5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible story
This was an amazing story of courage in the face of adversity. Reading about the hardships Waris has been through had me in tears but she is an inspiration to all women.
Eveyone should read a book like this, it makes you realise how lucky you are and apreciate what you have got.
Published on 7 Jan 2004 by sarahant

3.0 out of 5 stars read this again
Read this again!!
Good book second time I have read it
Still a good read recommend it to others ,
Published 5 months ago by Peg leg Sue

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enlightening, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Desert Flower (Paperback)
The subject matter of this book is something everybody needs to know about, and hopefully give their backing to opposition to the horrible treatment of women in certain societies. This lady is very brave and strong to write about her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNBELIEVABLE, 31 Jan 2011
Linda Morris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desert Flower (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. You cannot imagine what these girls and women go through the pain and hardship. I will never complain ever again. Very courageous and determined who was only a little girl at the time, has grown into a brilliant woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 29 Sep 2010
meguano (Glasgow, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desert Flower (Paperback)
Life changing book for me. Read it a long time ago and still remember it vividly. She's an amazing woman and a good writer too!

5.0 out of 5 stars AN AMAZING STORY..AND I PHOTOGRAPHED HER!, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Desert Flower (Paperback)
yes, an amazing story and quite bizarre really that i photographed her before she was 'discovered' by one Terence Donovan.
I photographed her in my flat in SW London. I was just strting out taking test shots and my wife (now, a model then, helped with the makeup!
Bizarre really...

4.0 out of 5 stars what a lady!!, 20 April 2010
i could not put it down-read it in 3 days
she is determined, gutsy, no polite Ps and Qs like us Brits, but we never went through what Waris did....
How would things have been if she was not so beautiful??-she would have told another amazing story.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert Flower book, 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: Desert Flower (Paperback)
Excellent book. Until you read this know one nows how lucky we are, or most of us, of how people live or have lived.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written and very shocking, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: Desert Flower (Paperback)
Us westerners do not understand what goes on in places like Africa and to read such terrible things is a real eye opener. This book is not all doom and gloom though, it makes you realise what we take for granted every day. One very brave woman who never stopped fighting!! buy this book you will not be disappointed, you will see the world through different eyes.

4.0 out of 5 stars desert flower, 19 Oct 2009
E. Nicol "Elsjefiederelsje" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desert Flower (Paperback)
An gripping book highlighting the struggles of life for somali women. Found the descriptions of growing up in Somalia the most fascinating and shivered over the clear unequal divide between men and women. Well done for Waris, a great example of a woman taking life in her own hands and against all odds making a huge success of it. FGM?- a very difficult to understand concept and the stuff of nightmares.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waris Dirie - Desert Flower, 11 April 2005
This book was the best I have ever read. Written in such a way that you never want to put it down. Your heart bleeds for Waris and her awful, yet amazing, experiences. It made me cry at points but also managed to bring a smile to my face too. I would recommend this book to everyone - I have passed it around to so many of my friends who have all said the same. Happy Reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is now a "must-read" for my daughters., 6 Mar 2001
By A Customer
How can any one of us Westerners ever complain about how hard our life is after reading this remarkable story about a truly remarkable young woman. I have always believed that women are inherently stronger than men and Waris story confirms my belief. Perhaps the lion breathed his strength into her as she lay sleeping. May her God keep her strong and assist her in bringing to an end forever the repulsive and hideous circumcision of females. I could not and did not put her book down until it was finished. Read it and then regard your easy life in a new light. Roger Cardwell

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Desert Flower
Desert Flower by Waris Dirie (Paperback - 18 Jan 2001)
6.29