5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read in a very long time, intelligent and interesting, 19 Dec 2008
L. DEE "Hila" (UK) - See all my reviews
Although I would have rathered have a beter ending to the book, I found that this book has taken me all the way to Greenland and Denmark, becoming an Eskimo, being smilla.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Picture of a Young Woman's Mind, 2 May 2010
Answering the Customer, I have to say that being a woman myself, I had to stop countless times to catch my breath while reading the book, so amazed I was with the author's insights into a woman's mind. Smilla's thoughts, motivations, even her lifestyle - I could put my name under all of it. I'm actually surprised a male writer could see so well through a woman's psyche. An absolutely gorgeous book - a long, slow, luxurious read. The translation is gorgeous, too. Can't get any better. Absolutely love it.

And it's a breathtaking thriller to boot! If I could describe it in one sentence, think Susanne Vega's Tom's Diner (yeees, the song) meets Alfred Hitchcock. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (Paperback)
Great insight into life as an "outsider". Wonderful education all round, great descriptive. Well worth the effort, it's fairly long but doesn't drag

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, good quality writing, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (Paperback)
I now have an understanding of the relationship between Greenland and Denmark, and reading this book in Copenhagen made it even more real. Good story, good quality writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Greenlandic wonder, 3 Feb 2011
Mr. G. Kania (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smilla's Sense of Snow (Hardcover)
This was a surprising and gripping book, but not for the plot itself. The murder mystery plot line toddles along but did not grip me, however the tale is told through the eyes of a female Inuit from north Greenland who has settled in Denmark. She speaks with passion about her culture and the lot of Greenland and Greenlanders, the story is peppered with nuggets about the culture and the language, the people and the places as well as greenlandic life, and the lot of greenlanders to move to Denmark. Hoeg, a Dane, is in touch not only with his feminine self, but also his greenlandic self! He used to be in shipping, and I presume he's drawing on his experience of visits to Greenland for this story, as well has his detailed knowledge of ships which is used here. I have only one apologetic gripe: the version I read was for the US market, and so had been translated into American English which did not sit well at all: it was the first fictional book I had read in American which was not by an american author, and I found it quite off putting to read about 'sidewalks' and 'faucetts' and 'subways' to say nothing of havinging to work out what the degrees Fahrenheit mean in the more familiar Celcius - and as you can imagine, there was quite a lot on temperatures of things! Still i have no "ax" (us spelling apparently!) to grind!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual book, 13 Mar 2013
Pat Clapp (Whittlebury, Northants, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smilla's Sense of Snow (Hardcover)
It was chosen for our book club and was a very interesting read. Good atmospheric description of life in Alaska. Found it difficult to get my head around that she was made of snow, but had buried her Father and had a 'den' etc. Enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend it to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars A man's image of a woman's mind, 30 April 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Smilla's Sense of Snow (Paperback)
I found this book to be very well written. Peter Hoeg's use of lanuage was wonderful. As an english major in collage I am very particular about what I read. I was kept interested through out the entire novel. And recommended it to several people.
However, I was bothered by Smilla. I don't know any women who would act the way she does, or who focus their attention on what she does. I think Peter Hoeg missed on that account. I was very aware through out that this was a man's image of a woman's mind.

Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow
Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow by Peter Hoeg (Paperback - 6 April 1995)
Used & New from: £0.01