading and entertainment it would be a great one for all you kindle readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Peter Kay book!, 28 Feb 2014
It's just a great read. It is funny and heart warming and I would recommend it to any Peter Kay fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars peter kay, 21 Oct 2013
I put this on my kindle for my dad to read and he enjoyed reading and if you like reading this type you will enjoy this book

2.0 out of 5 stars Peter Kay, 21 Oct 2013
This is not what I expected, Peter Kay didn't even write it. I heard it was really funny. I must have bought the wrong book. So for the price I was very disappointed.

That Peter Kay Book
That Peter Kay Book by Johnny Dee (Audio CD - 2 Oct 2006)
9.71
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available