5.0 out of 5 stars Smilla is my all-time favourite literary character
The original, witty, intelligent, unconventional character of Smilla Jasperson is well drawn and quite unlike any other character I have ever met in life or fiction... and yet, given her background, she just could be real.
Apart from the wonderful Smilla, I was fascinated with the descriptions of Greenland, the people who survive in its hostile climate and its...
Published on 25 Feb 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars A really great read!
I loved this book for many reasons. The reluctant heroine Miss Smilla is sometimes charming and funny, sometimes touchingly honest, always very human and easy to identify with. The narration is precise and atmospheric, and the mixture of Greenland culture and Danish society is fascinating. The world through the eyes of the sometimes over-dramatic Smilla is a dark and...
Published on 21 Jan 2010 by Book 1981

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Smilla Dane and Inuit, 14 Mar 2009
A. M. Smithwhite "Amba Smithwhyte" (Paignton, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (Paperback)
This is a fantastic novel, excellently written and translated which I found instructive and totally absorbing. It is a thriller with a great storyline that also gives one a sociological glimpse of the relationship between the Danish and Greenlander peoples. It also teaches one Inuit names for various types of ice and snow. No wonder a film was made from this storyline, it is action packed yet thought provoking with nicely delinated characters. The main female protagonist Miss Smilla is a wonderful woman whom one would love to meet in real life. The character of her deceased Inuit mother who was a hunteress of the icy tundra sounds such a unique and compelling woman. This is not just a novel, it is an artic saga brought alive by a wonderful writer. Well done Peter Hoeg for giving us such a memorable modern classic.

1.0 out of 5 stars That sinking feeling...., 17 Jan 2007
Neil Sellen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (Paperback)
That this is now one of the most reviewed books on Amazon must tell you something.

This book will make an impression on you. You will have an opinion about it. In some strange way it will make you want to share your opinion with others. It must have mystical powers. It's clearly a deeply spiritual book. Isn't it?

I started this book with the best of intentions. It was a long established seller; it came with a good review from a friend whose critical faculties I respect and it drew me in with its well realised opening chapters. A different world, one I wanted to know more about. A mysterious heroine and a classic thriller plot. I was going to enjoy this.

But, rather like sitting in a warm bath with the plug out, I started to feel a mounting discomfort. There are just too many coincidences, too many deux ex machinae and too much coyness with the first person narrative. I began to feel cold and exposed. I wanted to get out. I had to force myself to stay with it. To see it through just in case it got better. It didn't.

By the time we reach the final third, on board ship, we are firmly in Alistair MacClean territory. Think "Fear is the Key", all scampering along corridors and hiding in holds, fending off psychos and matelots. Except it wouldn't be fair to compare this to Mr MacClean. He at least, could maintain dramatic tension and engage the reader. Mr Hoeg (or possibly his translator) seemed to me to be quite wilful in their refusal to develop any pace or engage us emotionally in the plot or characters.

By the time the bath had quite emptied I felt really very cold. I had lost all interest in why the boy died and had none at all in that cypher Smilla. It doesn't work as a character driven novel; it doesn't work as a thriller. It just flatters to deceive.

Like my bath, cold and empty.

So, to sum up. Buy this and be the 46th person to review it on Amazon. It'll be the best thing about the whole experience.

By the way.... has anyone else noticed that the title has a strong metrical resemblance to a line from Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

Bismillah! we will not let you go!"

I wonder it it means something

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (Paperback)
Well worth reading this sophisticated crime story

4.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Read, 13 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (Paperback)
A keen reader of more traditional forms of crime writing, I enjoyed this book very much. It took me a while to uncover the character of Smilla, the narrator, but I enjoyed the fact that she was painted as unsympathetic and uncompromising. There were a few passages, notably some of the more violent ones, where I felt the author was not writing entirely convincingly as a woman, but these were few and didn't detract from the compelling and intriguing nature of the book. I don't know much about Denmark and, frankly, am not inspired to find out more about it. However I am now very curious to learn more about Greenland and about Peter Hoeg's knowledge of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Miss Smilla's poor conclusion, 21 May 2005
It's freezing an extraorninary -18c & it's snowing & in the language which is no longer mine, the snow is qanik. A small boy falls to his death from a city rooftop. Accident. say the police. Murder says Smilla. She can read the marks in the snow.
This book was our reading Groups novel of the month of May. It is a murder mystery which in my mind remained so right until the end. The abrupt conclusion made me go back fifty pages so see if someone had removed my bookmark whilst I was away.
Tough going & dissapointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars good idea, not very well used, 29 May 2006
RAMON (Santander, SPAIN) - See all my reviews
This is a very peculiar thriller. A woman (Miss Smila) is a half breed inuit/danish girl. She was born and brought up in Greenland, and so her feeling for snow is keen an different. When a child in the neighborhood falls from a roof she smells something fishy and starts an investigation on her own, which carries her far and away.

This is what makes the novel so fascinating: the ability of the main character to see where other's don't see, to derive information from different sources. She is a misfit - a clever and gifted misfit - but takes advantage of that. In my job I have to use cold and ice and physics and find this novel most inspiring: gives you a sense that nature is well done, everything fits in her.

The novel has action, sex, love, mistery, investigation... I'd like to give it 5 stars, but there's a flaw: I don't think the author has had a good idea in the way to solve the plot, to wrap all the information in a clever final twist. The first 80% of the novel are tops, but towards the end the action becomes muddled. This is very important in mistery, so I have to give it 3 stars. However, this is much better thant most of the hidden templarian mistery novels that flood the market nowadays.

This means that you can take it with you for a vacation, but won't make you remember that summer because of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different and interesting, 13 Sep 2007
This review is from: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (Paperback)
I liked this because of the descriptions and fine details. Obviously this does not appeal to a lot of people who demand more than that from a thriller. Although it moves along at a slow pace I still was interested in the story. The plot does require concentration. The story really is an old one, about a bunch of guys hiding a secret and bumping off those that find out. More or less. The story does slide into X- files territory at the end. In fact there is an X-files episode set in the arctic about some nasty worms. The end could have been better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much detail, 31 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (Paperback)
The pace of this story is too often peppered with overlong digressions into Smilla's past and lectures on the nature of snow and ice. While the book is building to its climax, it's like watching a film that is being continually interrupted by adverts. The denouement is also a let down, with the book's big secret being neither particularly earth shattering or used as well as it could have been. All-in-all, I found this to be an unsatisfying read, full of unsympathetic characters that I neither cared about nor wanted to know more about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard going but still enjoyable, 11 Feb 2012
There are so many good reviews here I wont add much, suffice to say I read the book becase it was something I picked up out of sheer boredom and I read it over the next few months - it was hard going for me, as I didn't understand a lot of it - but it is brilliant.

I found it hard to understand parts and to be fair didn't really know what was going on much of the time, but it gets better and better the more into it you get. Smilla is such a likeable character and the book twists and turns constantly.
It transported me to places I'll probably never visit and I honestly didn't mind that I didn't know who anyone was half the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 1 Mar 2011
Mrs. K. Micklethwaite "Kazzy M" (Notingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me and how pleased I am - its a sheer delight to read and not your normal run of the mill detective type of book. Very very enjoyable

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow
Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Felicity David (Paperback - 4 April 1996)
6.29