5.0 out of 5 stars We all love trees
Published on 2 Dec 2007 by Mcduff

3.0 out of 5 stars He sure does plant trees. The end.
Published on 9 Oct 2012 by Sam Quixote

5.0 out of 5 stars We all love trees, 2 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Man Who Planted Trees (Paperback)
The title of this short story gives it away. It's the tale of a man's dedication to planting trees, how it has a profound effect on one traveller and a region of south-east France. The message for us in this allegorical tale, is that with focus and dedication on the right thing, we can have an impact which far outweighs our initial effort. This isn't just a book for people who love trees, it's for anyone who recognises the importance of the environment and the need not just to protect, but to help regenerate it.
I found it while staying with friends and read it after everyone had gone to bed - nightime accentuated its sense of mythical.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle and touching story, 19 Jan 2007
D. Miles (Yeovil, Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Who Planted Trees (Paperback)
This book was given to me as a gift by somebody I used to work with (Thank you Ross) following hearing it on Radio 4 as a play.

The story is like a breath of fresh air in what can seem to be a complicated and troubled world. I tend to read this if I need to re-ground myself, and it never fails to deliver.

I have also read it to my children as bedtime stories, and they all love it. I tend to feel if everybody read this book the world would be a nicer place.

Please read it and see for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent edition of an excellent book, 9 Sep 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Man Who Planted Trees (Paperback)
This edition (by the Harvill Press of London) is particularly handsome--the woodcuts used to illustrate the pages are better than on the other editions I've seen, and the cover is in fine paper, rather than in the generic chrome-coated covers of other editiions I've seen. If you're going to buy this book, this is the copy you'll want.

5.0 out of 5 stars A near perfect book, 21 Sep 2011
This book was bought for me by a dear friend many years ago. I have lost count of the number of people I have given it to myself now. It is such a gentle timeless tale. This book is ideal for a gift for those you love , but also for those you don't know that well but want to give something special to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Who Planted Trees, 21 Aug 2011
This is a lovely little book with a moral in the telling. Good value for money and a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful story, 22 May 2006
Mrs. M. Murray (France) - See all my reviews
A truly thought provoking and delightful story, every child should read it: also every developer who cuts down trees to build shopping centres.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding parable for modern world, 8 Feb 2009
T Collins "Collins" (Stirling) - See all my reviews
This is one of the most wonderful books you will ever read. On the surface it is a simple story of one man's encounter with a shepherd. But beneath the surface it is a story about humanity and our potential - as individuals - to transform the world around us. It shows what one person is capable of. It is a revelation.

3.0 out of 5 stars He sure does plant trees. The end., 9 Oct 2012
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Man Who Planted Trees (Paperback)
I think peoples' opinions on this book are based more on the message of the book rather than the story itself. It's the story of a shepherd who plants trees over many years, slowly transforming his barren part of the world into a flourishing fecund forest during the years of the First and Second World Wars. And despite the destruction the trees remain. The message - man's capacity for creation is as great, if not greater, than his own for destruction. And godlike acts can be done by anybody, even an uneducated shepherd.

A fine message I agree, and with strong environmental imagery this is something many people have latched onto as literature for people who care about nature. Sure, except...

Except it's a short story not a book. If you took away the large font and the page long woodcuts (though they are an excellent addition) and put the story into a regular font on regular sized paper (the paper used here is especially small) you'd wind up with a story maybe half a dozen pages long.

And the story is especially simple. Man plants trees, trees grow, man dies. The end. The writing is ok but not spectacular, nor is the story especially memorable. Really it's just a very average short story that nonetheless has become something of a popular classic because of it's accessibility and positive message.

"The Man Who Planted Trees" is not the best read nor as profound as others would have you believe and is one of the few books I've read where I've found just reading the title would have told me everything about the book without having to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful tale, 14 Jan 2011
This is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. It is one of my most given presents. Nearly everyone I love has been given a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Little Book, 18 Dec 2009
D. R. Gurney (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Who Planted Trees (Paperback)
The Man Who Planted Trees is a heartwarming story which is acccompanied by some excellent illustrations.
It just shows what determination can do and what can be accomplished by someone who persues an ideal over the course of a lifetime.

Highly recommended.

The Man Who Planted Trees
The Man Who Planted Trees by Jean Giono (Paperback - 16 Nov 1995)