on 5 February 2014
This book feels very much of the period when the TV programme Friends was new - the particular style snappy one liners, humorous self deprecation and oh-so-clever observations very much date the book. It's not to say it's not enjoyable, and everything is inevitably of its era of origin, but when a book lacks any kind of substance the style becomes much more noticeable. I'd have loved this in 1996 but some books last beyond their time and some don't and this doesn't. A holiday read but a quick one.
on 3 February 2015
This is my first Nora Ephron book- When I read it I'd just found out that my partner had been unfaithful- the aftershock of realising that my relationship had been something a lot different to what I'd imagined it to be meant I could really relate to the main character Rachel's feelings-it made me laugh sometimes during what seemed like endless days of crying- made me find hope when everything looked bleak and in the end made me feel that I could start again- for that reason I give it 5 stars!!!!
on 15 July 2012
Couldn't put it down - wanted to know the ending, so got me hooked from the start. Yes, it's a thinly veiled account of Ephron's own marriage, but to me that made it even more interesting. I found myself completely despising the husband and the'other woman', and Ephron's description of her is fairly true to life. Don't want to give the story away, I hate 'spoilers', so suffice to say it's amusing and sad at the same time.
on 18 January 2013
It's very funny and also very sad. Much better than the film. I'm certainly going to re-read this book and pass it on to friends to read.
on 17 January 2013
I love this book. Nora Ephron is hilarious even when describing the fall-out of an affair and the effect it has on a marriage. There were passages which actually made me laugh out loud - which I don't often do. It's an unusual book - part autobiography (maybe), part cookery book, part tragedy but well worth a read, and definitely a great choice for a book club.
on 13 July 2009
My edition blurbs this as witty, wicked and worldly, a sensational bestseller ... rather over-egging it, but it's amusing enough for a quick, retro beach read. I'm inclined to agree with the previous reviewer in thinking that my generation, who read it in the early 80s, will enjoy it more than younger readers. But what fun Nora Ephron must have had writing it and what a great way of hitting back at a faithless husband (Carl Bernstein) and Margaret Jay, thinly disguised as frightful Thelma, 'a fairly tall person with a neck as long as an arm and a nose as long as a thumb and you should see her legs, never mind her feet, which are sort of splayed.' A must-read for abandoned spouses!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 December 2012
Light, easy read ; a semi-autobiographical account of the author's discovery - while heavily pregnant- of her husband's affair.
It felt as if it would make a good situation comedy: the Jewish couple, their friends and family and home helps, their psychoanalysts, the narrator's Group being held up at gunpoint...
Bits of it were quite amusing. I liked the account of cheating husband trying to Do The Right Thing and coax his angry, pregnant wife back:
' "I love you", he said. He said it with the animation of a tree sloth. "I want you to come home", he said. "You belong at home."
"I'm not coming home if you're going to see her anymore", I said.
"I'm not going to see her anymore", he said....
And then Mark started to cry. Mark started to cry. I couldn't believe it. It seemed to me that if anyone was entitled to cry in this scene, it was going to be me; but the man had run off with my part. "I'm in a lot of pain", he said.'

Not up to the usual standard of Virago novels but passes the time agreeably enough.
on 31 May 2015
The book itself is small and leads you into thinking it will be a quick light hearted read, but no. Never disliked a character as much as the lead. Boring, rambling and "witty" , no substance and kept on flitting from past, present to past then further into the past. Wouldn't recommend
on 10 February 2014
I've read the other reviews and I'm sorry that so many people are disappointed by the book, as for me, I loved it. Maybe its an American thing. Maybe its a New York thing. Maybe its even a Washington thing, but I found the bittersweet neurotic humour of the book to be spot on. Ephron takes a sad tale and finds the comic bits in it and creates magic. If you've ever had your heart broken, you can relate to the question that the main character asks, where did I go wrong? Rachel Samstat keeps asking that question but in the midst of her cooking up comfort food in the thick of the betrayal she fishes out the laughs. I found myself laughing out loud (very embarrassing on a bus) and reading the best parts to my husband. Who knew that cooked potatoes could be compared to the stages of a relationship?
on 23 August 2012
A great read - a light touch, sad and funny: what more could you want? Oh yes, and recipes, sixteen of them, because the narrator is a cookery writer who can't help chucking in the odd recipe at dramatic points in the narrative. Set in Washington and New York and on the shuttle between the two cities, this is the story of how the narrator's husband had an affair with a woman with an extremely long neck and a nose as long as a thumb, while said narrator was seven months pregnant with her second son. Nora Ephron lived through something similar; she cried, then laughed, then took her mother's advice that everything that happens to you is copy and she knew that some day it would make a funny book - which this most certainly is!